Topic: Handling Criticism

How do you handle criticism? Say someone post a comment on your video and says that your brickfilm was just awful, and not just that but starts cussing! Would you block that person? Would you change the problem that they had?

Re: Handling Criticism

Depends if it's constructive criticism or not. I try to accept that there's always going to be people posting those kinds of comments on videos, no matter what the quality is. I suppose you might want to block it if you have a generally very young audience who may be looking at the comments, but really my main advice is just listen to the actually constructive criticism I guess, and then make a better film based off that advice. Comments that just say 'this was rlly frickin dum' with no reasons behind it are probably just trolling and/or wouldn't be won over with a quality film anyway. I wouldn't say you should block out any negative criticism in your films, generally that's not a very good idea as you form an echo-chamber where you get stuck in the belief that you don't need to improve.

In short, if you read it to yourself and it makes sense, you might want to take it into account as criticism, if it's an attempt to troll or just be mean for no reason, simply laugh and move on.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Don't bow to the complaints of a few loud complainers. Especially if they're cussing at you, that's generally a good sign that their opinion isn't worth a great deal, at least feedback-wise (unless you happen to be in a kitchen with Gordon Ramsay, perhaps).

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

If someone has legitimate criticism, then they don't need to cuss. As soon as they cuss, their point is invalid. That's always been my opinion.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I learned that if you reply to the comment then your giving the person even more power. If it's one guy, then Don't sweat'it man. Just ignore and it will stop. Can you post a the comment that the person made?

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Me and my co-host talked about this subject on my podcast. Here's a link: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vX5r2O8z8C … kJt5W27fox

But yeah, if someone's complaint is legit, I accept it and try to learn from it. But I try to make my channel family friendly as far as comments and I delete comments that use bad language.

If they start to swear, that's one of the farthest things from constructive criticism. Pay them no heed, unless they have some authentic critique to share with you.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

jstudios is right - there's a difference between constructive criticism and destructive criticism. The constructive type is what you should listen to, those who comment such will give you good feedback on your video, possibly with tips and points on how and where to improve. Destructive criticism is like your example, and doesn't include any helpful comments at all, just someone raging or trying to make you feel badly.

jstudios wrote:

In short, if you read it to yourself and it makes sense, you might want to take it into account as criticism, if it's an attempt to troll or just be mean for no reason, simply laugh and move on.

Respond to it directly. Take their points and retort with sarcasm and swearing. Scream about how they don't recognise your genius. Then cry.

Seriously, yeah. If its constructive, listen and try to respect their viewpoint. If its just blind insults then ignore. If your getting a lot of negative yet constructive criticism, you are welcome to get mad - you SHOULD be getting mad - just get mad privately. Step away from the computer. Quietly rage alone, away from anyone else. Then come back, try and see things from their point of view, and chances are you will probably apologise. (I really wish Michael Bay would do this, rather than just grab handfulls of money and use them as earmuffs)

DON'T rage in public. Even if your right, you'll look like an unlikeable, immature idiot. Trust me - I've done it. At night my small intestines still try to strangle me with embarrasment.

Last edited by Max Butcher (March 23, 2014 (11:02am))

YouTube
Max, She/They

There are two types of criticism, good criticism and bad criticism.
I recently built a car an felt it wasn't just right, so I posted it on the internet so people could point out to me exactly what's wrong with it and got both types.

Good criticism:

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I feel that the grille part on the front of it juts out too far and looks rather odd, though.  Maybe try pulling the round part back one stud or find a grille piece that sticks out less.

However, the back of the car is much too bulky and built-up.  I'd bring it down by at least a full brick and try to make it more uniformly smooth.  Right now it just looks really thick and awkward compared with the nice smooth front.

Bad criticism:

Some vispwoshton on Twitter wrote:

Is it supposed to look ugly?

Flying minfig points out exactly what's wrong and suggests how to fix it, and now I have a better version of my car.  This is good criticism.
Some vispwoshton on twitter is no help at all, he just insinuates that it's ugly and doesn't help me improve the car or do better next time.
This is bad criticism.

Criticism is a good thing if used correctly, but it should be constructive.  With criticism one can become a better artist.

And then there are those people on the internet who are horribly rude, and sometimes will even go off cussing at you and your work.  This rarely happens to me, though.  Most people use profanity to express their positive feelings  towards my stuff usually.  Which is a bit disappointing since I've had no one hate on me really hard in a very long time.  It makes me feel good and warm and fuzzy inside to know that somewhere out there there is someone who hates me.
(I don't know if that happens to any other people in the human race, though)

I like trolls. Whenever I get trolled, I feel honoured that I'm important enough for someone to target me.

Its kind of like being on a 'Most Wanted' list, or getting assasinated...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Squid wrote:

Bad criticism:

Some vispwoshton on Twitter wrote:

Is it supposed to look ugly?

Oh Rob.

On the points on cussing though, I don't think you should dismiss any comment with cussing, just because they swear doesn't mean they don't have a point, the same way you differentiate between someone saying 'this aspect of the film was dumb' and 'you're dumb' you should differentiate between how people can use cusses simply to emphasise their points rather than saying it directly at you. Sure, it's probably a good rule of thumb that most people swearing at you are likely doing it in a feeble attempt at trolling, but if you cover your ears to any criticism that happens to contain a word you arbitrarily don't like, then that won't do much good.

Also agree with Max on the topic of trolls, whenever I get a really stupid comment on my film I get a great sense of 'Wow, I'm popular enough to be hated, GREAT'.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Squid wrote:

towards my stuff usually.  Which is a bit disappointing since I've had no one hate on me really hard in a very long time.  It makes me feel good and warm and fuzzy inside to know that somewhere out there there is someone who hates me.
(I don't know if that happens to any other people in the human race, though)

Max Butcher wrote:

I like trolls. Whenever I get trolled, I feel honoured that I'm important enough for someone to target me.

Its kind of like being on a 'Most Wanted' list, or getting assasinated...

Funnily enough I kinda feel the same way.  Never had anyone troll me, but it's strangely flattering to think that I'd be popular enough for someone to deliberately spend time and energy to insult me in the hopes I'll start some sort of argument.  I've always liked the idea of having an arch-nemesis, but I've never had any reason to hate on somebody.  Even if I disagree with some people on this forum as I have in the past (and in hindsight possibly was a bit blunt and rude to on occasion) they generally have a valid point and I find I agree with at least some of their views, if not all.  And it's perfectly natural to have different views to somebody--if everyone had the same opinion the world would be an extremely boring place.

Squid wrote:

Good criticism:

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I feel that the grille part on the front of it juts out too far and looks rather odd, though.  Maybe try pulling the round part back one stud or find a grille piece that sticks out less.

However, the back of the car is much too bulky and built-up.  I'd bring it down by at least a full brick and try to make it more uniformly smooth.  Right now it just looks really thick and awkward compared with the nice smooth front.

Flying minfig points out exactly what's wrong and suggests how to fix it, and now I have a better version of my car.  This is good criticism.

The fact you consider my comments to be an example of good constructive criticism makes me feel extremely warm and fuzzy inside indeed. mini/cat  Thank you, I'm glad I could be of assistance. mini/smile

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (March 23, 2014 (03:23pm))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Dittos to Jampot.  I have no problem with real criticism, as it's someone looking at your film from a vantage point you haven't yet.  But although I believe in free speech, some people are not critics but jokers, and have nothing valid to say, and they are best off ignored.  Like bullies, people like that just want attention.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

People are always gonna have am opinion and when you are
making films to show to the public you better be prepared to have thick skin.
Some people you can never please because all they can find are faults and never
offer anything constructive just negative.
Then you have the people who generally are helpful and want to offer
advice that can help you.
Good or bad you have to take it for what it is and move on to the next project.
When I was attacked on here by Outsider I never let him deter me, I just carried on because I knew
he had offended a lot of people and would eventually go away or be banned.
Always do what you love and strive to be better no matter what sknejbe tells you.
And remember there are those who and those who cannot.
To that I say keep up the great work everyone.

http://i.imgur.com/7cLGni8.jpg

Learning from your mistakes is a fundamental way to improve. External evaluation plays a major role in the process of truly recognising mistakes. Constructive criticism is desirable. Of course some forms of criticism can be disagreeable, but if they bear a valid point, they should be taken onboard nevertheless.

Last edited by Carousel (March 28, 2014 (12:11am))

http://puu.sh/7NBH0.png

Just act natural, don't let anyone get you down. Just remember, people that comment and "troll" your video are people that are just jelly they don't have animating skillzes liek u

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?