Topic: Dragonframe or Stop Motion Pro?

Lately I've been looking to buy a frame capture program, and, after looking around, I set my eyes on Stop Motion Pro (Action! HD, to be precise). Then Nathan Wells and Mindgame told me that, if I'm already going to spend good money on a program, I should get Dragonframe, since it's always been good to them.

I'm wondering if anyone out here has used Stop Motion Pro and/or Dragonframe, and could help me make a decision. Dragonframe is quite a bit more expensive than SMP, so I'd like to make a very informed choice.

Thanks!

Re: Dragonframe or Stop Motion Pro?

Hi there!  I have Dragonframe.  I started out by downloading the trial version first to see how it works and to find out if I would like it.  It's very easy to use.  The interface is very intuitive.  I ended up buying a licensed version.  You get a keypad controller once you do that, which is quite handy because almost all the controls needed to animate is right there.

I haven't tried Stop Motion Pro, but I believe it also has a trial version.  Maybe you can try both to see which one you will like best.  I am with Nathan Wells and Mindgame, though: if you can afford it, go with Dragonframe.

Oh, before you do, make sure the program that you are getting supports the camera that you have.  Dragonframe has a list of cameras that they support which can be found on their website.

I use SMP Action Plus (one down from HD) and I love it.  Has rig removal, chroma key, audio sync, paint brush, frame markers, onion skin.  It's got the lot for less than DF.  Also has a free trial.  My only qualm is my version has a max output resoultion of 800x600 - which is fine for youtube.  Generous list of supported camera's.

SMP has a generous upgrade path as well.  If you are a recent customer (you bought the product a few months ago) then you often get upgrades for free - or worse case, you pay the difference.  No need to purchase a whole new license.

They have a new version out soon - Eclipse.  It's in closed beta but I've been told anyone purchasing their regular product will get a free upgrade to Eclipse.

I haven't tried DF.  It seems to have a large following despite the higher price point.  I don't understand what DF has that SM Pro doesn't.  I suspect not much.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

I'm in the same software hunt right now, and am planning on comparing trial versions hopefully sometime this week. When I've done so I'll report back here with my findings.

To get the full features of Stop Motion Pro you are paying (more or less) the same price as Dragonframe, I remember looking over both programs and some of the options I wanted were only available in Studio Plus version ($295 which is the same price as Dragonframe) and in addition most major studios working on stop motion projects use Dragonframe so I don't see the support going anywhere.

As far as I can tell Dragonframe does not have a rig removal tool but those tools look a bit more primitive them using masks in After Effects which is already very easy. (I can imagine if you don't have After Effects the rig removal would greatly simplify your post production workflow rather then removing rigs via Photoshop or other still image editing programs)

Another thing I really like about Dragonframe is the native Arduino support, which I haven't really had time to mess with, but I do have the boards and stepper moters, once I have time to wire and build a motion control rig I can plug it into Dragonframe via USB and whenever you capture a frame it will move the rig automatically to the next place, if you delete a frame it will automatically move the rig back and you can get a crazy as you want with it

I've used Stop Motion Pro before and have now migrated over to DragonFrame (Which I used to make my BRAWL film, btw.) I've used Stop Motion Pro for ever single film I've made before.

At first the program functioned well for me. But as I went along, the program became very prone to crashing (there were several features I was unable to use because the program would just crash and blue screen when I tried). This started in about mid-2012, and from here on it was all downhill.

• Frequent crashings and blue-screens as I mentioned

• Some part of the code would mess up almost every month causing the program to forget that it was licensed to me, requiring to contact tech support to sort it out.

• Since the program uses the full resolution stills when playing back your film while you were in the middle of animating, I was unable to make a film in any resolution higher than 480p because the program would suffer horrible buffering problems that made me unable to tell how good my animation looked. Keep in mind, I am able to play full HD videos anywhere else on my computer and suffer no lag.

• The UI looks like crap, but that's my opinion.

After two years of putting up with this bull, I finally decided to just give up and make the switch to DragonFrame.

AND IT IS WORTH EVERY PENNY.

Playback is always smooth mid-animation, the keypad is a god-send and it speeds up my work immensely due to not having to touch the mouse most of the time or figuring out shortcut keys, and it pretty much has all the features SMP has except for in-program masking (which I think most people who are using this program will be well beyond using, as it only offers very basic erasing tools).

Also, arc motion looks freaking amazing. And since this program is used by basically every animation house worth their salt, you'll be ahead of the curve if you ever choose to go into pro-animation by already knowing the program.

All in all, GET DRAGONFRAME. I know that the lower priced versions of SMP look enticing, but Dragon Frame will pretty much be all that you need for anything you want to do animation wise. I do not know if the problems I experienced were also seen by anyone else, but even so, DragonFrame is just a little more money for a lot more functionality.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I never experienced those technical problems.  What is arc motion?  Is that easy to describe or is it best to google it?  Thx.

Aka Fox

Not going to bother parroting all the reasons that have already been said, but I'll throw my 2c in and vouch for Dragonframe. I moved to it from Stop Motion Pro many years ago and have been a very happy camper ever since.

THAC XIV entry here: (Never) Meant To Be

togfox wrote:

I never experienced those technical problems.  What is arc motion?  Is that easy to describe or is it best to google it?  Thx.

The arc motion is what allows you to control and animate motion control rigs, this video goes over it.

Ah - I see - looks totally awesome and totally out of my depth.  mini/lol   Thx.

Aka Fox

Wow, is there a tutorial so anyone can DIY something like this?

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

My next project after my film will be to get some Arduino'ed up motion control on Dragonframe, but it's unlikely I'll be getting 6 axis of movement, I have the stepper motors for 3 axis, and circuit boards for 2, but I don't have all the time for building, wiring and programming right now.

Keep in mind a motion control rig like that is easily going to cost more then Dragonframe, but it's still better then spending far more then a years pay $25k on something like this

SlothPaladin wrote:

Keep in mind a motion control rig like that is easily going to cost more then Dragonframe, but it's still better then spending far more then a years pay $25k on something like this

I'm terrible at DIYing electronics without tutorials. Ebay would probably have something similar from China for much less mini/smile

For now though, it's all manual motion control.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys.

Danboard, thanks for pointing me toward the trials, they are really helpful in decision. From the trial, I'm really liking Dragonframe, whereas SMP is okay. SMP is also much slower in taking pictures, but that might be because it's branding each one with a watermark.
From what I've heard, there are people on both sides of the fence with SMP, but everyone loves Dragonframe, which is making me lean toward that.

So both SMP and Dragonframe have student discounts, but with Dragonframe it says, "The software will be for non-commercial use only." Does this mean I wouldn't be able to use the program if I was to be paid, or does it mean something else?

That's exactly what it means. You can't make any money from a film you used the non-commercial version to make. I'd just pay full price.

I'm using SMPro. I will be transitioning to Dragonframe though. I would highly recommend it if you can afford $295

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Yeah, that's what it looked like when I looked up non-commercial.

Well, I think I'm going to go ahead and get Dragonframe (for the full price). It is much more user-friendly, from what I've seen of the trial version. One big plus is that I can't find good camera controls in SMP, namely focusing, but Dragonframe has all that.