Re: The Doctor Who Discussion thread(SPOILER ALERT!)

Spoiler (click to read)

I still think Moffat has completely undermined the entire RTD era. Whenever I see the Ninth Doctor monologue about how he pressed the button that destroyed his own race - I'm going to be yelling at the screen "No! The're stuck in a painting in the National Gallery!"

But I suppose there is still some potential. Unlike the Daleks, who are now nothing but just another baddie, there is all the stuff you mentioned

Honestly, the 12th Doctor can't come any faster. There are hints that he's going to do what I've always wanted: have a really grumpy, misanthropic Doctor who gradually warms to his companions and then gets killed off before he becomes too boring. But I musn't get my hopes up...

YouTube
Max, She/They

Watched the 50th Anniversary in the cinema, and it definitely exceeded expectations mini/smile I think the dialogue between Hurt, Tennant and Smith was genuinely hilarious at times! As well as the throwbacks and references to previous Doctors and episodes!

Spoiler (click to read)

Especially the first shot being the very first shot being basically the same shot from the very first episode!

My only real issue was

Spoiler (click to read)

The whole Zygon issue was glossed over very quickly...I know they were brokering a treaty but the conclusion of that was never really mentioned! On a random note I wished the Ecclestone wanted to be in it...I loved Ecclestone When the War Doctor regenerated it was so close mini/XD

Anyways, I think I'll watch the episode again on BBC iPlayer to see anything I missed ;D

i think it makes it greater, because, for 400(i think) years he's be carrying the weight of an event that never happened, so this has been playing on his conscience for nothing. in effect, making him the greatest causality of the war. as, for the others it stopped, but not for him. its been messing with him.

Well, I just finished it, while (quite appropriately) eating jelly babies.
It went in a totally different direction than I had anticipated, but it did provide a lot of fan-pleasing moments.
There's a few things that I'll have to properly process before being able to write a review, but I did enjoy it.

Thought I would share this.
Dr. Who day of the doctor prequel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Carousel wrote:

FlyingMinifig I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Well, I suppose there's a first time for everything... mini/lol  I'm glad you do though.

Max Butcher wrote:

I was worried that Matt would be overshadowed. I mean, you have two Shakesperean actors acting their acting-pants off here. But Matt manages to stand out as a unique personality.

I don't see why it should be inevitable that Smith would be overshadowed by Shakespearean actors.  No disrespect to Tennant and Hurt (both of whom are brilliant actors), but Shakespeare is one of the most overrated playwright (or even author in general) of all time.  This isn't to say that I think Shakespearean actors are necessarily bad, either, but I really wish people would stop treating Shakespeare as the absolute be-all-and-end-all pinnacle of English literary achievement.

And, something else that crossed my mind regarding the 50th...

Spoiler (click to read)

Would it really be necessary to use an entire nuclear warhead to destroy the Black Archive?  And, even if it would be necessary, who in their right mind would bury it smack in the middle of a city of 9 million or so inhabitants, or even place such a facility as the Black Archives there in the first place?  Has the British Government in the Whoniverse suddenly been overrun by murderous psychopaths?

Still, as I said before, I really enjoyed the 50th, and I can't wait for the Christmas Special to arrive!

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

FlyingMinifig wrote:

Shakespeare is one of the most overrated playwright (or even author in general) of all time.  This isn't to say that I think Shakespearean actors are necessarily bad, either, but I really wish people would stop treating Shakespeare as the absolute be-all-and-end-all pinnacle of English literary achievement.

I would actually agree that some of Shakespeare's work is overrated.  Romeo and Juliet especially.  However, some of the slightly less mainstream stuff is actually pretty good.  Particularly the comedies, and particularly Twelfth Night.
Of course, it can be a little difficult to understand, and sometimes it can take two or three watches to really understand what is going on, but once you do, it can really be quite nice.

I don't think many people really consider him the best writer ever, but his stuff is still pretty good considering how old it is.  It's also interesting to see a story which was written in a completely different time, which in a way makes it feel a bit fresh.

Acting in Shakespeare is also particularly hard to do.  The wording is horribly difficult to say naturally, and some of the stuff is so difficult to understand.  But it's very interesting to play a part that has been played a thousand times and put your own unique spin on it.  And being the character really lets you get into the story and understand it better.

I was actually watching a performance of the Taming of the Shrew yesterday, which I enjoyed mostly because my friend Nick (a brother of the guy who plays Batman in my brickfilms) was playing Petruchio and made himself comically physical and jumped around the set in a way which reminded me somewhat of Matt Smith.

I went to see the 50th in the theater, and it was, as you British people say, brilliant. It was kind of cool seeing all the people at the theater dressed up like characters from DW, there was even a lady in line dressed up like Tom Baker and handing out Jelly Babies. mini/tongue

But anyway, I thought it was awesome. The dialogue amongst the Doctors was spectacular, and quite funny at spots. And I have a couple new favorite quotes, only one of which I can remember since somebody else already posted it. mini/tongue "Shall we request a more advanced door so that we can escape?"

Spoiler (click to read)

I liked the whole Queen Elizabeth, you were originally thinking it was just a short flashback, but then it turns into a much more complicated story. So the scarf girl and her Zygon counterpart - had it been more than an hour since the Zygon took the breather?

I REALLY liked Ten in this,

Not really sure what was happening at the end with all 13 doctors, it didn't make sense for all of them just to appear, there was only one statis cube thingy, they really only needed 3 doctors (unless, of course, there were 13 of those specific points around Gallifrey, but still - they just appeared out of nowhere and nothing else was made of them).

The whole "nuclear warhead under London" was thrown in there as an emotional point for the Doctors, but it did seem a tad ridiculous.

FlyingMinifig wrote:

This isn't to say that I think Shakespearean actors are necessarily bad, either, but I really wish people would stop treating Shakespeare as the absolute be-all-and-end-all pinnacle of English literary achievement.

Acting Shakespeare requires a very specific kind of talent. Its not naturalism, but it is a deeply dramatic role that takes huge effort. Your basically taking another language and making it understood through emotion. Whilst the plays themselves may not be the utter masterworks people claim them to be (though I still love Richard III and Macbeth. Richard III is one of the best villans ever, and I love Macbeth because its basically about an innocent guy getting peer-pressured into murdering a load of people) acting in them is a huge test, and if you can do it then you possess a valuable eloquence. I would probably be doing it right now if it wasn't for the fact I just can't remember lines (it took about four months for me to learn just 10 mins of Shakespeare. Many actors only have about two weeks).

People who are experienced with Shakespeare often bring an added depth and 'oomph' to their acting. This isn't suitable in performances featuring ordinary everymen, but with middle-class men/women in distinct heroic/villanous roles it really helps. Matt Smith doesn't bring that 'oomph' - but he doesn't need to because it doesn't suit his character. The reason why the 11th Doctor has a much stronger underground following than the 10th is because the 11th Doctor is basically a nerd. An idealistic, eccentric nerd who people can look up to.

If you're turned off by Shakespeare, I recommend seeing one of his plays in performance - preferably anything with Sir Ian McKellan (part of the reason why I like Macbeth and Richard III is because McKellan has played both of the title roles). Any play is pretty bland when you just read it (the works of Pinter and Beckett are almost intolerable when read like normal prose) but it is through acting that the material is bought to life. This is why, if the script is bad, its going to be very difficult to salvage anything - hence why I complain so much about bad dialogue.

Last edited by Max Butcher (November 26, 2013 (04:29pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

Oh dear, I just realized that last post was horribly written. I apologize for it, I copied and pasted some of my thoughts and forgot to rearrange them, which means I probably shouldn't write reviews under a time crunch. Hopefully I'll get around to reorganizing them soon.

Squid wrote:

I would actually agree that some of Shakespeare's work is overrated.  Romeo and Juliet especially.  However, some of the slightly less mainstream stuff is actually pretty good.  Particularly the comedies, and particularly Twelfth Night.
Of course, it can be a little difficult to understand, and sometimes it can take two or three watches to really understand what is going on, but once you do, it can really be quite nice.

I don't know, Shakespeare is so famous he is inevitably considered to be one of the greatest authors, even if he isn't the personal favourite of as many people.  I wouldn't mind it if people actually acknowledged that the language and some of his work is pretty dated (it is 500 years old after all), but what really annoys me is that everyone bangs on about how he's so "classic" and "timeless".  Ummm, no.  Whenever I read/watch Shakespeare I can barely even understand what the characters are saying half the time.  That is in no way timeless.

The whole point of a play is that you shouldn't need to watch it several times to understand it (unless it's a deliberately complex and deep story, in which case it is enjoyable to do so).  Plays are meant to be acted and enjoyed.  I can't enjoy something if I don't even understand what the actors are saying because the language is so antiquated.

Squid wrote:

Acting in Shakespeare is also particularly hard to do.  The wording is horribly difficult to say naturally, and some of the stuff is so difficult to understand.  But it's very interesting to play a part that has been played a thousand times and put your own unique spin on it.  And being the character really lets you get into the story and understand it better.

Max Butcher wrote:

People who are experienced with Shakespeare often bring an added depth and 'oomph' to their acting. This isn't suitable in performances featuring ordinary everymen, but with middle-class men/women in distinct heroic/villanous roles it really helps. Matt Smith doesn't bring that 'oomph' - but he doesn't need to because it doesn't suit his character. The reason why the 11th Doctor has a much stronger underground following than the 10th is because the 11th Doctor is basically a nerd. An idealistic, eccentric nerd who people can look up to.

True that--the Doctor is a heroic character, so I can see why it would be useful for an actor to have that sort of experience.  In fact, I have tremendous respect for actors who do Shakespeare--it's painful enough for me just to read him, let alone memorizing the play and delivering the dialogue effectively.

Max Butcher wrote:

If you're turned off by Shakespeare, I recommend seeing one of his plays in performance - preferably anything with Sir Ian McKellan (part of the reason why I like Macbeth and Richard III is because McKellan has played both of the title roles). Any play is pretty bland when you just read it (the works of Pinter and Beckett are almost intolerable when read like normal prose) but it is through acting that the material is bought to life. This is why, if the script is bad, its going to be very difficult to salvage anything - hence why I complain so much about bad dialogue.

I've seen several performances of Shakespeare, and my feelings are mixed at best--I have never in my life understood why he is so famous.  Having said that, I do remember enjoying The Tempest (or at least understanding what it was about)--particularly since the actors managed to make the play very entertaining and there were quite a few funny scenes.  My latest experience was a live-stream of Othello at my local cinema, which I was forced to watch because my English class is analysing it.  I found the following three-and-a-half hours so excruciating I could actually feel myself getting older as I sat there wondering what the heck the characters were talking about.  It was at that point I realized I would never truly enjoy or understand the appeal of Shakespeare.  As it happened, it was a "modernized" version in which the characters were modern-day soldiers.  But the modernization is ultimately pointless if the dialogue isn't at least partially updated either.

As for the play itself--I get that it has the first explicitly black protagonist in Western literature, which I suppose is important, but I find the play itself horribly contrived.  I mean, look at Act III, scene 3, which is the pivotal moment of the play.  Basically Iago says, "I think your wife is cheating on you Othello, because I saw Cassio talking about her in his sleep and then he started kissing me because he thought I was Desdemona"--which is just about the most implausible "proof" ever (seriously, this is worthy of cartoon logic), and Othello responds byordering him to kill Cassio and Desdemona.  Just like that.  I know he's a soldier, but this response is worthy of a homicidal maniac.  The outcome of the play after this scene is basically dependent on a string of contrived situations and implausible coincidences.  I mean, Othello could do anything--like, you know, actually ask Desdemona or Cassio--yet he totally believes everything Iago says, just like that.  I know he's considered "honest", but that level of trustworthiness still stretches credulity.  Especially since I get the feeling that nobody in the play except Othello and to a certain extent Cassio (and Rodrigo, but he doesn't count since he's basically an idiot) actually believe Iago is honest.  (Heck, Iago's own wife doesn't trust him.  Surely that's an indicator that something's wrong.)

OK, well, I've ranted enough here, so sorry if I went off on a tangent....

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

Double post, sorry.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (November 28, 2013 (11:36am))

Okay, maybe this one will be better written.

I went to see the 50th in the theater with my dad and my sister, and I thought it was brilliant. Moffat did a fantastic job on this. I have to say I don't think that he's as good with overarcing series plots, but more with certain episodes or specials like this (except Christmas specials, don't get me wrong).

I really enjoyed the dialogue amongst the Doctors, it was spectacular, and quite funny at spots. And I have a couple new favorite quotes, only one of which I can remember since somebody else already posted it. mini/tongue "Shall we request a more advanced door so that we can escape?"

Spoiler (click to read)

I actually liked the whole Queen Elizabeth/Zygon subplot, it originally thinking it was just a short flashback, but then it turns into a much more complicated story that twists into the current plot. It was resolved pretty quickly, and there was definitely room for more of a resolution, but at least it did get resolved. I have a feeling that the whole "nuclear warhead under London" thing was thrown in there as an emotional point for the Doctors, but it did seem a tad ridiculous. Plus they've already used that with Project Indigo in The Stolen Earth/Journey's End.

I REALLY liked David Tennant in this, I'm glad that they asked him to be in it. Even though I don't normally like Matt Smith all that much, I did enjoy him in this special. And John Hurt did a marvelous job, perfect for his role.

Not really sure what was happening at the end with all 13 doctors, it didn't make sense for all of them just to appear, there was only one statis cube thingy, they really only needed 3 doctors (unless, of course, there were 13 of those specific points around Gallifrey, but still - they just appeared out of nowhere and nothing else was made of them). I have a feeling that they were thrown in there just for the sake of including all of them in the 50th special, but at least there could have been more of an introduction before 12 TARDISs appeared and started circling the planet. And the CGI faces looked pretty fake.

And it was fun seeing everyone at the theater in their TARDIS beanies and bowties and fezzes and Tom Baker scarves.

I guess this is rather late... but what did everyone think of the Christmas Special?  Of the ones I've seen, I'd day it's the best one so far--though then again DW Christmas specials don't have a particularly good track record.

Anyway, I really liked this one, especially the idea of the "creepy yet Christmassy small town" (which has actually given me an idea for a brickfilm...).  It was really fun seeing so many of the villains, like the Cybermen, Daleks, and Weeping Angels--the way the hands shot out of the snow was really cool (har har har).  The wooden Cyberman was great, albeit a bit random.  The Aged Doctor too looked remarkably realistic.  However, the whole "naked doctor" thing seemed unnecessarily awkward and unnecessary. 

Spoiler (click to read)

I guess the "Silence Will Fall" arc has now been fulfilled--although I found it strange that the Doctor could now remember the Silence being around even when he wasn't looking at them.  And the way he nonchalantly talked about them seemed to remove all their menace or creepiness.

Also, the Regeneration was a bit... unusual, to say the least.

Spoiler (click to read)

So, you can blow up a Dalek army using Regeneration Energy?  While it's an interesting idea it just begs the question of why the Time Lords didn't use this power during the Time War...

I found the whole "Amy Pond" thing seemed a bit forced and shoehorned in.  I like the way he took off his bow-tie though.  I wish the actual transition between Eleven and Twelve had been a bit less sudden and abrupt.

Also:

Spoiler (click to read)

BALD DOCTOR!!!

That was seriously the best part of the special.

Well, I certainly can't wait to see what Twelve will be like.  Anyone know when the new series will air?

Oh yeah, and on a semi-related note I happened to come across this...

New series doesn't air until August. mini/sad

I didn't like this Christmas special that much the first time, but warmed to it a bit after a second viewing.
Still, A Christmas Carol has yet to be beaten, and The Snowmen was pretty good as well.

Spoiler (click to read)

I like how they wrapped up the "Silence will fall" arc, and mentioned Kovarian and River, but found the Papal Mainframe annoying. The worst bits were the unnecessary nudity jokes, Clara's here/gone/here again/gone again/finally back act and this Doctor aging several hundred years in about fifteen minutes of screentime.

I don't see how anybody could hold off the Daleks for three hundred years, so I made up my own little fan-fiction to explain it. First, the "Years" are Trenzalore years, which are much, much shorter. Second, with the time crack and Gallifrey and all, the Doctor ages at a much accelerated rate. This explains how he aged, how he managed to fend off all those enemies for that time, and why he didn't simply use his TARDIS to evacuate the planet and then go head-to-head with the Daleks with no primitive innocents to watch out for. Well, maybe not the last one.

Still, it wasn't terrible. Just needed a bit of fixing up. I'd watch it over some of the other Christmas episodes, but that doesn't make it perfect.

I agree, I preferred it the second time, probably because there was a lot crammed in. Could have done with an extra ten minutes.

Spoiler (click to read)

Yeah, it was certainly one of the better Christmas specials, though last year's one was actually very good as well. I thought the premise of the episode was good, and getting the answers to a most of the questions we've had for three years now was very satisfying. I guess some parts of the episode were a bit rushed, and some very significant, important things were only touched on briefly, but that's a problem with a lot of Doctor Who episodes lately.

I thought the Doctor'ss 300 year stand on Trenzalore a bit too fantastical though, it didn't add a whole lot to the episode and means the doctor has now aged like 500 years just in this latest regeneration. Moffatt does a lot of these fantasy story lines, which can be fun but tire on me quite quickly. I like you fan-fiction to fix it, Pritchard.

The regeneration was fine by me, you had the dramatic regeneration-energy-shooting-everywhere scene on top of the bell tower when he got a new cycle, but the regeneration itself wasn't too drawn out when it came to it. Would have liked slightly longer with Capaldi though.

New series starts in August I think, should be a full 13 episodes rather than the half-series we've had for S6+7.

Funnily enough, I thought A Christmas Carol was one of the worst Christmas specials of all, but then I quite liked Love and Monsters...

Last edited by Jayem (January 6, 2014 (08:46am))

That was an incredibly second-rate final episode for an incredibly second-rate Doctor.

Pritchard:

Spoiler (click to read)

The way I see it, the Docotr didn't have to hold off an entire armada at once.  Remember that the Papal Mainframe was shielding the planet the whole time, so nobody could enter.  I think only a few Daleks could enter at a time, which would make them (relatively) easy to dispatch.  That's why the Cybermen resorted to making a wooden Cyberman, so they could penetrate the defences.  Although even a lone Dalek would be pretty dangerous... remember what happened in Dalek in Series 1.  To be honest though I think the whole "Dalek fleet wants to destroy the universe, Doctor shows up, Doctor destroys Daleks" scenario has happened so often it's become a bit of a joke... but I digress.

I do like the "Trenzalore Years" idea though.  Personally I think they aged the Doctor so that the transition from Smith to Capaldi was a bit less abrupt, considering Capaldi is the oldest Doctor since Hartnell (who was also the oldest Doctor ever).

I agree that Clara's whole here-and-back-again thing was annoying, though it certainly wasn't the worst thing that happened to a companion (looking at you, Series 4 Donna Mind-wipe "oh-lets-just-completely-destroy-all-character-development-and-put-her-back-to-square-one" ending...)

I didn't really like the Christmas special...

Nerdios amigos, I bring with me a humorous video.

Somebody inevitably spliced Malcolm Tucker and Doctor Who together - they even commented on the show's pitfalls in recent times.