Topic: Boxtrolls

I find it interesting when a CGI lego movie made to look like stop motion is released we all get excited but when a real stop motion movie is released its not even mentioned.

Guess we like our Lego more than we like stop motion.  mini/tongue

(BTW: I enjoyed both movies and they have both spurred on my passion.  mini/smile )

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Re: Boxtrolls

Why did you make this thread? I don't see the need for it, it doesn't make any sense. If you want to talk about this movie put it on the "What was the last movie you watched?" thread. The reason why we made a thread for The LEGO Movie is because that is LEGO's first theatrical film and this is a site for brickfilms mostly made with LEGOs. This isn't just any stopmotion forum, it's one for brickfilms, The LEGO Movie was made to look like a brickfilm. The Box Trolls isn't, therefore this thread is unnecessary.

I talked about this in the already mentioned "What was the last movie you watched?" thread, while I am a huge stop motion nerd/fan and was very excited for The Boxtrolls and loved it, but most of the people here are more fans of live action film/regular film than being specifically into stop motion. It's just a reality of the demographics of the community, at least from what I've observed.

I have no problem with somebody making a thread about a stop motion animated feature in a forum about movie discussion on a site about stop motion animation.

That being said, the somewhat tepid reviews as well as the trailers for this movie have kept me away. I guess it's fair to say that it being stop motion does not increase my interest very much more than I'd be interested in a film made in any other medium.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

The trailers for Box Trolls were awful and should not be taken a a reflection of the quality of the final film. I thought the film was excallent and encourage everyone to see it. The day before seeing it I was going to post a a trailer on my Facebook but ended up using one of the early teasers which were far better.

I saw the film myself a week ago and thought it was pretty good. I definitely liked ParaNorman and Coraline much better, and the aforementioned LEGO Movie is leagues ahead in my opinion, but it was a fun movie that I recommend if their aren't many other movies you want to see. If nothing else, the quality and intricacy of the stop-motion kept me engaged.

Also I hate annoying little kids. Like, in real life. Control your kids don't just let them run around the movie theater while the films going like flippin idiots. Jesus, kids have no respect for the arts these days.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

I thought this forum would be all over the boxtrolls, for its good and bad points, but i dont read the latest movie thread so i missed that.

The "annoying kids" genre doesnt appeal to me either but i focused on the stop motion and was blown away at how well it was done.  I counted 31 animators in the credits.  I couldnt work out how they got the facial expressions so varied.  Found out later they used replacement faces, lots of them!  Its an insane artform for sure.

I just get worried that every stop motion feature i see will be the last one to hit hte screen.  More so when the papers say this one only just broke even (not sure if that is true).

Last edited by togfox (October 6, 2014 (10:25pm))

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Laika has a big advertisement branch, which I have a feeling they use to pay at least of a portion of the bills on the features, and the studio seems pretty stable right now, so I'd expect to see at least another theatrical film from them before stop. Also, I believe Aardman has a full feature in production right now, and they've become a pretty large stable company, thanks to their success in television and advertising, so I'd expect they'll be a reliable source of films in the future, considering the success of their past features (Pirates doubled it's budget), even if there is a lot of time between films.