Topic: Dolly Test

A test I made a little while ago for my next film- http://youtu.be/f91JbXTxdy4
The movement was done with a brick built dolly I made. (If some one wants to see it I can post a picture of it)
Thoughts? mini/smile

Re: Dolly Test

That was in-camera? Wow.
It looks great. Slow, smooth, and just perfect.
What's your rig look like? I'd like to see how you managed this.

It is perfect.

I can detect absolutely no flaws in this.  Each frame seems to be consistently paced.

Did you build a mechanism involving gears as I do for easy dollies, or did you carefully measure every frame?

I used gears (one crank turn a frame). The one flaw was at the begging so I took it out (I realized I hand to spin the gears enough so they touched the track mini/tongue so I learned something) I will take pictures later today mini/smile

Double post.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ENDfilms/dolly/picture_1.jpg
(the rig)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ENDfilms/dolly/picture_4.jpg
(the mechanism)
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ENDfilms/dolly/picture_3.jpg
(sticky tack keeps it from moving)
Hope this helps mini/smile

Last edited by END films (December 2, 2013 (06:46am))

Wow, just did the math...1:375. Quite impressive. Also, very smooth animation. Good job. mini/smile

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

END films wrote:

The one flaw was at the beginning so I took it out (I realized I hand to spin the gears enough so they touched the track mini/tongue so I learned something)

Ah, yes.  My machine does that same thing.  One just needs to remember to twist it a few times to make sure it's moving before shooting.  There are little gaps between those teeth from all of those gears, and changing directions will always have that happen.

Usually you can just delete the first few frames.  But it would be a pain if you forgot to set it turning the correct way and were also animating something in front of the dolly and those first few frames were something essential.
Luckily, that's never happened to me after using mine for a few years, but I remain extremely paranoid about it.

Fantastic work! That was incredibly smooth. Interesting mechanism, too.

This has pretty much convinced me to buy a Logitech 9000 Pro. It seems like an upgrade from my current DSLR. Easier to use for camera movements, too.

Thanks every one mini/smile
@brickstory if you get a webcam get a c920 it is much better (I have one but my computer doesn't have enough ram)

@brickstory if you get a webcam get a c920 it is much better (I have one but my computer doesn't have enough ram)

Ok, thanks! I'll have to check if my computer can handle it.

2 GB ram minimum and 4 GB ram recommended.

@Brickstory - I'm not sure why you'd choose to go from a dslr to a webcam. I mean, look at ANP's work. I believe it's all in camera. And if you want to see a rig similar to this for a dslr, check this out. Now, I'm not saying you have to stick with a dslr, I'm just a little confused why you'd make the switch, when the quality of dslr's tend to be better (or so it seems to me). Oh well, it's up to you.

http://bricksafe.com/files/Legoguy501/BiM%20Signature.png
2nd place Darkness and Light entry: The Tree
Behind the Scenes

legoguy501 wrote:

@Brickstory - I'm not sure why you'd choose to go from a dslr to a webcam. I mean, look at ANP's work. I believe it's all in camera. And if you want to see a rig similar to this for a dslr, check this out. Now, I'm not saying you have to stick with a dslr, I'm just a little confused why you'd make the switch, when the quality of dslr's tend to be better (or so it seems to me). Oh well, it's up to you.

My rig does work very well for my camera.  With it, I can achieve basically the same effect as Ender's rig.
However, there are still some things that I cannot do well.

For quite a while, I've been wanting to create something which would allow me to to tilt my camera.  Having it tilt more or tilt less as the shot progresses in a very slow manner.
Unfortunately, my attempts to attain this goal have always resulted in failure due to my camera's unforgiving weight.
However, with a webcam, it might be possible to create my holy grail of rigs.

Of course, to a person not as obsessed with slants as I am (every other human being upon this planet) it's probably not quite as attractive of a prospect.

Though, in other respects, I find the weight of the camera very useful.  Just setting it on the set will poise it right around at a minifigure's eye level, and its weight keeps it from easily being bumped at all.

Though, I'm sure that there is some way to build the rig I want, however, I'm not yet sure how to do it.

legoguy501 wrote:

Yeah, it may seem silly to switch from a DSLR to a webcam, but I have a truckload of reasons. It isn't just that they are smaller, lighter and perhaps easier to handle. My main problem is with light flicker.
I contacted Squid sometime during summer about this problem, because I knew he too used a DSLR camera. He kindly advised me to set my aperture to f8, which actually helped cut down the amount of flicker. I've learned a bit more since then. Apparently, no matter what you do, something about the exposure of a DSLR camera will always change between shots,causing the light to change. It's pretty annoying to hear.
I've already made this longer than necessary, so: long story short, webcams seem like the ultimate solution at the moment.
Thanks for the suggestions!

webcams main problem flicker wise is the dreaded "line flicker" were if a scene is too dark or has too much of one color but it can be easily removed with msu deflicker in virtual dub

My favorite part are the rocks in the background! mini/smile

Thanks. If you want to see more of them wait till the fill this test is for is done (An Average Day in the Park) mini/smile . It probably won't be finished till next year (due to THAC and other projects)

I'm a bit confused. Was that a dolly shot or a zoom-out? Either way, it looks great and the quality is tops.

Webcams don't have optical zoom so it is on a dolly going backwards.

I'm I actually had gears maybe I could make this...This was amazingly smooth.

"With those bricks we know and love, anything is a possibility!"-Smoky Air Studios