Topic: Format conversion for film festivals

Let's say if I am able to access funding for an intercultural or cross cultural project, an intercultural project being a film made by brickfilmers from different parts of the world based on the same theme edited as one film, and a cross cultural project being a film made by brickfilmers from 2 different countries.

The goals of the project would be to allow brickfilmers be better filmmakers through knowledge transfer, allow audiences to study the differences and similarities of how different cultural settings affect the creative process and ultimately to promote international understanding. This would also create a platform for budding filmmakers to gain the exposure they need to penetrate into the industry besides having something that looks really good on their resumes.

I'm sure for a project like this, funders would require the final product to make it rounds in film festivals internationally. I'm sure film festivals won't really consider entries in mpeg4, avi or WMA. So, my question is this, what formats must the films be in order to be considered? Is there any way to convert mpeg4s, avis and WMAs into those formats? How much would it cost?

Also, would these formats require professional equipment? If I am doing this, I am afraid I will only start working on it by 2016 or 2017 but I am just doing the preliminary research for it for now just to get reactions from potential funders. Are there any indication that film festivals would be more open to accepting film entries made in streaming formats? I may be able to get advertisers to help out if the film is promoted via video sharing sites but mostly for operating costs.

Still loading....

Re: Format conversion for film festivals

Festivals have gotten a lot accepting of various digital formats in recent years. Many festivals will accept a Blu Ray disc for exhibition purposes, and you can make those pretty easily with Adobe Encore (part of the Creative Cloud suite you can rent for a fairly low monthly fee) and a $50 blu ray burner. The discs themselves are maybe $1.50 a disc these days.

The really picky festivals might go so far as to request a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) which, with a little ingenuity, is also is also possible to create on a budget.

For what it's worth, you only would need to make these HD copies for the festivals your film is accepted to. Right now pretty much everybody still uses DVDs or digital uploads for the judging process that takes place beforehand. You can find a lot of the major festivals on FilmFreeway and that site allows free, high quality uploads through Vimeo or their own service for the judging process. Alternately there is Withoutabox, which has far more festivals registered but is a far inferior service because they had a monopoly for about a decade and never made any effort to offer a good service because of this.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I've got to get one of those Blu-Ray burners.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

This is exciting. I was misinformed by someone I know IRL that it costs many many thousands of dollars and many many hours to render a film that would be accepted by film festivals. Now I need to check if he invented the time machine and if he'd just came back from the past. mini/lol

I've identified a group of filmmakers who have attended film exchanges before and I am designing a survey for them to study if there were any gaps in their experiences participating in that exchange. This survey may be extended to brickfilmers as well in stages just to gauge interests levels, preferences, working styles and production budgets. I may be given a smaller budget to work with in the initial stages to make a proof of concept though that is still a bit too early to tell. Hopefully, if this program gets off the ground, it would be something that participants and funders can design together.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I've got to get one of those Blu-Ray burners.

Me too. I've wanted to buy your DVDs from before but I am half way around the world from the US currently so if I buy now, I am mostly just paying for shipping costs. Once I am in Chicago, I'll hit you up again and you can ship to me there. I'll be able to save up on a lot of shipping costs that way.

Still loading....

In fairness, there may be a few older festivals here or there that want 35mm prints, which do cost a ton of money to produce. Also, to get a DCP made professionally is expensive, and some festivals require that format. But with some extra work you can make a DCP yourself.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Thanks for the info.

I think I may know where to get information regarding demographics of attendees to various film festivals. Maybe I can look at that and then target film festivals with audiences that this project would appeal to.

Yah, maybe I should have done that first.

Still loading....

I've recently looked up making DCP stuff, I don't think I have any need or reason to jump into something like that at this point but it looks very doable. Right now many Brickfilmers have the equiptment on the camera side of things to make 4K films, although I personally don't have the computing power to work in AE at 4K and maintain any amount of sanity. But the 2K resolutions are pretty doable.

This is very helpful, thanks.

Actually, I've never done this with filmmakers before so there may be a learning curve involved for the coordinating secretariat, the participants and the funders. Might be a better idea to start small and target smaller festivals for the first round.

But if it comes to making the final product into DCP 4K or 2K, I'll keep that in mind.

Still loading....

JF wrote:

The goals of the project would be to allow brickfilmers be better filmmakers through knowledge transfer, allow audiences to study the differences and similarities of how different cultural settings affect the creative process and ultimately to promote international understanding. This would also create a platform for budding filmmakers to gain the exposure they need to penetrate into the industry besides having something that looks really good on their resumes.

I big hurdle would be getting all the global collaboration, if I was going to do a film with a bunch of other international brickfilmers that wasn't mine I would want to see the project mostly done from a post production stage.  The script would have to be done and I would have to like it and it would be preferable if it was fully story boarded and voice acted so different animators could be assigned different sets to build and work with. That way it would be clear to everyone participating that you wouldn't be asking for work from them without having done any work yourself and if the film makers could watch an edited cut via story boards they could tell if it was a good film worth participating in.

If you make a film and want to get it to festivals you can make it happen, but making the movie is the real hard part.

That's a very good point. I am planning for this to be a participant-led program so ideally if we could fly all participants to the same location to storyboard, nominate a director or editor, for workshops etc that would be great. I think funders would also want to provide input at various production stages.

I was thinking of how an ensemble piece would work as well. Say all the brickfilmers are given the same theme and they have to make their own segments of the film. One idea I had in my head was about a rolling stud that rolls off and on into a scene. The goal for every participant involved would be to create a scene of how the stud would roll onto their set, what would happen to it and how the stud could roll out of their set into the set of another participant from a different country. So for an idea like this, the participants would have to be in the same location (or even teleconferencing maybe?) to storyboard, to make sure they are not making scenes based on the same ideas and who gets to do which scene.

So for that to happen, each participant would be responsible for the post-production for his/her own scenes. Anyways, I was also told that forcing these structures on filmmakers will not provide them with a conducive environment to work in. So I am gathering all these different ideas now so that hopefully at the workshop stage, at least one of them can go into development. Or maybe in the brainstorming session, someone can come up with even a better idea.

I was also informed, voice acting might not be a good idea because of language barriers. I will be collecting best practices from film exchange projects soon while sharing sample ideas and models with would-be participants just to get feedback.

I am still not able to come up with ideas for a plot-based piece with a main protagonist and events within that piece that will lead to climaxes and denouements that can be done by brickfilmers in different locations. Also, I am just researching at random at the moment, once I put my mind into it, I think I might stumble upon something that could work for everyone.

Still loading....

That sounds really cool, and quite a bit little different then I was imagining, still having a solid groundwork before you begin might making getting investor interested easier.

Yup. I guess the workshops will be documented and included at the end of the film to show who the participants are and where they are based.

If that clip shows them having fun and all, that would help in getting investors interested for the second round.

If it shows them punching each other in the face, then getting investors interested would be next to impossible.

Still loading....