Topic: Fulfillment [2009 re-release]

I am posting this film for the second time (apologies if you've seen it before) because I want to share some exciting news about it.  I entered this in the 2009 LETU (LeTourneau University) Film Festival, and it won Best Picture (for a $400 prize)!  This was fantastic for a number of reasons, of course, but one reason is that it shows that a Brickfilm can still succeed (and even be called the "best") among several/many live action films.  I've found in most cases that festivals shy away from selecting brickfilms as winners, perhaps because the judges are afraid the live action filmers will suspect a conspiracy or something.  But not so in this case!  I am very glad that Fulfillment succeeded in this way, and I wish all of you well in your own ventures in festival submissions.

Note:  The film is posted below in its originally scored state.  I had to re-score it with royalty free music for the aforementioned festival, but as I prefer the original soundtrack (by Coldplay), that is the version available online.

Another Note:  I know many of you prefer watching films on Youtube; however, this particular film could not be there due to video/audio syncing difficulties.  Upon my upload to Youtube, the [intentional] black spaces in the film were removed, and the audio track continued, off-sync from the video.  I therefore removed the video from Youtube and made download links available.  I apologize for any inconvenience.

Film plot:  A businessman contemplates befriending a homeless teenager, but before he can summon the courage, he finds himself in need of a friend.  Both characters find fulfillment at the end of this touching LEGO film set in the inner city.

http://www.tommyandtimmy.com/files/Fulfillment.m4v HD Download - 86.1 MB
http://www.tommyandtimmy.com/files/Fulf … iPhone.m4v iPod/iPhone Download - 25.7 MB
http://www.tommyandtimmy.com/files/Fulfillment_mp4.mp4 Low Quality .mp4 - 21.4 MB

Re: Fulfillment [2009 re-release]

Nate! It's been so long, how've you been?

Great film, mate. Best I've seen for '09 so far. 'Course it deserved Best Picture.

YouTube | Facebook | Twitter
Darkness cannot be destroyed. It can only be channelled.

Very well done. I am certainly fulfilled! Nice music too. mini/smile

It is better to be silent and thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

I remember it used to be every time I visited your website I would watch Fulfillment because I loved it so much. I'm so happy you won $400 for it. It's a beautiful film. No doubt about that. Touching as well.

It's been so long since we've seen you around this place, what have you been up to? I hope to be seeing some great new films from you!

"Animation is about creating the illusion of life. And you can't create it if you don't have one." - Brad Bird

That was beautiful.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

maggosh wrote:

Nate! It's been so long, how've you been?

I've been well, thanks!  Due to college apps and a senior year of schoolwork, I really haven't been doing any brickfilming.  mini/no  Man, I need a good idea.

Splash Studios wrote:

I remember it used to be every time I visited your website I would watch Fulfillment because I loved it so much. I'm so happy you won $400 for it. It's a beautiful film. No doubt about that. Touching as well.

It's been so long since we've seen you around this place, what have you been up to? I hope to be seeing some great new films from you!

Wow!  Well thanks, I'm very pleased that it's been enjoyed.  I've often had thoughts of a sequel, but nothing really came together that would do justice to the original.  I suppose the plotlines all ended.  mini/smile

I really appreciate all of your encouragement!  Hopefully I can put out one more good film before college in August.

Speechless, this is wonderfull stuff. It makes me think.
5/5

''You don't have to tell him how great is coffee is man!''

Nate, this short is truly inspirational. It took my breath away when you originally released it last summer (?) and it continues to do so.

Oh and how did you execute those camera movements? They are simply phenomenal.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

VN wrote:

Nate, this short is truly inspirational. It took my breath away when you originally released it last summer (?) and it continues to do so.

Oh and how did you execute those camera movements? They are simply phenomenal.

Thanks so much.  I use a Canon GL-2, and I usually find that, for tracking shots, it's too big a camera to actually move during filming (I imagine that doing so would result in some large set bumps).  So, I move my set instead.

Usually the tough part about moving a set for tracking shots is that the set turns when you try to slide it.  I found that the best way to keep it steady was to tape a baseplate parallel to my set.  This kept it steady during movement.  This method also resulted in an easy way to judge increments--I move the set half by a stud-length every frame (it's a little hard to describe, but here goes).  So, in frame 1 the studs on the set and on the added baseplate are parallel, and in frame 2 they're offset...and then parallel again in frame 3.  At 15 fps, this makes for a smooth, slow tracking shot. mini/smile

I'm entering a contest myself for $2500.
I came up with a long and complicated script, which was tireing to make. But when I saw this, I realised that it can be very simple and yet go far, so I created a new script.
Thanks.

P.S. Its' a great film.

You can do anything, just have fun while doing it.

Loved this film, I actually forgot about seeing this a while ago. I still like it so much. mini/bigsmile

Very well done, and prize well deserved.

Just goes to show you don't need thousands of bricks, massive sets or hours of dialogue to tell a story.
Very nice work I enjoyed your film a great deal.

CrimStories

Other:  DOTBW      Take Out      Crime Stories      Cyclic     YouTube

This is a great film, man.  It's just... those footsteps bug the hell out of me.  Maybe it's the volume, or maybe it's that it's the same step over and over, but I feel like if you muffle the sound of them, this film would be 10 times better.

You've done a spectacular job, otherwise, though.

-Dave

http://www.majhost.com/gallery/quakefilms/myspace/Brickfilms/whitewallssig.jpg

Hazzat wrote:

That was beautiful.

Hazzat pretty much said what I was going to.

Very nicely done, I applaud your achievement.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

amazing, just amazing mini/jaw

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4876920171_59c4d4ac70.jpg
More videos on my Youtube Channel or on my (now updated) Webstite

Well, this is quite a bump (two years), but after having seen culmination I started searching for the prequel, and now that I found it, I must comment on this. Of course, I should have searched for this before culmination. Now that I have seen it, this is beautiful, probably better than the sequel, which is awesome too. The story was touching, it was all well planned and executed. Aside from the story, I also liked a lot the visuals, especially the camera movements at the beginning and at the end. And the fact that was made without dialogue was in favor of the film, as I think some dialogue would have ruined it. I greatly enjoyed watching this, I loved it.

Again, sorry for the bump, but I think more people should see this, because it's hard to find if you're not searching for it. You'll definitely enjoy it.