Re: Does the community like Forrestfire101?

Sméagol wrote:

He's only ever been nice to me.

Funnily enough, I only ever posted once on a film of his, when he riddles a Lego figure with holes (and I mean drilled them straight through the torso). I commented something like "That's a waste of Lego!" There were at least two dozen other comments saying similar things, but - for whatever reason - he decided to attack me personally, replying with some vulgar filth that doesn't need repeating. I had liked him up until them - his humour was hit-or-miss, but when he told a good joke it was hilarious - but since then I've come to severely dislike him. Having met a great deal of brickfilmers on BiM and seen some absolute quality films in terms of plot and animation since going off ForrestFire, I've come to strongly dislike him. Instead of complaining, however, I just try to ignore him, rather than giving him an etra view or whatever.

tl;dr No, he was an arrogant git to me and his animations are thoughtless violence.

Last edited by Genzarata (August 22, 2012 (01:59pm))

I don't make Brickfilms. I trade virtual hats.

I personally like his films and I think it's lame that everyone on here hates on him. I respect Forrest and his films quite a bit more than most members of this site's. He makes good, funny films.

This seems like a silly topic. As has been stated the community is, well a community, some people like some things, others don't.

The Bricks In Motion/Forrestfire101 Situation in a nutshell:

http://www.mindgamestudios.com/images/misc/bimff101.jpg

I thought someone should make that. xD

I like to just sit back, relax, and not watch FF films.

RedBrick1 wrote:

Bringing up FF101 starts people fighting like... Sharks and Clowns... mini/bigsmile

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/373228_205734129505015_361018197_n.jpg

Eh, my opinions are somewhat mixed. I don't like the way he became popular through unoriginal, random content and hate his fanbase, yet to be fair he has improved animation-wise recently. Pretty much the reason most people here dislike him is because when he gained his huge following he still put little to no effort into his films and the hundreds of “lego muuvey makers” trying to mimic him.
He still uses liscensed characters and generally immature jokes but his technical aspects have improved. So I have to say, I'm kind of proud of him for doing that even though his fanbase would have stayed with him if he didn't, though I still don't watch his stuff.
Also, what's the deal with people here hating profanity? I honestly see nothing wrong with it. mini/confused

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

It's a kid's toy. Meant for kids. If you're shooting for realism (meaning using language), then you probably don't want to use Lego. Live-action is a lot more realistic than minifigures in my opinion.

I suppose, but the reason a lot of us use lego really is because it's so handy, being able to build sets and characters then create new ones just by rearranging pieces, not because we love to make content suitable for kids. Heck, there have been brickfilms very unsuitable for kids in the past that most of us have loved.
Also I wasn't talking about profanity in brickfilms, I just meant in general.

But he made Brick-filming more popular, so isn't that a good thing? mini/confused Plus he was funny to me when I was 11 years old. (Seriously, I'm not trying to insult his content; this statement is true. mini/yes )

Started to like, then dislike, thought was funny then realized why I didn't like him. Brickfilming being more popular isn't such a good thing is it? You can get the trolls, meanies, and vulgar people into the "fan base" just for it being "popular". I like brickfilming being for those who appreciate it, kinda like certain music genres/bands (Skream mini/cat) of ya know what I mean.

"Of The Pond Films"
*funny quote here*   Youtube | Steam | Facebook

Genzarata wrote:
Sméagol wrote:

He's only ever been nice to me.

Funnily enough, I only ever posted once on a film of his, when he riddles a Lego figure with holes (and I mean drilled them straight through the torso). I commented something like "That's a waste of Lego!"

I saw that and liked it (your comment). I also saw the vulgar reply and must say that that indeed was uncalled for.

No! Why did you start this topic! You've taken a turn down the wrong path, starting another discussion about this!!

Here's another thing: Even though I absolutely HATE his style of animation, I think it's rather mean to make a whole topic about how much we hate a person. Like, imagine how sad you would feel if people hates you for your work. It's not like he is slaughtering real people, he doesn't deserve to be picked on so much. If you are offended by his films, don't watch them. If you don't agree with the fact that his films are more popular than some really great brickfilms (PIRATES RULE) then by taking the time to click on the link and write a nasty comment you are just helping him. Popularity is not always deserved, why is it fair that crappy LMFAO is more popular than MGMT or Sigur Ros or countless talented indie rock bands? Well, it's not, but the point of the metaphor is that if you believe that the masses are wrong the best thing you can do is improve your own art work.

tl;dr you guise are being kind of mean! Let us all talk about how much we hate Soviets instead! mini/smile

jstudios wrote:

Also, what's the deal with people here hating profanity? I honestly see nothing wrong with it. mini/confused

As I like to say it: bad words are bad.
I don't use them because I think it's a rather nasty thing to do, very un-classy, and sinful as well. Naturally, I don't like hearing them, completely regardless of the age of the person who said it.
It's also pretty pointless for people to use them if it bothers some people. And it's rather unimaginative to use them instead of just thinking up a more creative way to express some strong emotion.
Also, you can be absolutely hilarious without using any. mini/smile

Topit wrote:

really great brickfilms (PIRATES RULE)

mini/cat

tl;dr you guise are being kind of mean! Let us all talk about how much we hate Soviets instead!

But then we'd just be mean to the Soviets, and that's not very nice either.

Last edited by Squid (August 23, 2012 (06:48am))

But “bad words” are only offensive when used in an offensive context, if they're just used for emphasis then no harm is done. Anyway, we should end this topic before it turns into yet another flame war on this subject.

Let us all talk about how much we hate Soviets instead! mini/smile

But, almost everyone in my family that is still alive were born in the USSR. What is the point of making fun of a country that experienced more bloodshed than the holocaust?
Remember: you're (sort of) trolling your timezone buddy.

And I agree, we need to close this topic. And fast.

Last edited by Troodon (August 23, 2012 (09:29am))

topitmunkeydog wrote:

No! Why did you start this topic! You've taken a turn down the wrong path, starting another discussion about this!!

Here's another thing: Even though I absolutely HATE his style of animation, I think it's rather mean to make a whole topic about how much we hate a person. Like, imagine how sad you would feel if people hates you for your work. It's not like he is slaughtering real people, he doesn't deserve to be picked on so much. If you are offended by his films, don't watch them. If you don't agree with the fact that his films are more popular than some really great brickfilms (PIRATES RULE) then by taking the time to click on the link and write a nasty comment you are just helping him. Popularity is not always deserved, why is it fair that crappy LMFAO is more popular than MGMT or Sigur Ros or countless talented indie rock bands? Well, it's not, but the point of the metaphor is that if you believe that the masses are wrong the best thing you can do is improve your own art work.

tl;dr you guise are being kind of mean! Let us all talk about how much we hate Soviets instead! mini/smile

I do admit that initiating this discussion was a bad idea, but I only really needed a few replies for clarification, but whatever, freedom of expression. I don't hate him or his stuff, just curious.

We could all learn from Forrestfire though. He released his videos at the right time, and knew what audience to target (intentional or not). He made Lego Batman videos before Lego Batman films were ubiquitous, and at a time when the video game occupied the majority of first page on YouTube when you searched "lego batman".

Popularity really shouldn't be a matter of deserving because if a person appeals to the large audience, then the large audience will like it, but if it appeals to a small audience, a small audience will like it, and you have some say in what audience to appeal to, right? mini/bigsmile

But yeah, I was wrong in making this topic. So if anyone can delete this, then go ahead.

TheBrianMastermind wrote:

We could all learn from Forrestfire though. He released his videos at the right time, and knew what audience to target (intentional or not). He made Lego Batman videos before Lego Batman films were ubiquitous, and at a time when the video game occupied the majority of first page on YouTube when you searched "lego batman".

Popularity really shouldn't be a matter of deserving because if a person appeals to the large audience, then the large audience will like it, but if it appeals to a small audience, a small audience will like it, and you have some say in what audience to appeal to, right?

Wrong. Forrest is a negative role model to many people out there. They think that if they make 5 FPS LEGO Batman videos, their in the "cool zone". All Forrest wants to do is make his lame films. He doesn't care if his audience likes it or not, all he wants is the fame. Not only is he giving LEGO a bad name, but he's giving Batman a bad name. It's as if the whole world enjoys a 10-15 minute animated film of Batman running around smoking crack and treating Robin like crap. He has no room for family-friendly and more thoughtful films like people like Paganomation make.

If you like what Forrest makes, then fine. Be who you wanna be. But, I personally am not a fan of people like him who are just gonna watch him load his videos down with naughty sex humor.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

AnnoyingNoisesProductions wrote:
jstudios wrote:

I don't use them because I think it's a rather nasty thing to do, very un-classy, and sinful as well. Naturally, I don't like hearing them, completely regardless of the age of the person who said it.
It's also pretty pointless for people to use them if it bothers some people. And it's rather unimaginative to use them instead of just thinking up a more creative way to express some strong emotion.

I'll dispute that. If you're uncomfortable with profane language, then I won't hold it against you, but really, I think we've come to a point where profanity can often be the best and most potent way to express extreme emotions. There are only so many ways that one can, for example, express extreme rage. If someone is hopping up and down yelling "SHOOT! GOSH DARN IT ALL!" then no one is going to take your anger seriously. But if you hear someone shouting the f-word over and over, then you know that something's up with them. I think it's the taboo nature of the words themselves that express a certain kind of feeling, more than most other non-profane words can do. Is there a point where profanity can become over-saturated to the point of being unappealing? Of course, as is the case with many other things.

I believe that, as far as writing goes, true mastery of the English language also demands mastery of its colloquialisms, including profanity. Like it or not, profane language has become a permanent part of the modern lexicon, and hearing it in everyday life is, ultimately, unavoidable. I'm not sure I understand your statement about it being "pointless because it bothers some people;" what about those of us who aren't bothered by it? There is really no way to truly appease everyone out there, as someone somewhere is bound to be offended by something.

Last edited by MindGame (August 23, 2012 (02:15pm))

Haters gonna hate.

https://i.imgur.com/4b9NnS3.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/GUIl0qk.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/ox64uld.pnghttps://i.imgur.com/v3iyhE5.png

Hasn't this gotten slightly off-topic? It started out as a discussion of Forrestfire101, and has now morphed into "To swear-or-not-to-swear."

ANP wrote:

I for one agree entirely with ANP, and especially with the sentences in bold.

Plus, there are people who will complain and/or not view a film if it uses profanity, (I am one of them) but you'd be hard-pressed to find someone who will complain if there isn't profanity in it. So logic tells you that NOT having profanity will appeal to a larger audience. And 90% of the time when a brickfilm has profanity, it doesn't even fit/flow well with the rest of the movie. Ya'll are claiming that it is fine to use when "Extreme Emotion" is shown. But what would be the point in sticking in a curse word, when whatever happened didn't merit "Extreme emotion."? And using curse words as "Comedic effect" doesn't even make any sense. When a character starts to utter obscenity after obscenity, and profanity after profanity, it's not funny.....It obscene and profane. mini/eh

Yes, it's impossible to keep away entirely from it. And yes, you hear/see it all over the place. But that doesn't make it right, nor make it ok to repeat.

$0.02