Topic: Your thoughts: Using soundtracks (not creative commons) in films

So I've made flicks that use royalty free creative commons music and I've made flicks that use professional copyrighted music (fully credited) from famous movies (without financially profiting from it).  Lets ignore the legalities of using movie soundtracks because the fact of the matter is, without going into details, sometimes it is tolerated and sometimes it is not.  Lets just leave that conversation for another thread.  Lets talk about when it is tolerated eh.

So you're making a flick, you need an awesome pounding soundtrack and you can't find anything on creative commons.  You do however have this awesome track on your desk from your favourite movie that would fit perfectly.  It's not even a theme song - its just some non-descript track that most people wouldn't even recognise but the copyright is held by some mega-hollywood company.

If you're entering a competition then the rules are probably clear - but lets say you're brick filming for you and you alone and your tiny YouTube group of subscribers.  That sound track fits so well and you have no chance of profitting/selling your vid.  Do you use that sweet sweet track or do you take something that isn't even close from creative commons and roll with it?

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Your thoughts: Using soundtracks (not creative commons) in films

I would have said go for it, but I found the YouTube audio library is the best creators source out there. They have a wide range of music types, and although it's free (you don't even need to give credit) there's a lot of music on there that sounds professionally made.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

I think you should never use copyrighted music. Ever. If the music was made by someone else, and they have not said that you can use it in your film, don't do it. It's like if you animated a clip of a movie and someone said, "Hey, that awesome explosion/fight scene/whatever was so cool, let's put it right in our film without telling the guy but let's put his name way down in the credits". It doesn't matter if you have 1 subscriber, if your movie is good, you may get more, and someone may want to show your movie somewhere that they cannot use copyrighted music, or you may want to make money off of it because you realize that you could be getting loads of money from the ads you could put on the video. You can't do it, because of that one track that you just couldn't resist using. Now where are you?

(Note: When I'm saying "You", I don't actually mean you, I mean whoever is using the copyrighted track in their video. A theoretical person. mini/wink )

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I avoid it, so that I can monetise my videos. I don't think I've used a copyrighted track in four years.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I regret using copyrighted soundtracks in my earlier films, such as Unsound and Flashbacks: Redux. Nowadays I firmly believe you should strive to only use elements in your films that you either make yourself, have bought the license to, or have acquired from people who have given their permission.

Why?

For me, it's about artistic integrity. Unsound and Flashbacks: Redux are still my films, of course, but I feel like I can't fully claim them as my own because I borrow soundtracks from popular films.

Copyright claim and the ability to monetize your films and comply with contest rules is also an important consideration. Besides online, I wouldn't feel comfortable distributing Unsound because it isn't completely my own. I've actually considered redubbing those films so I would feel more comfortable distributing them, but I no longer have the original files, so I would have to re-dub the dialog as well with new recordings.

Using copyrighted soundtracks is a great way to get great sound for your films, and I think it is a option that is viable for young filmmakers and hobbyists. However, if you are seeking to take your interest in filmmaking to the next level and really invest yourself, I would avoid using copyrighted soundtracks.

The way I see it is: "Why work so hard on your film, only to get it taken down for copyright strikes?"

Its kind of not worth it to have to fight with YouTube, even if you think the track is perfect.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

I write all my own music, unless a copywritten song is part of the plot.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Most of my films are comedies. It's really fun to use a popular piece of music for comedic effect, and I wish I could do it more. There are many moments from my latest Brickfilm that cry out for a bit of Lord of the Rings. I also wish I could do music videos, since I'm a huge fan of Michel Gondry, Spike Jonze, Chris Cunningham, and any filmmaker who's ever worked with Bjork.

But it's illegal. I know it probably won't happen, but I occasionally do fear that one day I'll get a knock on my door from the police because back in 2009 I used a bit of the Pirates of the Carribean soundtrack - because I was doing a parody of pirate films, and PotC is pretty much the only good pirate film ever made...until the sequels came...

Last edited by Max Butcher (July 9, 2014 (01:33pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

A couple things. As far as the whole moral thing goes, I share Nathan's view. I regret using Star Wars music in my old videos, because it just feels wrong. Fortunately they're all bad enough that I just don't care.

However, Max, in you're case (and this might be different in England, I can really only speak in terms of the US) Using a small part of something, especially in a comedy format, may be protected as parody. It's sort of a weird and convoluted law, but there are certain circumstances where you can use other peoples work to make fun of it. It has to do with free speech and whatnot, but if anyone really thinks I joke in there film might be worth it, I'd look it up.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I write all my own music, unless a copywritten song is part of the plot.

A question for HOO: if some music you wrote for your film was then re-used by someone else (for no financial gain) - would you feel excited that someone found your talents useful or would you flip a table and kick the dog?

Would it make a difference if you were asked prior to the use of your music?

Would it make a differences if you were credited appropriately (a small line at the end of the credits vs size 12 font at the top of the credits.  mini/smile )

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Togfox, these are good questions.  I don't mind, if I was credited, if a short clip of my song was re-used in someone else's work.  Things would be different if it was half a song, and if it's a straight-up recording were other sounds weren't mixed in, the way that soundtracks are background for dialogue.  In fact, the law allows certain short music clips to be re-used in derivative works.  I'd be more flattered if I was asked to be a part of it.

I write my music for myself, and if people like it and want to buy it, that's fine.  If people hate it or couldn't care either way, that's fine too.  I do hope, however, that as many people who are open to something different like my stuff, and I'd be pleased if someone gets my music out there in another way.  Now, if someone bootlegged my music or videos for profit, that's another thing.

In Holding Our Own, episode 2, Angie is a DJ and I play short clips of recognizable (or semi-recognizable) songs, as short as I can get them to fit the dialogue in.  I make sure Angie is speaking throughout the entire thing, so the music on its own can't be passed around.  And, of course, I put the song title and the name of the performer of every song in the credits.  The music now is now part of another soundtrack, just as short samples are used in music.

The band Negativland records EVERYTHING and reappropriates everything they recorded, including TV audio and radio music, into new compositions.  They were in trouble for using U2 clips in their song "U2", a cover of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For".  In their defense at trial, they cited U2's recent (at the time) ZOO TV tour, when, at their concert, they produced on-the-fly montages of live TV broadcasts as part of their audio-video experience, and couldn't get permission to use the works they re-broadcasted as part of their own art.

My lastest album has a song called "The Complete History of Recorded Music, Part 1."  I provided the URL recently elsewhere on BiM.  The song is composed entirely of audio clips of other people's recordings, but is completely within the fair use laws and 100% legal.

These are my personal thoughts and understandings.  What do you think?

PS: Backyard Legos, Parody is protected under the U.S. Constitution (Even Yankee Doodle and the Star Spangled Banner are song parodies), but if someone registers/profits from a parody, the writer/owner of the original music is entitled to royalties, unless the artist specifically defers to the writer of the parody.  This is the case of Weird Al, who gets permission from each artist, and keeps all royalties from his parody songs.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (July 10, 2014 (01:52pm))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."