Topic: AIM - The Fun They Had

Here's my entry for the Amateurs In Motion contest.
Tear it into pieces!

(ogg-theora; 32,7 MB; 07:47 minutes; German with English subtitles. Thanks to Squash for helping me translate the very last sentence.)

http://download.lima-city.de/crisscross … sub_en.ogg

EDIT:
If you don't know how to play ogg theora files:
- download VLC
- or search for a codec (Here's one for Windows Media Player)

Last edited by crisscross (January 18, 2009 (11:29pm))

Re: AIM - The Fun They Had

Wow, That was highly enjoyable! The animation was super and the story was interesting. I liked it mini/smile.

-Daragh

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/daragh2me/Avatarsposters/allworkandnoplay2.png

wait.... how did you play that file ? 0_O

-Darkman

EDIT: Oh VLC seems to work

Last edited by Darkman (January 18, 2009 (03:13pm))

https://i.imgur.com/C9qJKA8.jpg
youtube]                   Twitter]

Wow I'd be happy to know how to play it too.

Wow, cool fillm i liked it.

http://www.bestbrickstudios.net/images/banner003.png

Great work!  I enjoyed this a lot.  I thought the animation was superb and your lighting was very effective and the story was interesting.  The only thing I would say is that the circular dolly shot near the beginning, although it was well done, felt unnecessary given the situation.  But other than that it was a very good film.

Thank you, Daragh, simpsonking and Fancypants for your critics. The thought behind the circular dolly shot was to show Margie's room to the viewer in a way that would let him be able to connect the first scene with the following (the first camera angle of the 2nd scene is [well, supposed to be, I spent a long time on getting the best result I was able to get] the same as the camera angle in the 1st scene), so I personally like it as it is.
Thanks for figuring out how to open it, Darkman mini/wink . Hope you watched it, too mini/tongue .
Luke-Jay, I've already sent you a private message. Do you still have problems opening it?

The Fun They Had
----------------

The Good
--------
- Overall, it was a very polished film. You definitely know what you're doing.
- The animation was very well-done. Despite some small set bumps, the animation as a whole never distracted from the story.
- The concept was executed very well in visual terms. The varying styles worked well, from the almost glowing flashbacks to the cold, sharp "teacher room."

The Bad
-------
- Pacing. I felt like parts of the film dragged considerably and could have been executed better at a faster pace. This might just be personal preference, though.
- Despite the length of the film, at the end I was still unclear about what message you were trying to convey. Are you saying that all children should be taught in the same way? The titles at the end that read "Schools today are already designed according to economic interest" did not seem to match the story of the film at all. Maybe you could clarify this issue for me.

Overview
--------
Despite a couple of complaints, this is a very well-made film and is enjoable to watch. All of the technical aspects are above average, and the characters are developed better than in most brickfilms.

- Leo

Thank you Leo for your review. I hope that you'll be part of the panel, I think all of your reviews qualify you for that.
I can see why you've got problems with the pacing (you're not the only one and it's definetely a really slow film), however, I personally really like it this way.
I guess you're totally right about the message. The original short story by Isaac Asimov (which I changed only very slightly) has, as so many short stories do, an open ending. My personal interpretation of it is that if the current development of school goes on, we could end up having loveless mechanical teachers whose only task is to shape their pupils for the needs of economy. You know, "calculate exactly what you have to do in order to squeeze as much effort as possible out of the child". Imagine you'd grow up without meeting your classmates everyday, without learning not just facts but also inexplicable things about life from a human, your teacher.
Together with the setbumps it's the thing that bothers me most when I watch the film nowadays, that the end is rather a random collage than something I spent a lot of time on.

Last edited by crisscross (January 21, 2009 (12:58pm))

Could you post it on youtube caus I cannot watch this file like this.

Thanks.

D.J.M.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Sorry, D.J.M., but that won't happen.
I'd really like to contribute to the spreading of the ogg-theora-format. It's a great thing.
I encourage you to follow my instruction on how to open it (first post).
Besides I like the idea of having to do something for art before you can consume it, which should in this case remain at least the simple act of downloading it. Long long time ago you had to save your money for some weeks, walk to a store which offered video tapes and buy it. This has melted down to the click on a youtube-link.
Think about it.
If you disagree with me, that's fine. I do not force you to watch my film.

Wow, that certainly deserved winning AIM! That was very enjoyable, the concept was very unique, which is probably the reason I'm attracted to it so much. This'll stay on my HardDrive for a long time.