Topic: Sometimes doing the right thing suxs.

So I'm itching to start my next project, I found a neat script on the web.  4 pages, three sets, two actors, great short story.  Right up my alley.  It was written by a random oversea's.  It was posted in good faith with a 2014 copyright notice on the front.  Fair nuff.  I emailed the author seeking permission to use it for free and started writing a script better suited to brick films.  I started a storyboard as well.  Went home and built one of the three sets.

I get an email back from the author in the morning.  His response:

No.

mini/sad

Bummer dude.  I didn't realise the script was hot off the press and he's trying to spruik it for money.  Can't grudge him for that.  Thing is, I could have easily just taken the script without permission and animated it, posted on my youtube and he nor anyone else would be any wiser.

No regrets but.  I'll contact him in a month or two and see if he has a change of heart.  The problem is I need something now and I'm about to go trawling for another script meaning I'll quickly lose interest in his sweet four pager.

No regrets though.  If I'm going to stay in this hobby I can't do it based on lies and theft.  On to the next project!

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Sometimes doing the right thing suxs.

Maybe instead of looking for scripts online, you should write you own. Like they always say, "Write what you know", so maybe you should write what's on your mind, or a funny story you heard, or an about an event. If they sound bland at the beginning, then punch the story up a bit and make it better! I'm not saying that getting scripts online is bad, though. There are many talented people that write, and many talented people that animate, and sometimes one person cannot do both, and sometimes, some scripts online are just so fantastic, you don't think you can measure up. Anyway, what my point is, don't get discouraged, either keep looking, or try to write your own. Who knows, maybe you'll surprise yourself! mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Understood - good points.  I've just realised in the last month or so that in real life movies or real life animations no one person does it all and does it well.  I'm no different.  My strength is in direction/production/animation so I'll "outsource" the other area's where possible.  mini/smile

Aka Fox

For what it's worth, I get lots of rejections on all sorts of filmmaking-related requests; it's a pretty universal thing! The trick, for me anyway, has been not to get too invested in something until I've gotten whatever permissions are necessary, and THEN focus more seriously on it. If you keep coming up with new ideas, eventually something will work out.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

... and I found a second script and the author gave me permission within 12 hours.  mini/smile

Aka Fox

So it did work out in the end. mini/tongue

Have a nice day! mini/smile

YouTube

Togfox, there are many ppl here who would write scripts for you, too.  I've always thought that people here had different strengths and weaknesses.  For some of us, it's writing.  FOr otherts, animation.  For others, pecial effects, music, etc.  I would gladly allow you to check out my scripts and ideas for things I'd like to write.  I like science fiction, comedy, and other things.  I even wrote 5 ten-minutes episodes of a crime drama for someone who has experimented with some brick film work and is planning to film them.  I'm really proud of my MARIANNA script and would love someone to make it into a 5-7 minute brickfilm.  Brick7 in her teenage voice would make a great MARIANNA, as would AC Films, if she isn't too busy.

But it's always best to get the YES before starting your work!!  Glad you found something!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

If someone wants to find a script written by someone outside the community, there is no reason they shouldn't. One issue with asking someone from the site to write a script is they might feel used or disappointing if the person who ask them doesn't like it or want to use it, and the amount of scripts that people here right and publicly post with no plan on making are few and far between.

Maybe Togfox like reading scrips and sometimes runs across one he really wants to shoot? No one should have to justify why they go to an outside source to help them. Besides getting people that aren't in the same very small community is refreshing, and should allow for some subject matter that is different or at least explored from a different perspective them what we are accustom to.

Also, Togfox, good on you for doing the right thing and respecting the other artists wishes, it sucks sometimes but keeping ourselves honest and not taking advantage of other artists is a truly good cause.

I have a very limited number of bricks - probably ~3000 pieces (and never the one's I need) and building sets is a struggle and large sets are simply impossible.  For this reason, I go looking for scripts that require small sets (i.e exclusively indoors) and tight frames so I can be economical on the number of bricks needed.  I'm not above ordering bricks for a particular set - and I have an order from bricklink right now - but that is a gradual process that doesn't help me right now.

Anyway, point is, there are a lot of great writers here with a lot of great scripts but none are written to meet my needs (small sets).  For this reason I go trawling the net for scripts that are within my means and as stated above, it's a great networking opportunity and I bumped into a professional writer by accident and will follow his work going forward.

So, not being defensive here, but perhaps giving idea's to others in the same boat.  mini/smile

HOO: I read your Marianna script months ago and commented on it at the time.  I like it and would enjoy watching it but I know I don't have the bricks or the after effects magic to do it justice.  I can see how that script would play out in my head and I know I'd fall short of what is needed.  For me - now is not the time.  My learnings though is that perhaps next time I'll canvass this forum for scripts ready to go.  mini/smile

Sloth: Thanks for your comments.  BiM is a small community.  My youtube tracking stats prove this.  I get more views from non-animation sites than I do from BiM.  Many posts go unanswered which reinforces this view (not knocking BiM btw!).  You've stated before you use voice actors that you know in real life and can record in-person.  How refreshing and fun that must be!  And as you say, the scripts are real life drama's designed for live action so the new perspective will be a great challenge to translate.  The writer says he'd love to see his script translated to a stop-motion so it seems there is a tiny bit of bring two worlds together here.

Thanks for the comments all.  HOO: if you have a script that requires small interior sets then let me know and I'll put it on my backlog.  mini/smile

Aka Fox