KastleVania 4: Legend of Vania

YouTube

KASTLEVANIA IV: VANIAN LEGENDA:
http://youtu.be/BcOHWQBXujw

MAIN MENU: http://youtu.be/uO1cx_c75VE

running time: 146min
year of production: 2012
category: animation/adventure/fantasy
other info: 110’000 pictures, 12-20 fps, thousands of hours of work to build, animate and edit.
format: 16:9, color
sound: stereo
subtitles: english, suomi
http://www.hovinet.com
Facebook: http://goo.gl/JszrU
Twitter: https://twitter.com/hovinet

A story about freedom, death and revenge

KastleVania 4 tells about history of the Bellmount clan and how the youngest member of the family has to face the old nemesis stronger than ever before. Simo Bellmount anticipates the return of forces of evil and sends his grandson to examine the situation in the land of Vania. On his journey, Justus learns a lot about history of the land of Vania, its four provinces with their leaders and about the three legendary artifacts, the combination of which would create the ultimate weapon, the Manasplinter.
Justus ends up living at his grand-uncle’s inn in the peasant village of KastleVilla and leading its people against their oppressors. In light of tragic events and frightening evidence on return of Lord Trakula, Justus must begin a great quest to seek the artifacts and bring forth the balance to the land of Vania. Justus Bellmount, Fisgars Jr. the Blacksmith, Goffheat the Alchemist and the companions must use all means available to defeat Lord Trakula. Prepare for a journey never to forget in the land of Vania!
Phew, We can’t even now realise it’s been 90 months since we started this animation.
We have to say a huge thanks to everyone who has helped and supported us in making this film over the past seven+ years.

©2012 HOViNET team

Last edited by hovinet (January 12, 2013 (10:57am))

HOViNET.com] --- Making Brickfilms since 2002] --- YouTube channel]

Re: KastleVania 4: Legend of Vania

IT'S OUT!!!!????

I can't even remember when I first heard about this project.....

Congratulations, you have just earned the "Longest Publicly Available Brickfilm of All Time" award.

It's amazing what you and your team have done over the years, this is a great film, and I only hope that ya'll receive the appreciation and praise that ya'll deserve. And am I correct in remembering that the effects were all done frame-by-frame? If so, that was a fantastic job. I can't really comment on the voice actors, but I do want to thank you for providing subtitles. The animation is slightly choppy, but it doesn't detract from the viewing experience. Several of the sets so far have been pretty good, so I'm looking forward to the rest....

...OK, there was certainly more cursing than I'd like, and it had a downer ending....So, yeah.

Spoiler (click to read)

So after everything is said and done, there were a large amount of deaths, and everything was really just made a lot worse? The village was re-conquered, but under worse persecution. The super-weapon had been lost, and the old and great heroes had are now dead. (The guy's granddad, and the older wizard.) The villains are alive and/or back in control, and any hope of re-rebelling is now lost. It's usually a good idea to at least give the audience a bit more of a positive ending, and I personally would have ended it shortly after Trakula's death, but it's your movie not mine. mini/wink

I'm not quite sure what my final verdict is on this, but no matter what, you really put a lot of effort into it.
Good job, and I'm glad that you stuck with it.

4/5

P.S. I found your method of animating the skeletons very interesting, and was wanting to look at some of your other techniques, but the "Behind the Scenes" stuff is kinda hard to navigate, would you mind just putting all of those videos into a playlist? Thanks. Also, is there any reason why you didn't simply put them all together into one, longer "Behind the Scenes" video?

Last edited by Pritchard Studios (January 12, 2013 (03:44pm))

7,5 Years is insane!!!
I can't believe you continued animating for so long!

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af150/KalleiSkovde/HighDolphin.png?t=1277025446

Pritchard Studios wrote:

1. It's usually a good idea to at least give the audience a bit more of a positive ending
I'm not quite sure what my final verdict is on this, but no matter what, you really put a lot of effort into it.

2. but the "Behind the Scenes" stuff is kinda hard to navigate, would you mind just putting all of those videos into a playlist? Thanks. Also, is there any reason why you didn't simply put them all together into one, longer "Behind the Scenes" video?

1. That's so Hollywood/USA thing to do - that always positive ending.
Well, there are some positive things because the Hornjacks, Justus and Mayor stayed alive!
So there is option for KastleVania 5...

2. There are many making of clips on YouTube and yes they are hard to navigate. Maybe this helps you:
KastleVania 1-4
Teasers&Trailers playlist
Making of playlist

Last edited by hovinet (January 13, 2013 (01:06am))

Gonna set aside a full morning/afternoon to watch this next week, with popcorn and everything mini/bigsmile

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

Just finished watching it. Very good film, and I hope it wins something.
The ending was kind of a big downer, as the ending should be more positive, since Trakula has been defeated, and peace restored.
I'm not upset by the overuse of language, nor the violence (more realism if there is at least some blood).
Overall score: 9/10
I'm still shocked that it took your team 7 YEARS to make this. I would have probably gotten bored, since I am currently the only person at Lime Brick Studios.

-Troodon

Last edited by Troodon (January 13, 2013 (06:20pm))

Troodon wrote:

The ending was kind of a big downer, as the ending should be more positive,

I'm still shocked that it took your team 7 YEARS to make this

Yep,
Ending is realistic.
Guys with most advanced technology win. Our heroes didn't have guns, (yet !)

7 years is too much, if we didn't have to do normal things... animator go to school, get high grades and director to finish med-school and work as doc....  Then it would have taken only 1-2 years mini/smile

Looks Intresting, I can't watch it right now (super late) i will watch it tomorrow when i have some free time mini/smile

http://i1359.photobucket.com/albums/q799/BrickFIlmerHMS/artforBiM_zps51f66287.jpg

Ah, there are accurate subtitles, good. I'll be watching this when I have time, and then I'll comment, I'm looking forward to it. mini/smile

Yes, there are real subtitles, not just automatic !@#$ mini/lol

Wow, I haven't watched this yet, but I definitely intend to. The scale of this alone is staggering. Over two hours?! That's probably more footage than I'll ever shoot in my life. mini/lol

But seriously, good job on sticking with something like this.

Well, I just finished watching the movie (took me extra long to do so, as I had exams this week, so there wasn't too much free time), and here are my thoughts:

Before I get into more detail, I want to commemorate you for completing such a monumental film. Even if it wouldn't have taken so long under more advantageous circumstances, I still think that it is great you completed what I believe is "The Worlds Longest Brickfilm". Now, on to the review!

The animation was between really great and average. While there aren't really any places in the movie that are badly animated, there are some that are very, well, average. Though when this film has a well animated scene, it is positively great! The climactic fight scene was enthralling, and definitely something to behold! The other fight scenes were not half bad at all, either. Though, I do think that some of the digitally animated effects and characters, like the skeletons, looked very awkward and out of place.

While the story wasn't anything to write home about, it was simple and served it purpose. Though, I do wish we would have gotten to know more about the origin of the struggle between the Belmonts and Trakula, though then again, I don't think the games explained it much either, though I have only played Castlevania 1-4, Bloodlines, and Dracula X, so the newer ones might explain it.

I'd say that my biggest problem with the movie is the characters and character development. I'm not sure if I missed something, but we really never got to know any of the characters or any of their motivations. Justus never really evolved beyond the "hero out for revenge against the man who killed a loved one", and we never really got to see any side of him besides the generic action hero. The other characters have an equal lack of personality or character. If we got to see more of each characters faults, quirks, and traits, it would have made the film even better than it is, as we could really get attached to these characters.

While doing something like that is often hard to do in a 3 to 8 minute brickfilm, when your film is 2 and a half hours, you have some time to flesh out the characters

Now, as for the ending, I personally think it was fine, and a nice setup to a sequel. Its okay for a film to have a downer ending, as long as it serves a purpose, and isn't just a downer ending for the sake of having a downer ending.

But all in all, this is a great film you have here, and I am eagerly awaiting a sequel, which hopefully doesn't take as long to make. And thank you for providing subtitles, so that everyone can enjoy this great film you have! mini/bigsmile

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

50k views, wow.
When we uploaded this we thought that it would be nice if this got 1000 views this year. We didn't expect large audiences because this film is so long and not youtube-generation-friendly mini/smile

Well, you know, you did alot of promotion for this. Anyway, I loved this film. One of my favorite brick films. The story is good, the fight scenes were intense, and I hope you do make a fifth one. mini/smile

Great job, really! We love your sets!
Congratulations for making the longest brickfilm ever! mini/bigsmile

France & Alex wrote:

Great job, really! We love your sets!
Congratulations for making the longest brickfilm ever! mini/bigsmile

Actually, the longest brickfilm EVER is almost 4 hours long. KastleVania 4 is the longest PUBLIC brickfilm.

First month YouTube-stats after release of KastleVania 4:
http://hovinet.galleria.fi/kuvat/Tilast … /_full.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMZb1OXsKrI

Final battle is over mini/lol
It was 3 days in Helsinki, ModelExpo. We gave away 230 DVDs and met many fans AFK.

2 years since release day.
77300 views.