Re: Brickfilmers making money off skills

rogue wrote:

Despite all the posts and comments would you really want to rely on youtube as a source of income? Also its not a very good payment especially if you don't have many views.

If you got to the point where it was a good source of income, sure. The way you say it sounds like people are quitting their jobs in the hope of becoming YouTube stars, which would be a foolish move.

https://i.imgur.com/1JxY79v.png

No no I think you have read my initial post wrongly, I do not believe people would leave their jobs in hoping to become youtube stars because that's being unrealistic, however most people on this site are rather young and that is why I mentioned my initial comment, especially how the question was also asked so it was more directed to the question than to the people.

Sorry for confusion if it was not explained better.

-Rogue

Moderator notice: This account was created by banned former member Generalned using a proxy server.]
When you want to succeed as much as you want to breathe.. You will be successful.

rogue wrote:

youtube as a source of income.

Money is money, mkay!

A Life? Cool! Where can I download one of those from?

Personally, I already have 3 jobs, not planning to leave any of them but I have to say, I got one of my contracts because of my Youtube videos.

I am also freelancing for a non-profit who were looking into this possibility. My Youtube videos are solely for self-indulgent purposes so that's why these deals don't appeal to me. But the question I was posed was, "do you have any friends who will be interested?" I told them I would need to research a lot more into this before putting together a proposal for them. Ideally, I will be able to find brickfilmers in my own country, though I have been looking everywhere and I am still not sure where they're hiding.

I am also aware of a video that helped a lego vendor sell sets that were broken up for parts. That video had less than 300 views. But again personally, I don't  think profit sharing and product placements or 'promotional considerations' are that profitable.

Still loading....

ok, this has been quite a interesting thread...... mini/smile

I've enjoyed hearing your comments, keep it up, now, in other news, if anyone wants to get partnered... here:
http://www.freedom.tm/via/CookedCat

I'm entering 2 short film contests with brickfilms I'm working on.

The first, if you get either judges choice, peoples choice, or behind the scenes judges choice, then you win about $20,000 of film equipment (including camera + lenses, a dolly track, tripod, microphones, monitors, a hard drive, free Adobe CS6 software and other software, and storage equipment).

The second is the Sundance Short Film Festival Contest, and if I manage to be one of the best 5 films as chosen by the institute, I get $10,000 cash and an all expenses paid trip as a guest of honour to see my film played at the Sundance film festival.

Although I doubt I will win any, it will be good experience. Especially since one day I hope to make a living from my animations.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

jampot wrote:

Is Fullscreen worth it? What are the benefits (like, what do you get out of it) and what are the negatives?

Now, I'm going to make this clear. If you partner from another network, you don't make more money than you did with the youtube partner program. It;s the same. The only difference is that if you partner with a network,  there are more opportunities. Like the refer a friend program. If someone I knew wanted to join the network, I'd give them this link:http://apply.fullscreen.net/?ref=funmiproductions
Now, if I had at least 1000 subscribers, I'd get cash. If since I am under, all I would get is a thank you.

Fullscreen had this thing called gorilla, where these advertisers had a video that they want to be seen. They have a budget of like $500-$1500. You make a video highlighter the video, and you get paid by the advertisers per view. But now, to do gorilla, you need at least 1000 subscribers since it's hard to make money off a video that would get maybe 50 views in a week.

With fullscreen, I am given free access audio, like sound effects, music. If someone decided to repost my video without permission, I can't either remove it, or make money off it. Yeah, I know.

There is a collection of very talented people on fullscreen. I made a new friend on fullscreen that made me a banner for my channel that looks amazing!

The problem that I have with fullscreen is that they partner like 50 people in a day. Most people on fullscreen only have like 20 subscribers. With all those people getting partnered, it's hard to get a response back from the team personally if you have a question or something.

There used to be a fullscreen sub-division devoted to only animators, called motion pxl. This network was how I got partnered. A few months ago, they dis-banded it for whatever reason, so animators don't really have a voice. Yet, the buffoons that make random video game recordings have their own personnel network.

I'm on my contract for another year. Chances of me renewing it 50/50 to be honest. A lot of animators are on fullscreen now for some reason. But not for long when their contracts end.

Hey, Jampot!  Can you be more specific on the part "Is fullscreen worth it?"?  I like my DVDs widescreen, unless it's something shot in fullscreen, in which case, I like to watch in the format something was filmed.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Hey, Jampot!  Can you be more specific on the part "Is fullscreen worth it?"?  I like my DVDs widescreen, unless it's something shot in fullscreen, in which case, I like to watch in the format something was filmed.

No, it's a website and a Partner system.

Thanks for the information, funmi!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Note: this is just so I can express my anger
The youtube partner program is worth nothing to me now. I have encountered many issues with my fullscreen account that the fullscreen mods refuse to fix. On the fullscreen website, I couldn't see my earnings, so I sent an email to the support team. They said to apply for fullscreen again. I did, and was rejected. I told them, and they just told me to do it again.They keep telling me to apply again, I do it, yet I am rejected each time. I am not applying again. My contract with them ends in May, and I can't wait to get out of this terrible network because the team offers almost no support. The cpm on my videos are more or less the same, despite fullscreen's popularity with advertisers.

Ok, I'm done.

Sincerely,
Divine

Last edited by funmiproductions (July 8, 2014 (04:34pm))

Your contract ends in May.  You know its July?  You're syaing you have 10 more months?  Sorry to be a downer.

On a different subject, I'm seriously considering switching to vimeo as a hoster.  The quality is higher and the screen clutter is way less.  No ads.  Also no (effective) social networking.  No income potential (but who am I kidding mini/lol  )

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

It ends in May next year, yeah. I knowing what I'm talking about dude. I'm not five. ( rage, rage, rage, blah, blah, blah.)

*Saying

No need to be rude, Funmi. Please be respectful of other members.

I wasn't rude. I was merely joking and mocking myself as well.

I don't know if you guys are still talking about the fullscreen program or not, but I've been part of the program for a good year now. 

In my personal opinion it's ok. It's not so much filmmakers as it is a gaming partnership program as you'd think.  80% of fullscreen is basically lets plays and video game related videos. There is a good amount of exposure,  but it's hard to surface on a page when it's flooded with constant Minecraft and Call of Duty videos every 5 seconds.

Not to mention everyone plugs their channel constantly on other people's posts.  The community is basically 8-15 year old so I don't spend much time socializing with the forum section.

Overall 2/5. If you're still low on views and subs go fullscreen,  but if you have more than 500 subdues and 100,000+ views find something better.

CarrollFilms wrote:

In my personal opinion it's ok. It's not so much filmmakers as it is a gaming partnership program as you'd think.  80% of fullscreen is basically lets plays and video game related videos. There is a good amount of exposure,  but it's hard to surface on a page when it's flooded with constant Minecraft and Call of Duty videos every 5 seconds.

Overall 2/5. If you're still low on views and subs go fullscreen,  but if you have more than 500 subdues and 100,000+ views find something better.

I do believe that they're splitting gaming content off into a sub-network, the ScrewAttack Network, so I wonder if that will allow for greater exposure by regular filmmakers on the site or what ever.

Do you have any alternative networks to suggest? While fullscreen does look good, it does sort of seem to me like they just accept everyone who applies so I worry of it becoming overcrowded, with no one really standing out and getting exposure and everybody in a constant shouting match.

It seems as though Frederator/Cartoon Hangover is getting in the network game with a network of their own. Anyone think this is a good shot? It looks to be a network specifically for animators, so they may be a good fit for a lot of us.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

Sonjira wrote:
CarrollFilms wrote:

I do believe that they're splitting gaming content off into a sub-network, the ScrewAttack Network, so I wonder if that will allow for greater exposure by regular filmmakers on the site or what ever.

Do you have any alternative networks to suggest? While fullscreen does look good, it does sort of seem to me like they just accept everyone who applies so I worry of it becoming overcrowded, with no one really standing out and getting exposure and everybody in a constant shouting match.

It seems as though Frederator/Cartoon Hangover is getting in the network game with a network of their own. Anyone think this is a good shot? It looks to be a network specifically for animators, so they may be a good fit for a lot of us.

To be honest, there is no "Perfect Network" to join.

Fullscreen is cluttered with thousands of channels with small inheard of channels that will never rise up above all the channels already partnered with the network and will more than likely not benefit anything from the network while locked into their contract.

Maker Studio just got bought out from Disney Studios, so, I guess it's an ok netowork. Maker is a network more aimed towards people with 1,000's of subscribers and basically a million views total or so. It's for the "Big Leagues" you could say. It's to get connected to the even bigger channels and collab or get tips from them.

And then you have Machinima...Gaming...gaming....gaming. People have been locked into contracts with Machinima that they have control over content people produce or Machinima takes a large profit from videos. It's an ok netowork if you make really good "lets plays" or gaming Machinima's.

After my contract with Fullscreen is up i'm applying to become part of Maker Studios, but my contract ends in a year. A lot can happen in 1 year. Netoworks are like the stock market. You just need to watch and see what the future predicts for each network. Maybe some new network will rise up and be a better choice over another network because they have the benefits you want that the other network doesn't.

tl;dr research the networks and choose the one that fits you best. When you get locked into a contract knock the years down to 1 year instead of 2 years. Don't get screwed over like I did.

funmiproductions wrote:

Note: this is just so I can express my anger
I am not applying again. My contract with them ends in May, and I can't wait to get out of this terrible network because the team offers almost no support.

That's really weird. When I was with them (I just left in June since I discovered that networks make you less money), their support team was super helpful. They would always respond back within a couple of hours. Have you got in contact with Luan (the talent manager) or Adam (the ex-manager of Motion PXL)? Those guys are extremely professional and try their hardest to get you to stay with them. Luan even offered me a 6 month 80/20 split contract when I asked him to leave. I can give you their emails and Skypes if you would like. Fullscreen's support team was one of the reasons that I almost signed with them again.

All I know is that if I sign a contract with the Social Blade Partner Program then I would make a grand total of $7 dollars a year.