Topic: Creating Contests on BIM how do they work?

Hi there guys,

I am not sure if this is in the right thread or not, but if it isn't feel free to move it.

I have been planning from a little while back, a new contest to introduce to BIM.

It's different from other contests and the idea is appealing.

But I do have some questions;

1.) How do I organize judges? Is the normal method to just PM them from the site?

2.) For prizes what is the best way to get prizes from sites like brickforge to sponsor your contest as in provide some prizes? Would I need to contact them or do Mods/staff of BIM do that?

3.) Can contests get reviewed before they are released to the general films thread?

4.) How does contact with the judges work? Is it via skype?

I'd love to know these questions, so I am a little more familiar on how the concept works and what it undergoes before making its appearance to the public.

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Creating Contests on BIM how do they work?

If you want to make a contest, it's really up to you to sort out all of those things.

However, BricksInMotion has a bunch of official contest every year:

• BRAWL (Brickfilm Rapidly All Week Long) normally happens in the summer holidays.

• THAC (Twenty-four Hour Animation Contest) normally happens around the Christmas holidays.

• Often there's an additional summer contest, like ToY (Tales of Yore).

• If I remember right, there's also an Easter contest.

Now other contests, like Celebration, do pop up from time-to-time, and those are official BiM contests. Conversely, the 2015 Contest (interest in which seems to have all but peetered out) was entirely 'fan-produced' - the admins of the site had no involvement. I started and will judge the contest with a couple of other members, and other members will also be providing members, but it's up to use to do all of those things because it's not an official BiM contest.

Organising a contest is not as straightforward as you might think, though I appreciate that you have begun to give the processes of making a contest some thought. To answer your questions in order:

1) Up to you. You can PM them, make a thread asking for judges, YouTube message people...

2) I'm afraid I highly doubt Brickforge and the like would want to sponsor a small, unofficial contest, so it would be up to you to buy and distribute the prizes.

3) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Mods and admins normally discuss things in detail before they are released publicly, so I guess you could send your idea to one of us and we could 'review' it.

4) That's up to you.

If you think you have a really original idea for a contest, that's great but you might want to check with some older members first, in case it was done before you arrived on the site. I'd also, however, advise you not to make a contest, which may sound hypocritical having started 2015, but I'd note that despite having prizes and everything 2015 seems to have all but failed. Nobody seems to be making entries, and the thread has been dead for months. Other new members often try to start contests on the site, and this normally ends in controversy I'm sad to say (I will not mention names).

There's actually nothing to stop you making your contest right now, as a thread in General Film Discussion, but BiM will not sponsor it, and it's up to you and other members who might be interested to organize and purchase everything.

Sorry if this seems harsh, but this is the policy with contests: BiM has its official ones, and the rest are up to its members.

Now is also probably a bad time to start a contest, what with it being 'back-to-school' time.

I hope all of this helps. Don't be disheartened by any of what I've said.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Hey Jampot,

Hands down to providing some great information about this topic for me/(Others). So firstly thank you for taking your time to mention some great tips of advice.

Now, just to clear up some questions/things.

Jampot wrote:

I'm afraid I highly doubt Brickforge and the like would want to sponsor a small, unofficial contest, so it would be up to you to buy and distribute the prizes.

Do you mean unoffical as it has not been released to the public of yet? Also how do other contests get sponsored? Is it cause their better known or is it something completely different? This was also mainly more of a question rather than a first choice I was already aware that the likely chance of a contest being sponsored was low. So I would be happy to fix this when the time comes.

Jampot wrote:

3) I'm not sure what you mean by this. Mods and admins normally discuss things in detail before they are released publicly, so I guess you could send your idea to one of us and we could 'review' it.

As the topic of the contest being read/reviewed by a moderator/member of the site to see if anything should be added fixed, or anything relating to it. That also sounds great, I'll deffs send a copy to one of you. Infact I'll PM you sometime this week, and speak to you about it if its alright with you.

jampot wrote:

If you think you have a really original idea for a contest, that's great but you might want to check with some older members first, in case it was done before you arrived on the site.

I think my idea for the contest is differently very different and original too most others, and for several reasons. I won't mention anything now until/unless it's released and go from there. I think that's a great idea inregards to checking order contests I remember doing this when I first came to BiM and I did see how a few contests were really not organised right and did cripple in the process. I will look through them again and see whats around and make sure nothing is of what I had in mind.

jampot wrote:

I'd also, however, advise you not to make a contest, which may sound hypocritical having started 2015, but I'd note that despite having prizes and everything 2015 seems to have all but failed. Nobody seems to be making entries, and the thread has been dead for months. Other new members often try to start contests on the site, and this normally ends in controversy I'm sad to say (I will not mention names).

No offence taken I do understand where your coming from. Anyhow I would wish to discuss this with you or someone else before making any final hasty decisions. Which hopefully I will get around to PMing you sometime this week in-regards to it. May I ask what happened to the 2015 contest? It seemed really great and was something I was actually looking forward to seeing. Possibly cause it's different to what members are use too? Also I can understand where your coming from with new members starting contests as they think it's cool and fun too and don't really take into consideration what there really getting into. As I said this idea has been in my head for quite some time. It's not something I want rushed and want it to be produced well before it makes an appearance if it does at all. It's definetly not everyones fortay but if produced correctly and advised by the right people it could be done.

jampot wrote:

There's actually nothing to stop you making your contest right now, as a thread in General Film Discussion, but BiM will not sponsor it, and it's up to you and other members who might be interested to organize and purchase everything.

Thank you, I am pleased to know this option is available. I do understand that BiM won't sponsor it neither would I want you(s) too. Just for the fact you guys dedicated this great not for profit site for all of us to benefit. Of course the prizes and such would come down to the Contest Founder/Creator to handle himself.

Jampot wrote:

Sorry if this seems harsh, but this is the policy with contests: BiM has its official ones, and the rest are up to its members.

No no, not at all Jampot I appreciate the honesty and sincerity to what you have provided and said. I do have question tho. With the offical Contests what makes them official? Is it that the contest is once a year and continues every year? Is it because of the number of entries that are made? Sorry I am just trying to figure out how this particular catergory works, and how contests become official or just member contests.

Jampot wrote:

Now is also probably a bad time to start a contest, what with it being 'back-to-school' time.

I totally agree with you on this. Of course if it was released now not that it would be it could be just for people to get an idea of what the contest is about then give an offical date for the start of it. The only problem with this is people tend to start earlier than the actual date when given ample oppurtunity but of course this really does come down to the contest founder. But I mainly speak in regards to as when the schools are about to go on their holiday break.

Jampot wrote:

I hope all of this helps. Don't be disheartened by any of what I've said.

This was very Helpful Jampot thank you for putting your time to provide this great information mini/smile
Don't worry I am not disheartened at all. In fact I am delighted by what you have said and the truth too it. Hopefully I will make contact with you sometime this week, in regards to it.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

By unofficial, I mean it's not an official BiM contest: a contest run by the admins/owners of the site, which is pretty much Smeagol. If he organized a contest, or had someone organize a contest, that had the BiM logo in it, that would count as official. Anything run by individual members is unofficial, and unlike to get the traction of a sponsorship from Brickforge or Brickwarriors. For a start, those companies need to receive something in return: BiM can offer a small amount of publicity, which individual members mostly can't (an exception could be thefourmonkeys - I think they ran a contest sponspored by Oyo that was an unofficial contest). Just say if this explanation isn't clear, I'll try to make it as succint as I can.

There's no set of guidelines for a contest, as we make a point of not enforcing/monitoring every thread and challenge members make (we're a very relaxed forum compared to others, and I think our environment is better for it), but it might be worth just getting a second opinion. Sure, I'll give your idea a read. I'll give you as honest a response as I can, so please don't be offended if I make some radical suggestions; I think it's better for mistakes to happen with any project before it goes public. Trial and error, right?

If anyone's working on an entry to 2015, then that's news to me. The idea is it would be an ongoing contest to produce a high-quality brickfilm segment, but people didn't like the idea of tri-monthly updates, and so I now have no way of guaging interest.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:

I'd note that despite having prizes and everything 2015 seems to have all but failed. Nobody seems to be making entries, and the thread has been dead for months.

Just like to note that I'm actually working on an entry.  I do have a great idea, although it's going pretty slowly (in the process of scripting and planning out shots right now) but I think I still have time to make it ere the deadline.  Real life has the unfortunate habit of getting in the way of my brickfilming ambitions, haha.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Yay! mini/bigsmile  that makes you and Sonjira. Glad to know interest hasn't died after all!

Wait, there was a 2015 contest?

You might want to change your signature. Just to advertise it a bit better.

YouTube
Max, She/They

jampot wrote:

Yay! mini/bigsmile  that makes you and Sonjira. Glad to know interest hasn't died after all!

With a $100 prize, how could I refuse? mini/mrgreen

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

In my experience, contests with a long running time always get few entries. We've seen it before (Prof1515's MoB contest, to a lesser extent some of my summer contests). 3 months, during the North American summer months, seems to be the sweet spot if you want good, ambitious films.

The good thing for your 2015 contest (jampot) is if you make a fresh push to promote it, it could basically be treated a shorter contest.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Alright thanks for that Jampot, wow this thread took a good toll onto your contest mini/tongue

But nah honestly thank you, you answered all my main questions I had. I will get in touch with you soon.

Sincerely,
Divine.

I'm thinking of starting a Thread similar to the animation challenge.

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Kizar wrote:

I'm thinking of starting a Thread similar to the animation challenge.

Psst that exists...

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Kizar you make me laugh man, your always just a tiny bit late! mini/lol mini/tongue

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:

Kizar you make me laugh man, your always just a tiny bit late! mini/lol mini/tongue

Sincerely,
Divine.

Please don't make fun of other members, Divine.

I can assure you I wasn't making fun of Kizar Jampot, it was merely a joke just for a laugh I'm sure Kizar would agree. I don't know why you would think otherwise?

Sincerely,
Divine.

It did sound like you were making fun of him.

Na, Its not offensive. I'm make a contest (Hopefully) that when you win you pick the next Blank vs. Blank. Anywho I might not do it. Plus it doesn't make sense when I h=give off tiny hints. But Divine I didn't think it was offensive, I laughed when I read it. mini/lol

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com

Rockydude I really don't think you need to continue what Jampot initially said, after I responded as I was very clear on what I said.

And Kizar I knew you wouldn't find it offensive mate mini/smile Just having a laugh and I'm glad at least you had a laugh as well that was the point mini/tongue  I like the sound of that contest! I actually look forward to it man! If you need judges or someone to help you out PM me or let me know mini/smile I'll be happy to give you a hand.

Next time to avoid issues or miscommunication can we please avoid commenting on behalf of someone else, for things that are clear it could be a joke, as this was clearly just to have a laugh about and meant no kind of offence, because that way realistically only offending me which is not nice.

But honestly lets forget about this and just be happy I believe I have a great relationship with everyone here  infact all of us do with each other lets not ruin that mini/tongue

Also could a Moderator please lock this thread? Theres no need for any other comments or for this thread to continue being unlocked. I don't want this escalating into something when nothing happened.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (October 8, 2014 (03:06am))

As you wish.