Re: Brikifilms - A Brickfilming Wiki, NEEDS YOUR HELP!

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

I have a 'radical' proposal for the films directory:
Would it be a good idea to allow anyone to a create a page about any film they have made themselves, if they include the things suggested for film pages on the wiki's guidelines page, cite some sources, have an infobox with an image and write at least 200 words?

The reason I think there should be a minimum word count is to prevent a massive influx of stub (very short and not useful) pages  and also to encourage people to only create pages about films that they put work into and that there is actually stuff to write about!

The current criteria and voting system for film pages would still apply if you wanted to create a page about someone else's film.

I think that doing this would allow all brickfilmers to have a place to share information about how their brickfilms were made in detail.

So, does anyone else think that allowing people to create pages about their own films (if they are of a certain standard) without having to be voted would be a good idea?

So is this gonna happen, or what? I also have noticed that this and this page hasn't been very active. mini/blankexpression

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

So is this gonna happen, or what? I also have noticed that this and this page hasn't been very active. mini/blankexpression

Oh yeah I kind of forgot I suggested that! mini/lol  Personally I still think it would be a good idea to implement, does anyone else agree?

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

I agree

Is 200 words a good amount? Should it be any higher/lower?

Boats Animator

200 words is good enough.

UPDATE:
Firstly thank you to Rockydude411 and Jampot for keeping the wiki alive-ish mini/smile
Not too much to report this month, but here's what I've got:

• The Brotherhood Workshop joins the list of brickfilmers requiring a page (so feel free to create them one)

• I created a new infobox for pages about films as well as a template for film pages

• I have seriously tidied up the Directory Criterion page and added a new criteria that if you use one of the directory templates and write at least 200 words you may create a new page for the directory regardless of your edit count.
    http://brickfilming.wikia.com/wiki/Brik … _Criterion

Hopefully with the end of my exams I should become more active on the wiki and I hope you can be too!!! mini/smile

Please post any questions about or suggestions for the wiki here.

EDIT: Also I found another early brickfilm from 1980 that I don't think we've mentioned before. It must be the first ever Star Wars brickfilm. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YB_tk0tWEM

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (May 30, 2014 (08:05am))

Boats Animator

I'll keep trying to do what I can around the wiki when I have time. I'm hoping that if we can bulk it up considerably, then people might be more inclined to add content/contribute however. It's just finding the time to put in, that's the hard part.

I've got at list on my home computer of pages that it might be useful to create. There are so many Adventurers animations, for instance, that it could be worth doing a character page (like the one I did for Santa Claus) for Johnny Thunder, and then people can add the continuity from their Johnny Thunder brickfilms. That kind of thing. I think the list consisted of Thunder, some DC and Marvel characters (primarily Batman), Darth Vader, Slenderman (there are quite a few Slender animations out there), and some other generic LEGO characters (as in LEGO themes).

I can't remember, did I add the scrollbox template to the wiki?

The Animation Challenge page needs to be tidied up. Might I suggest a Contest infobox? That would be good for pages on BRAWL, THAC and the Animation Challenge.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

@jampot

Yes you did create the scroll-box template, it is in use on the MonkeyJam page I believe. mini/smile
I think a contest infobox would be very sensible. Feel free to create one or I can do it sometime. I think the infobox I made on the BiMA page would be a good starting point.

If this wiki ever became more popular than the workload would be split over lots of people rather than a few making it grow quicker and also less work for people to help! Although, short of paying people 6 digit monthly salaries or permanently being on chat saying 'GO AN EDIT DA BRICKFILMS WIKI!!!!!'  I am not sure what else we can do to promote this thing.

Boats Animator

Additional brickfilm canon might help, stuff you can only find on the wiki. I already put some extra content for La Conquista on the wiki - the name of the island, some details about the big lava monster, etc.

Let's use JohnDthThunder's Perpetual Twilight as an example, since it's epic and has a lot of room for extra canon. Let's say that on top of the page about the brickfilm, there's a location page for the realm itself, and some additional bits of history of the kingdom and some details about the locations in the kingdom itself (e.g. a magic well, a forest, the elf/vampire boundary line, I'm just making stuff up here). Then there could be a page for Illendil, the elf king, and maybe in his biography there could be something about a previous run-in with the vampires, and that werewolf-elf could have a backstory about when and how he got bitten by a werewolf...obviously JohnDthThunder would need to at least come up with this stuff himself, and he'd need to first release it in a blog or put it in a forum post here (so that the wiki doesn't just become a fanfiction roleplay wiki) for the page to reference, but I think that could work.

Am I spewing nonsense or do you think people would actually read any of that?

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I like this idea and think more information about brickfilming canon would be very interesting (particularly universe history). Although I am not sure how to implement this into the wiki in its present state (and what to call it!). Should this kind of thing reside within the Films Directory? Or be a whole new section?

Also, I know this could potentially be a big thing to ask of you but if this section was to be made would you be willing to take charge of it? At least in setting it up (ie creating the category pages for locations, characters etc and explanations on how to use it) and then possibly creating the first few pages so that people can understand how it works.

Boats Animator

I can give it a try, but it might make a while. I have a ton of commitments at the moment: exams, my animations, the work I'm doing for BrickUltra...but I'll do my best. Prod me every now and then just to make sure I'm getting on with it, though, as I have a terrible memory.

Also, would you be able to create the Contest infobox? I'll be fine making the location ones, but if you could make the Contest one and then let me know, I'll implement it and clean up a few pages.

For filling out film pages, adding canon would probably be a good idea. It would help give the pages more interesting information to look at.

A couple things:  First of all, I'm going to try to work on the software more, creating pages for each of the products. Second is a question about the LEGO Move for the wiki page.

Spoiler (click to read)

I thought the Man Upstairs was supposed to be the kid, not the dad. The dad was portrayed as  Lord Business, plus they  made the comment about dirty hands (like a kid). What  do you guys think?

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

For filling out film pages, adding canon would probably be a good idea. It would help give the pages more interesting information to look at.

A couple things:  First of all, I'm going to try to work on the software more, creating pages for each of the products. Second is a question about the LEGO Move for the wiki page.

Spoiler (click to read)

I thought the Man Upstairs was supposed to be the kid, not the dad. The dad was portrayed as  Lord Business, plus they  made the comment about dirty hands (like a kid). What  do you guys think?

If you can take hold of software, that'd be brilliant. As for the spoiler...

Spoiler (click to read)

It's been confirmed by the cast list and by the writers that the Man Upstairs is Lord Business. Although Finn, the kid, created the story, it was the father who actually built all the realms and the city and stuff.

UPDATE
Just a reminder, things are still going on with Brikifilms! mini/smile
Thank you to Jampot and some anonymous users for continuing to contribute to the wiki.

The wiki currently stands at 97 pages which is further than I ever thought we would get but almost all of these pages require additional work. If anyone is reading this and is interested please feel to create a wikia account and get editing! If you are not sure where to start check out the various links in the welcome message you receive after you edit on the wiki for the first time. (Also feel free to ask)

I think it would be great if the wiki was in a more detailed and informative state before it reaches the milestone of 100 pages, so if you have the time, please check it out!
http://brickfilming.wikia.com

@Jampot
Reading this thread it appears I said I'd create a new contest info box! It looks like I sort of forgot... I'm currently on holiday but hopefully I'll find a spare moment in the next few days.

Boats Animator

BoatsAreRockable wrote:

@Jampot
Reading this thread it appears I said I'd create a new contest info box! It looks like I sort of forgot... I'm currently on holiday but hopefully I'll find a spare moment in the next few days.

Cool. Message me when I do and I'll get to the BRAWL and THAC pages asap, though it may take a while.

Not to be a downer but i checked the website and found it confused.  There some stuff on history, which is great, but stuff on some lore that came from somewhere and a page on smeagol as if, well, why?

Im not sure if its a lore site, fan site, bim site or brick site.  Just offering some feedback - its hard for people to identify with and im guessing confuses newbies.  Its entirely your project of course but i would Ppick a theme and stick to it.  If it is going to have some sort of lore then call it that and dedicate to that.

Best of luck.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

togfox wrote:

Not to be a downer but i checked the website and found it confused.  There some stuff on history, which is great, but stuff on some lore that came from somewhere and a page on smeagol as if, well, why?

This is a an informational site (er, wiki) about brickfilming that anybody can edit, so if you see anything that doesn't make sense, it is probably written by some random vandal.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Yeah, prolly right.  I just hit the wrong random pages i guess.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

There's a bunch of pages on additional canon from JonnDthunDer's Perpetual Twilight, which I'm kind of slowly starting to use as a framework to develop pages about brickfilm characters and locations. The MCU wiki should give you a good idea of what I mean. I'm quite slow at working though, so at the moment it might look a bit haphazard.

New brickfilm canon can't be written directly onto the wiki, though. It has to be referenced from somewhere else, otherwise it just becomes a fanon wiki.

At the moment I cannot deny that the wiki is no where near perfect. Personally I have the impossible aim of Brikifilms being an encyclopaedia of information for everything do to with brickfilming. While technically that is not possible and Brikifilms is something that will never be complete I believe that we can still create an interesting and useful resource.

The wiki should be as welcoming as possible to anyone and please continue giving construction criticism and suggestions to improve it for everyone.

Also while I try and personally look through every edit to the wiki some rubbish does still slip through. If you notice anything that is blatantly wrong or downright silly go ahead and change/remove it.

Finally it would be welcome if people could focus there edits on a certain area of the wiki. For example Jampot is primarily working on film universe canon while I'm more focused on the equipment and historical stuff.

EDIT: Also does anyone else think I should turn off the chat function on the wiki? It serves no real function and just creates more clutter on the wiki homepage. It has only ever been used once I believe in a conversation a couple of years ago between MightyWanderer and I!

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (August 13, 2014 (09:39am))

Boats Animator