Topic: Sub-Zero Shenanigans BRAWL 2014

Sub-Zero Shenanigans

My film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZee2-uiULY

Chaos is DEVELOPING (eh? eh?) in the frozen wasteland known as Antarctica.

I am actually not too please with my entry, but hopefully you guys like it. Sorry to the voice actors whose lines I didn't use, I ran out of time.

Last edited by PushOverProductions (July 26, 2014 (05:11pm))

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Re: Sub-Zero Shenanigans BRAWL 2014

That was very interesting... but entertaining, nonetheless.

Your style is very unique, I'm glad you were able to finish in time. mini/wink

I'm a scientist. I poke things.

As usual some of your humor didn't appeal to me. However, I loved the scene with the Swedish phone operators, and the Canada jokes.

Also the return of a fan favorite was great.

Spoiler (click to read)

But seeing a flashback of what happened to the hounds would have been really great.

Oh man, I'm really sad I didn't get a chance to voice act in any other films during BRAWL, I would have loved to be a part of this.  YOU PEOPLE NEED TO TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CASTING CALLS SO I CAN VOICE-ACT IN THEM!

. . .

Anyway, this has got to be one your funniest films yet.  I love it.  I was laughing all the way through, from the Canada jokes to the news anchor to the return of the crazy general and hippie.  It's amazing that you managed to make a film of this length and quality in this amount of time.

Oh yes.  "We are scientists.  We poke things." is now officially my new favourite brickfilm quote.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

I watched this at least 5 times last night. It was very funny.

Spoiler (click to read)

My favorite parts were roger and the scene at the base. I also liked the line "we're scientists, we poke things"

Last edited by END films (July 27, 2014 (01:19pm))

I wonder if "we're scientists, we poke things" will become one of those classic brickfilm quotes?

OneDouglas wrote:

I wonder if "we're scientists, we poke things" will become one of those classic brickfilm quotes?

I hope it does. mini/lol

END films wrote:
OneDouglas wrote:

I hope it does. mini/lol

It shall join the hallowed ranks of "Release the hounds!", "No crawme broke out!", and "You never go to four!".

(All right, I know that the last isn't technically a brickfilm quote, but I think it still counts...

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

One of my favorites I've seen so far. It's pretty consistently entertaining; I thought most of the jokes were funny, and there are a lot of them. The mountains you put in the background look really good and are instantly recognizable as snow-covered peaks. I think the part where the guy pushes the button on the walkie-talkie is a great way of animating a minifig do that without having to take his other arm out of it's socket.

One problem I noticed is just the lack of sound in some places, but with a BRAWL it's understandable. Overall, nice work making a nearly six-minute long, very funny video in a week.

Another great film in your collection, Pushover. I always enjoy seeing the new stuff you put out. Awesome job!

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

My favourite film in BRAWL this year mini/bigsmile

Thanks for the feedback everybody! (WARNING: really long post ahead)

FlyingMinifig wrote:

YOU PEOPLE NEED TO TELL ME ABOUT YOUR CASTING CALLS SO I CAN VOICE-ACT IN THEM!

Oh yeah, well I knew there were certain voice actors I had to get to fill certain roles (like Sonjira and JonnDthunDer), and by the time I had gotten their voices, I was pretty far into the film and was running out of time, so I just grabbed whoever I could get in the Skype call. Next time, I will definitely post a casting call like I was originally going to.

I am glad you liked the film though!

wilco66 wrote:
Spoiler (click to read)

seeing a flashback of what happened to the hounds would have been really great.

Wow. I cannot believe I didn't think of that, that could have been hilarious. I need to use that if I bring some of these characters back later.

FlyingMinifig wrote:
END films wrote:
OneDouglas wrote:

I hope it does.

It shall join the hallowed ranks of "Release the hounds!", "No crawme broke out!", and "You never go to four!".

Well quite frankly I am horrified that you three would put up one of my quotes, but forget Josh Brolin and his union rings! mini/tongue

twickabrick wrote:

The mountains you put in the background look really good and are instantly recognizable as snow-covered peaks. I think the part where the guy pushes the button on the walkie-talkie is a great way of animating a minifig do that without having to take his other arm out of it's socket.

One problem I noticed is just the lack of sound in some places, but with a BRAWL it's understandable. Overall, nice work making a nearly six-minute long, very funny video in a week.

Thanks! I actually got the idea for the snow peaks from the "LEGO play book". As far as the arm-out-of-socket technique goes, I have always been really weird about that. I refuse to do it because most of my minifigures (including the one used in the shot) have cracks in them, so I had to come up with an alternative. Its pretty useful, actually.

And I have actually been told that a lot about the sound, and its definitely true. I often times just can't even think of what sounds to put in some of those awkward areas. Maybe I just need to record more sound effects first.

no more brickfilming *sad face*.

Wat/10 - IGN

Great as always, your films are best watched when stupidly tired where the silliest things make you laugh.

Spoiler (click to read)

What did the Canadians do this time?

Brilliant.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Great job, I don't know how you managed to fit so much in the video itself in just under six minutes, neither do I know how you managed to fit a nearly 6 minute animation in the short time you had to animate! 

I'm constantly amazed at your comedic timing, you really have a talent for it and it shows.  Everything was wonderful, especially the writing.  Even though the sets were small, they did do really well for looking great.  As impressed as everyone was with the mountain peaks (which were great), I actually liked the fence behind the soldiers best.  It was ridiculously simple but looked great in context.  All the voice actors did very well, and the dialog fit perfectly. 

Like others have said, the main thing that seems to be lacking is sound.  Obviously you weren't able to add many sound effects because it was BRAWL, I was in the same boat, but I think maybe just some ambient noise or slight music would have made a difference.  Ambient noise would probably do best, just because music might conflict with the timing of the cuts unless you planned it really well.

I suppose the aspect ratio could probably be made to look more cinematic, but that's probably a confine of your camera.  This aspect ratio may suite you better, as well.  A more "modern" aspect ratio might look a little off with your style, I'm not sure, just a thought.

Final thing, I've noticed that the people I voice usually have a slightly lower mic volume, is that me not recording loud enough?  Were you able to make it any louder when you were editing it together, or was that as good as it could get without losing quality?  I may need to record things a little more loudly for any voice acting I do for anyone in the future because I seem to be noticing a trend...

So yeah, slight faults aside, it was awesome. 
5/4.99