Topic: AIM - Breathing Space

After a month of filming and another month of digital effects and editing, I am proud to release my latest short film, Breathing Space.

This film is an entry into AIM. Thank you to Darkbrick for hosting that great contest.

- Special thanks to Alexander Suppe for scoring the film and providing sound effects. He did a great job, and was a help and inspiration throughout the creation of the film. I never would have been able to do the sound design as well as he did it.
- Thank you to Burkhard Schloemer for providing some LDraw models for the film. Hopefully I can give them more screen time in the director's cut. Make sure to visit his site, Brickcommander.com, where he has a lot of great stuff.
- Thank you to the people who helped out in little ways, including Roger, Phillip Heinrich, Andrew Rosche, and William Chamberlin.
- And finally, thanks to everyone who's made a space brickfilm. If you have, I probably watched it (And was inspired by it) while planning this film. mini/smile

This was by far the funnest film I've made. Every day filming was a blast. I used only free software for most of the digital effects. If something looked cool, it was probably done in Blender. I also used Cinegobs Keyer for two greenscreened shots and Photoscape for some color correction.

I look forward to your critiques and comments. Thanks for watching. mini/smile

Youtube

RMV Small (450 by 225)
RMV Large (800 by 400)
RMV Massive (1600 by 800)

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (August 13, 2012 (10:57am))

Re: AIM - Breathing Space

This film had style by the brick full. Your digital skills, sound and graphics are tip-top. The story was great even if the ending was a little flat. Anti gravity was a very great idea, that's what makes brick films such a great medium. You can do awesome effects for little cost.
So cool, well played!

Check out "The Bulls New Caravan" my THAC 6 entry or visit the Bodville website.

Yes, I think this film did have some cool graphics, the sound was good, some very good camera work too with the camera dolly effect. This is filmed at 24 FPS right?

http://www.bestbrickstudios.net/images/banner003.png

simpsonking wrote:

Yes, I think this film did have some cool graphics, the sound was good, some very good camera work too with the camera dolly effect. This is filmed at 24 FPS right?

Actually, most of it was shot at 15 fps.

- Leo

Last edited by Leonardo812 (January 13, 2009 (08:30am))

Pure awesome. But there is one thing that I noticed in a couple shots, the character isn't in focus but the digital face is. That's pretty minor though.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Well, being hardly more than a novice in the field of brickfilming with only one film to my name, I don't really feel up to the task of reviewing your work. That said, I enjoyed it a lot. Silky smooth animation, great cinematography, excellent soundtrack, solid effects, nice story.

After above comments I decided to download the massive version to take detailed full screen look on the digital effects. What I've noticed:
- some pixelation around the head when the minifig passes to the left in front of the window
- the red helmet seems digital once it slips over the robot
- the face does indeed stand out from the rest at times (not so much the focus as the intensity of the black, imho)
- after the robot crawls into the vent, it swooshes to the left without moving its legs
In short: nothing worth mentioning, and I wish I could do stuff like this only half as good.

If you'd put a gun to my head to force critisism out of me, I'd say that the during the fading in and out you can clearly make out the 8 bit like circles (artistic desicion? result of compression?), which I feel doesn't match up to the quality of the rest of the film, and that there's too much digital elements, like the robot-legs, robot-eye, air vent grate and control panels, which detracts from the overall lego-feel a bit. Oh, and the plot is a bit sudden. But only a bit!

98/100

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

Thank you for the review, papaguru!

The fading with the circles was done on purpose. I felt like it matched the mood and feel of the rest of the film.

papaguru wrote:

....and that there's too much digital elements, like the robot-legs, robot-eye, air vent grate and control panels, which detracts from the overall lego-feel a bit.

This film was especially tough for me because when I made it (last year) I was just starting to get into CG work, so I do feel like I was a bit ambitious with some effects work that I wasn't quite ready to tackle. I love effects, so it's always hard to plan out a film to be a good film, not just have cool effects.

- Leo

Leonardo812 wrote:

... The fading with the circles was done on purpose. ...

Oh, okay. A case of "1-open mouth, 2-insert foot" for me then. I'm a barbarian and just can't grasp true greatness.

Leonardo812 wrote:

... it's always hard to plan out a film to be a good film, not just have cool effects.

I hear ya!

On this topic, I did some thinking (I know, I shouldn't, nothing good ever comes from that) on why the plot felt a bit sudden, and I think I got it: once the astronaut and the robot are in the same room, you basically got a classic western showdown. You even got your robot pulling an mean stunt by shutting down the gravity (compare to the black-hat cowboy who makes a side step to have the sun that's just coming up shine directly in our heroes' eyes). But then your hero immediatly shoots the bad guy, instead of giving time to let it sink in how bad a situation the hero is in and thus building up tension.
I think it would have been better to take some time, for example have your astronaut reach for his gun but hitting it instead if grabbing it and sending it through the room. The robot repeats his broken command, smug, 'cause his trick worked. But then we see in our heroes eyes that an idea has formed! As a climax, in a wide shot, we see the astronaut make use of the robots evil stunt to his advantage by flinging his helmet over the robot, just like he sent his gun across the room earlier (compare to the white-hat hero that uses the badge on his jacket as a mirror to blind the bad guy, thus creating an opportunity to shoot the gun from the bad guy's hands).

Off topic: how did you make the astronaut and his gun float so neatly, complete with a shadow on the floor. That's not all digital, is it?

-PG

Version 1 of the the screenplay for episode 2 of The Stunt is finishised, and I really, really] await your critique!

papaguru wrote:

I'm a barbarian and just can't grasp true greatness.

No, no. You're actually probably older than I am. Everyone has a little bit different sense of what "looks right." That's why we all have different favorite films. Everyone has a different artistic style.

papaguru wrote:

Off topic: how did you make the astronaut and his gun float so neatly, complete with a shadow on the floor. That's not all digital, is it?

Good question. It's not a tough effect, there are just a lot of pieces to it.

1) I shot a still frame with a blank set.
2) I shot a still frame of the astronaut on the set.
3) I "cut out" the background and just left the astronaut. I overlaid this onto the blank frame and made it spin a little so that he looks like he's floating.
4) I used the LDraw library to get a 3d model of the gun. I animated this to float and spin as well.
5) I used a 3d model of a minifig to create a shadow on the ground and composited this on as well.

- Leo

It's been about a month since I've seen it, and it's still great.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.