Topic: A Johnny Thunder Adventure Movie! (Now in Production!)

Wow, it seems like it's been forever since I last started a new topic! mini/eek I guess I need to start staying a little more current.

Now that I'm back to brickfilming after NaNoWriMo, I've come back to that Johnny Thunder project I've been trying to do on-and-off for 3 years now. Yes, three whole years! And, in coming back (and having grown up a little along the way) I've decided to go back to the drawing board.

Yes, that means that the 'Orient Expedition' themed film has been canceled in the hope that a fresh idea will run along quicker.

So, as of the present, I am working on writing the script and might need some help. (Well, maybe not help, but some criticism and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.)

I'm wanting this to be kinda like Casablanca meets Crocodile Dundee with an Atlantis the Lost Empire spin on it. The Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Mummy clichés that seem to plague other adventurers brickfilms will hopefully be avoided, as, I'd like to step out of the usual artifact-hunting, globe-trotting story and do something with more of a spin on the classic tale, maybe modernizing. (But, not too much like the Uncharted series.) It needs the action and scenery of Romancing the Stone, yet the boldness of Tomb Raider. And to top it all off, I'd really like to make this a black and white film!

With such a plethora of specifications, it's not hard to tell why this film has taken me so long.

So, as I sit here to write and continue on with what will hopefully become the greatest brickfilm adventure ever told, does anyone have any suggestions? For those most helpful, I'll give you a co-screenwriter credit!

Things like voice acting, set designs, and animation will be discussed in separate forums under audio, production, and post-production... but only if I can move on from this thread.

If anyone has any other films they could refer me to, scene ideas aching to be released in such a type of film, or thoughts and encouragement would be appreciated. I'll update this topic whenever I can with what progress I make off of what little I have to start with. mini/smile

Last edited by Dyland (May 25, 2014 (07:20am))

https://i.imgur.com/Z8VtGae.png

Re: A Johnny Thunder Adventure Movie! (Now in Production!)

One thing that always bugged me about the mummy series was the horribly underdeveloped antagonists. Are you going to have the Baron as your main antagonist here or are you going to come up with your own? Either way, make sure you give them a more fleshed out background and some sensible motives. In the case of the Baron, this has probably already been done (I'm not sure though, I haven't read any "lore" regarding Johnny Thunder for about six years or something).

Secondly, what setting are you considering? The original Johnny Thunder sets are cool but the film might end up being too similar to already existing movies if you limit yourself to those sets. I might have some ideas for scenes, that depends on the setting, although I know I'd love to see an action packed car chase thrown in somewhere! mini/smile

Finally, I'm not too sure about the black and white. Personally I think it could look really cool and it could really help to distinguish your film from other adventure type brickfilms. On the other hand, some of the details in the sets might get lost in the process, and I also know for a fact that a lot of people seem to hate the idea of black and white in general.

Anyway, I hope you find some of that at least a little bit helpful! mini/smile

What is the motivation behind using the Johnny Thunder IP? It sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do with your film. Does it really need to be tied to the Johnny Thunder universe?

SurfSmurf778 wrote:

One thing that always bugged me about the mummy series was the horribly underdeveloped antagonists. Are you going to have the Baron as your main antagonist here or are you going to come up with your own?

The original Johnny Thunder sets are cool but the film might end up being too similar to already existing movies if you limit yourself to those sets... I'd love to see an action packed car chase thrown in somewhere! mini/smile

Finally, I'm not too sure about the black and white.

Thanks for responding SurfSmurf. I do agree that in the Mummy series, the villain (especially the villain's henchmen) is like a cardboard cut out of what he should be. I will still use the baron figure, with his trademark monocle, scar, and hook. However, the stereotype ends there. I'll make him much more bloodthirsty and ruthless, maybe with an 'insane' edge, kinda like the Joker had in The Dark Knight; still classy, but more wild.

I really like the idea of an action packed car chase in the middle of a city, something not attempted much in brickfilms. I think that'd be a good contrast to the usual "sword fights" that seem to corrupt almost every brickfilm. Now I just need to decide where this "city" will be. mini/tongue

I have been experimenting on black-and-white film making, and understand that lighting is usually different for b+w movies vs color movies. Similarly, color and shading is different as well. Originally, (three years ago) I wanted to release the film in both b+w and color, so those that'd prefer color can see it like that if they wish. However, if I did do that, the b+w scenes wouldn't look as dramatically shaded, just as you pointed out. Thus, I think I might just go with complete black and white, though, if the film had a modern twist, I'd have to do it in color. Thus, this may have to be decided at a later date.

Overall, thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll be sure to credit your help in the closing credits. mini/smile

Nathan Wells wrote:

What is the motivation behind using the Johnny Thunder IP? It sounds like you've got a good idea of what you want to do with your film. Does it really need to be tied to the Johnny Thunder universe?

Nathan Wells responded! mini/jaw Now I just HAVE to do this movie! mini/tongue

I just always assumed that since I would use several of the Johnny Thunder sets, and most of the main minifigs, that I'd just go along with tie-ing it to the Johnny Thunder universe. However, I did have this idea of calling him Johnny Grant, with 'Thunder' just being his nickname. However, even then he'd be just a Johnny Thunder-rip off.

I like the idea of straying away from a full-fledged Johnny Thunder film, and perhaps creating an original adventurer. (Something I had done in a Creative Writing class a year or two back.) It might be time to dust off that flash-fiction piece and roll with it. Thanks so much for the response, Nathan. 'Beast' was the film that introduced me to the art of brickfilming in the first place! mini/smile

I guess now I just have to draft out an outline and I'm pretty much ready to start production! I'll post pictures of the "newly designed" characters soon. mini/smile

Dyland wrote:

Thanks for responding SurfSmurf. I do agree that in the Mummy series, the villain (especially the villain's henchmen) is like a cardboard cut out of what he should be. I will still use the baron figure, with his trademark monocle, scar, and hook. However, the stereotype ends there. I'll make him much more bloodthirsty and ruthless, maybe with an 'insane' edge, kinda like the Joker had in The Dark Knight; still classy, but more wild.

I kinda like that idea, I say give it a try!

Dyland wrote:

I really like the idea of an action packed car chase in the middle of a city, something not attempted much in brickfilms. I think that'd be a good contrast to the usual "sword fights" that seem to corrupt almost every brickfilm. Now I just need to decide where this "city" will be. mini/tongue

Nice! Well, you could always have it in a desert, jungle, or even amidst a bunch of ruins to make it stand out more!

Dyland wrote:

I have been experimenting on black-and-white film making, and understand that lighting is usually different for b+w movies vs color movies. Similarly, color and shading is different as well. Originally, (three years ago) I wanted to release the film in both b+w and color, so those that'd prefer color can see it like that if they wish. However, if I did do that, the b+w scenes wouldn't look as dramatically shaded, just as you pointed out. Thus, I think I might just go with complete black and white, though, if the film had a modern twist, I'd have to do it in color. Thus, this may have to be decided at a later date.

All very good points. In the end, I think it's all about how you want this movie to feel.

Dyland wrote:

Overall, thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll be sure to credit your help in the closing credits. mini/smile

Yay! Thanks! mini/smile

Dyland wrote:

I just always assumed that since I would use several of the Johnny Thunder sets, and most of the main minifigs, that I'd just go along with tie-ing it to the Johnny Thunder universe. However, I did have this idea of calling him Johnny Grant, with 'Thunder' just being his nickname. However, even then he'd be just a Johnny Thunder-rip off.

You could always "re-boot" the Johnny Thunder universe by writing your own character backgrounds, redefining some things, and adding some new stuff along the way. I think that way, people would appreciate it more since you're expanding on something that's already there while still staying relatively true to the original feel of Johnny Thunder. On the other hand, people might dislike for the very same reason mini/confused

SurfSmurf778 wrote:

You could always "re-boot" the Johnny Thunder universe by writing your own character backgrounds, redefining some things, and adding some new stuff along the way. I think that way, people would appreciate it more since you're expanding on something that's already there while still staying relatively true to the original feel of Johnny Thunder. On the other hand, people might dislike for the very same reason mini/confused

SurfSmurf, I think that if I create new characters, but have a "inspired by the LEGO Adventurers line" in the credits, I can play it safe. The Johnny Thunder-fanatics will be happy, and those who'd prefer to watch original content will be pleased as well. mini/smile

I love this idea! The Adventurers were my favorite theme growing up, and any time I see something done with them I smile...

I like the idea of trying to stay away from the cliches as opposed to making it almost a parody. I agree with what SurfSmurf wrote in that character development, although harder with a brickfilm, it is crucial to any story, but especially action/adventure. If we don't care for the hero, why should we want to see him succeed?

If you're looking for more of an anchored film, I would recommend staying in mostly one location with mostly one (or two) story goals. I find that switching locations or having multiple goals can clutter the film and, due to time restrictions, make everything too easy for the hero.

I like the idea of making your villain almost insane, but keeping him classy. I personally enjoy villains that are refined and polite in proper society, but cruel and heartless (People like Beloq from Indiana Jones, Prof. Moriarty from the RDJr Sherlock Holmes.) when need to be. I think it adds more levels to your hero as well, because a hero is only as good as the villain they fight.

And finally I would recommend you stick with a totally original goal (or treasure or what have you.) Something never thought of before, or used, or even a variation of such.

Any ways, great idea, and I hope you found some of these idea's helpful. Good luck with the film!

"May Warriors Fortunes Smile On Your Efforts, and May the Force be With You."

Thanks for the response, KrazyLegoBrickfilms. I too smile whenever I see something done with my favorite classic LEGO theme, Adventurers. Your suggestions are quite helpful; character development, staying in one location, one or two story goals, and to have a totally original Macguffin to be after.

Since I'm changing the characters up a bit, (actually, more like creating totally different characters, only based upon the originals made by LEGO) I think that I should develop their hometown a little more. Maybe all of this could happen there! (as in the case of Casablanca.)

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with an interest in this project. That is such a strong motivation I was lacking before.

I'll be sure to add you to the special thanks section of the credits as well. mini/smile

Having gotten back from Thanksgiving, I started working on character outlines when my camera broke. Thus, I'm pretty much restricted to waiting to animate until Christmas (when my new one will come.) Thus, I'll wait to post the character descriptions until I have pictures to go along with them.

Aside from that, and any more ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated before I start production. mini/smile

Before I chose to work on a sit-com, my first idea was to make an animated Pharoah's Quest story that ignores Lego Group's stroyline.  These days Lego pre-fabs the world, background and set-up.  In the earlier days of Lego we got to imagine it up all ourselves.  Can't wait for yr series!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

OK, so It's finally time to update a little bit:

My THAC film turned out to be unsuccessful, as, I really wanted to help my little brother do his first THAC, in which he placed much higher than my THAC X film had, just a year before. So, not was all a loss.

However, in trying to find another silver lining, I realized that there was still that JT idea I had always had. So, digging this back up, I've decided to continue it. Having said that, there are some things I want to do.

Though I'd love to do something original, the temptation of doing a flat-out Johnny Thunder and the Adventurers themed movie is just too much! I feel that, though I had some good ideas about original archeologists, Johnny may be my lead. (However, this could change, if anyone can turn me the other way before I start filming...)

As for story, I am currently writing the treatment, which I will then turn into a script, and storyboard. (And, eventually film.) With a macguffin already in mind, I hope I'll be able to finish it soon and share with any who'd like to voice act.

Because of this, I may update this topic little before I move onto production and audio, at which point more suggestions and auditions would be appreciated.

So, hopefully this project will start back up smoothly, and I can maybe even finish this film before the daunting 2015 year of great films coming! (Because, I know that I, at the very least, won't be really paying attention to brickfilms during the 2015 Summer!) mini/tongue

Huge Pic Alert:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/DylandBrickfilms/JohnnyThunderPics/johnny_thunder_title_screen_pic.png

Alright. I have three ideas for stories. All three will be made as a trilogy. (Though, I plan to make more Adventurers Brickfilms in the future, too!) This is the layout for the Title Screen which will be used in all of the movies.

I am still in the process of scripting, however, I have already built some sets, and have all of the needed characters assembled, so, It should only be about a month or two before I am able to begin animating.

I will make a thread in the Audio section for voice casting after the script is finished. - Which should be soon.

I will try to keep this thread current from now on, updating the status of the movie weekly. mini/smile (Unlike what I did previously... Sorry.)

Any thoughts and questions would be greatly appreciated and, hopefully, answered promptly. mini/smile

BTW, if anyone wants a tutorial on how I did the new Johnny Thunder pic, I can send you a link to my unlisted youtube video! mini/smile

I would like to see the tutorial. mini/smile

Rockydude411Bricks, I'm re-uploading the video, as, the quality got messed up earlier, and it was hard to see what I was doing on such a small screen. Hopefully, the video will be up by this evening. (And then stay up, in high quality at that!) mini/tongue

Alright, cool. Thanks!

Send me the link as well, please and thank you.

After requests from Rockydude411Bricks and funmiproductions, I have decided to make the video public, and give it's link in this post.

Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgL6xnK5cLQ

I hope this will help you guys out, and any others who need a similar effect for their brickfilms.

Thanks so much.