Re: What was the last movie you watched?

The Giver (2014)

Spoiler (click to read)

Review in a spoiler box for those who have not read the book or seen the movie.

I was on/off about going to see this before today. I had been wanting to see it on opening day, but I still was reluctant and apprehensive. I finally went to see it.

And it works...as a fan film, not a film adaptation. The trailer should have had the words "inspired by a book by Lois Lowry", not "based on". It would have also worked if Jonas was actually twelve, like he is in the book, if Brenton Thwaites wasn't cast in that role, and if he didn't have to freakin' narrate and give us exposition that we've already heard.

I hate narrations. Unless they're done right, and if they're short and sweet, and only for the beginning and the end. Otherwise, I bloody hate 'em. The fact that Thwaites is in this really bugs me.

All the other cast seems pretty nicely assembled. I was unsure about Jeff Bridges at first, because I thought he was a little too clean-shaven to play a character, who by the looks of the book cover, reminded me of Dumbledore's brother from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part Two.

And yes. By now, everyone knows that The Giver failed to include most of the key parts that made the book so creatively creative. And if you're not sure what The Giver actually is, it's the 1993 children/young adult novel shaped the future for dystopian, noncomformist books for teenagers. Divergent, The Hunger Games, among others were all moulded and shaped from this novel. It's almost like 1984 for kids.

One of the main gripes that I have is that the film sped right through the first ten chapters in under ten minutes (which really annoys me because there's a lot of crucial character buildup and important parts in those chapters), and already Jonas escapes his community right before the first hour is up. And that doesn't happen until the last third of the book. They've abandoned all the most important parts of the book for the two things most moviegoers want to see: action and romance. Jonas and Fiona are never set up to be lovers, yet they kiss three times in the movie, and it kills me every time I see them exchange smooches. They're eleven years old going on twelve in the books, despite the fact that Thwaites is 25, and Odeya Rush (who plays Fiona) is 17.

Taylor Swift's scenes are kinda lame as well. In the book, the Giver transmits his memory of her character to Jonas, and in the movie, she's a hologram. That's simply laziness on the filmmaker's part.

On the positive side, the film really does work as a fan-film. The way the screenwriters incorporated the story worked well, overall. But, they tried to change too many things, and I wish they wouldn't try to market their movie as an adaptation, because it isn't that.

They tried, and that's what matters. I do hope that, if they want to adapt The Giver's sequel, Gathering Blue and the other two books in The Giver Quartet, they will listen to the advice that the fans are giving. But, I doubt that that will happen. Hollywood never listens. They have money to burn. So they will throw it away on "adapting" books and comics and other source material incorrectly just to try and start crap with audiences and to infuriate them.

Because Hollywood.

Because ignorant filmmakers.

7/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

The Raid 2
  Absolutely awesome over-the-top gory action that I'd say holds up to the first movie. The cinematography was absolutely fantastic, not just were still shots really well framed but the action was shot in a marvelous way so that you could always see the action rather than just quick close-ups of it like most modern Hollywood action movies.
  Speaking of which the action is once again absolutely phenomenal and lives up in almost every way to the original, sporting ridiculously good choreography that's all the easier to appreciate thanks to the fact that the fights are usually done in very few shots.
  If you don't mind some blood, and by that I mean a lot of blood, and love a well put together fight, then I highly recommend watching this film, after the first one that is.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I got around to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy. Finally a Marvel movie other than Iron Man that I can actually call a good film. I actually cared about the characters and was interested in the way that their relationships developed, which I can't say about any of the other Marvel movies I've seen (other than Iron Man). It also doesn't take itself seriously at all, which makes it feel more comic booky and more fun than the Thor films or The Avengers, while still maintaining an air of danger and impending doom. Also it's totally sci-fi. Basically I really liked it and you should go see it if you haven't already. mini/smile

Edit: Also, there was some interesting cinematography that I think separates it from other Marvel films; there were some shots where the photographer in me said "Ooh, that's nice".

Last edited by backyardlegos (August 18, 2014 (12:03pm))

Three masterpieces and a fun summer movie, in the opposite of that order:

Guardians of the Galaxy: Fun, I felt that it had some of the edge and uniqueness that was sorely lacking in The Avengers, which made it a lot more enjoyable and refreshing for me. The only big issue I had with the film was that it takes itself so lightly that the dramatic scenes (such as the opening scene) fall flat and feel hokey instead of doing what they're supposed to. I suppose I prefer it when humor is balanced with seriousness a little more adeptly.

The Thin Blue Line: A documentary by Errol Morris. I have seen several of his documentaries, I think this has got to be my favorite and will likely remain in my top 10 favorite films. Not necessarily because of entertainment value, but because it's such a compelling and well-told story. That this is achieved in the form of a documentary is amazing to me, and this film actually affected a real change with regard to the story it tells after it was released, which is a very cool thing to me in demonstrating what movies can do.

Amadeus: I've seen this many times, but it remains one of my favorite films, if not my favorite film. It can be a bit melodramatic at times, but it is all executed so exceptionally well that I feel it works. If you enjoy dramas and have not seen it, it's essentially my highest recommendation.

The Act of Killing: Like The Thin Blue Line this film achieves something incredible in telling a story in a documentary format. I just saw it today, so I'm definitely still processing, but it has to be one of the most memorable films I have seen in a long time. Not as masterfully cinematic and polished as The Thin Blue Line perhaps, but the scope of it leaves a lot to think about.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sméagol wrote:

The Thin Blue Line: A documentary by Errol Morris. I have seen several of his documentaries, I think this has got to be my favorite and will likely remain in my top 10 favorite films. Not necessarily because of entertainment value, but because it's such a compelling and well-told story. That this is achieved in the form of a documentary is amazing to me, and this film actually affected a real change with regard to the story it tells after it was released, which is a very cool thing to me in demonstrating what movies can do.

I loved the reconstructions; they were beautifully shot, and it was a great device in showing how the police's understanding of events/witnesses' versions of events changed over time/differed from each other.

Spoiler (click to read)

If you read about events that happened after the film was made, it does also present a big flaw in the US prison system. Randall Adams was only given about $40 (I think I read that somewhere) on being released, which is disgraceful. It was an error on the part of the police that had him incarcerated for so many years of his life and yet he was never truly compensated. It's outrageous that anyone could be disrespected so badly.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Yeah, The Thin Blue Line invented the convention of re-enactments which are pretty common in true crime shows now. But they were still so much cooler than any of that kind of thing I've seen in that they differed with the peoples' recollections.

Gaurdians of the Galaxy
http://funmismoviereviews.blogspot.ca/2 … y2014.html
One of the best movies I have ever seen

Last edited by funmiproductions (August 20, 2014 (01:22pm))

Monsters university. (MU)

It was okay... Yeah... It was ok... This is awkward, So bye. mini/lol

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Guardians of the Galaxy

Very good film.

Great Story, Cinematography, Acting, Vfx, Soundtrack and very funny.

Go and watch it right now.

10/10

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2

Most of what I liked about the first film is there again. Great animation. The animation on Chester V stood out in particular; it gave him a zen-like attitude. And of course, the imagery is great. Visually very well done. However, the film relied a lot on visual humor for cheap gags. It departed from the humor and style of the first film, in which I felt the sheer absurdity of the situations gave way to a lot of good, actually funny gags. There's not much of that in 2. Finally, one of the main messages of the film (that the "food monsters" are actually sentient creatures with a right to live) is kinda ruined at the end when Flynn goes fishing with his dad. If we're going with the film's message, fish are sentient creatures too, so why are the main characters who just learned this lesson going to go hook some fish and eat them? But they're sardines and delicious, plus it makes for great bonding time with Dad, so I guess it doesn't matter.

So overall, it was a movie I enjoyed watching once, but I'll probably not be watching it again.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

AKIRA
what
WHAT
W H A T

Spoiler (click to read)

I'm sorry but there's no other explanation for this movie, I am at a complete loss for words WHAT DID I JUST WATCH

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

jstudios wrote:

AKIRA
what
WHAT
W H A T

Spoiler (click to read)

I'm sorry but there's no other explanation for this movie, I am at a complete loss for words WHAT DID I JUST WATCH

I thought you had already seen this movie. You had made a joke a few pages back that you would never show kids Akira, unless you were feeling especially cruel.

jstudios wrote:

AKIRA
what
WHAT
W H A T

Spoiler (click to read)

Ah, one of my favourite animated films in the Anime genre. Haven't seen it since last year!

Moonrise Kingdom

This is a great movie, Directed by Wes Anderson, you should go and watch it.

10/10

Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Another great Wes Anderson film, you should go and watch that too.

10/10

Lucy

Violent, Graphic and quite interesting, yet it is very unreal.

8/10

- Available to compose for any upcoming projects -

God Is ^Not Dead

Relatively low cheeziness level for a Christian Themed movie.  Such films have come a long way.  Actually, a very realistic depiction of a commonplace occurence on college campuses/ campii.  Strangely, the guy Willie from "Duck Dynasty" (never watched the show) and his wife appears in the movie.  His beard always makes me laugh.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Guardians of the Galaxy

It's really good.  I liked it a lot.  There are great details everywhere.

Sméagol wrote:

Amadeus: I've seen this many times, but it remains one of my favorite films, if not my favorite film. It can be a bit melodramatic at times, but it is all executed so exceptionally well that I feel it works. If you enjoy dramas and have not seen it, it's essentially my highest recommendation.

I second that! And I feel the same way, one of my favorites, if not my favorite.

TCOTY Entry: The Perks of Being TCOTY
ToY Entry: Secrets of the Lost Tomb
Please visit me on the YouTubes!
Care to follow me on the Twitter?

Continuing to watch lots of documentaries in preparation for the production of ours!

The Unknown Known: I love Errol Morris's style, and Donald Rumsfeld is a great subject for a documentary like this. The reasoned, balanced approach of it makes all the agenda-heavy political documentaries out there feel childish by comparison.

Dear Zachary: I feel like this documentary has some flaws on a filmmaking level, but is pretty well-made. It's a good example of how documentary narrative can borrow from the structure of conventional feature films, much as The Thin Blue Line does. The material, on the other hand, really makes it special. I had heard lots of cheesy warnings about it like "bring tissues" but it still surprised me. The most emotionally devastating film I've ever seen. It's interesting how the personal, intimate scale of it achieves that kind of effect in ways that the epic scale of The Act of Killing does not, at least not to the same degree. I wouldn't even be comfortable recommending it for the most part simply because of how unpleasant I felt it as.

Been awhile since I posted a film review here.

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)

Just awesome. The sweeping scale, the special effects, the hilarious acting is all tied together by an epic story. I love an action movie that is willing to take risks, and make jokes from time to time. The comedic timing is always on par, and Depp stole the show. This movie is pure awesomeness, and I'll definitely be watching the rest of the movies, despite everyone saying that the first is far superior, and that the others don't come close.

The ultimate pirate movie.

9.5/10