Re: What was the last movie you watched?

OneDouglas wrote:

I actually like the Tim Burton version better than the 70s one.

I'm generally of the same opinion, although I haven't seen either recently enough to say anything actually thoughtful on the subject (although I think we have the new version on DVD back at home somewhere, for some reason).

Max Butcher wrote:

...even though the family film was already really disturbing.

And don't forget about the tunnel ride. No one can ever forget the tunnel ride! Probably because its implanted in the nightmares of thousands of viewers who will never be able to forget!!! *bloodcurdling scream*

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

I prefer the 70's one to the '05 remake anyday. Gives off a nice classic vibe, and also because I like Gene Wilder's performance a lot better.

Prisoners
Normally, I only can enjoy thrillers made by Hitchcock, but this film was not only captivating, but inspiring! I enjoyed the dialogue and cinematography. Also, the acting was better than most movies today, in my opinion.

9/10

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Mickey wrote:
Max Butcher wrote:

...even though the family film was already really disturbing.

And don't forget about the tunnel ride. No one can ever forget the tunnel ride! Probably because its implanted in the nightmares of thousands of viewers who will never be able to forget!!! *bloodcurdling scream*

I find that scene as fascinating as it is horrifying.

Why does Willy Wonka have this tunnel? Is it to add extra flavour to his snozzberries? Was it because he did a deal with the Devil and has a portal to hell in his factory? Does the factory exist throughout several dimensions and the tunnel is a wormhole? Is it just because Wonka likes scaring the pants off his guests?

There is no reason why the tunnel exists, and it's never mentioned afterwards. When I was a kid and all the later whimsical stuff was happening, I was just turning to my parents saying: "...but what was with that tunnel!?"

YouTube
Max, She/They

There are still a few things I like about the 2005 film, but the 70s one has a special place in my heart.  I had watched it since I was a little lad and it has a slot of memories with it, plus it has that whole classic feel to it.  It also has what is in my opinion one of the happiest endings I've every seen.   It never fails to make me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

I only ever read the book after seeing both of the films.  The only thing I'm disappointed about being left out is square candies that look round.
Apparently, the guy who wrote the book hated the movie, but he's silly.  Willy Wonka is a rad movie.

Roald Dahl hated a lot of things. Children, obesity, television, bubblegum, beards, vegetables - all of his best books are him venting his anger at stuff. I'm not surprised he hated the film, although very few writers like adaptations of their books anyway.

YouTube
Max, She/They

Okay, I saw so much movies since the starting of Summer so I chosen some to review, if I chose all this list would take up 2 pages.

The Fault in our Stars
Not as good as the book but still amazing. The trailers aren't that good so don't trust them. This movie is funny and sad and so amazing. I felt kinda awkward there though, I went with my sister and all of the audience were moms and 12 year old girls. There was this one guy that came with his girlfriend and started watching the world cup on his phone... But it was a good movie, solid writing that will make you laugh and cry, great acting, amazing movie.

8/10

The Grey

I loved this movie, it kept me in suspense, the acting was amazing and the long moments of nothing I found creepy as hell. Liam Neeson was amazing in this. At times it did get a bit repetitive with the wolfs coming and going, but it was a good movie. I love the cliffhanger ending, I think I liked it so much cause usually, I find happy endings terrible, not all the time just they usually aren't very well written, for me anyway.

7/10

2 Guns

Pretty good movie, I mean it's basically a generic action comedy. I like the ending, it was funny. At times it got boring, but this movie is still fun.

6.5/10

Face/Off
This movie was amazing. It had amazing acting along with solid writing and a good plot. I love the boat chase scene, probs the best chase scene ever.

8/10

The Big Wedding

It wasn't great but I still got some laughs from it. The actors were definitely it's strongest points.

5/10

The Book of Mormon
I- I uh saw a bootleg on YouTube of the original performance... mini/shifty Anyway, this is probably the most hilarious thing I have ever seen. I love it so so much. Josh Gad and Andrew Reynolds are amazing in it and the writing was hilarious and the songs were so catchy.

9.7/10

The Cabin in the Woods

I didn't really find this that creepy, nor did I find it that funny, but that doesn't change the fact the I loved this movie. It has a unique premise, good writing and dialogue most movies fail at this and they don't talk like normal people but in this one they do, and great actors.

7/10

12 Years a Slave

Amazing dramatic film. This film, I- there are just no words for it. This film is gross and shows the true terror of being a slave, they don't dimmer it down one bit. It's great the ending was amazing the acting was so good and the writing was great.

9/10

Thor the Dark World

Ehhhh, this movie wasn't very good and it was quite boring for the most part. The acting was good but eh. The villian wasn't intriguing and the only character I liked was Loki.

6/10

Terminator

Great film, great writing, great story, great acting. I found the stop-motion scene hilarious instead of dramatic. Uh, that's all I have to say.

7.5/10

Terminator 2: Judgement Day

Is it weird that I liked the sequel better? This is so much better, I like the story of this one much better. The mom was a bit annoying at times and so was her kid but overall great movie. I also am not going to see any of the sequels cause it would make no sense to have any, this one had a perfect ending.

9/10

3 Days to Kill

Umm... Not that good. This movie kept switching from action movie to family movie. It just, like he would be keeping a guy hostage and then asking him for family advice, some of it was funny but eh.

5/10

The Blair Witch Project

Creepy and suspenseful, probably one of the best found footage films ever. I like how you never see what's haunting them and the end is creepy. Good creepy fun movie to watch.

8/10

School of Rock

I loved it when I was a kid and I still love it. Great movie, it's so funny and I love Jack Black.

8/10

Okay, I'm gonna stop here.

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

Is it weird that I liked the sequel better?

No, Terminator 2 is awesome, it is the best Terminator film and pretty much the golden standard of action movies. None of this watered-down pg-13 action blockbuster nonsense.

SlothPaladin wrote:

Is it weird that I liked the sequel better?

No, Terminator 2 is awesome, it is the best Terminator film and pretty much the golden standard of action movies. None of this watered-down pg-13 action blockbuster nonsense.

Good to know...

Eraser
One of the better action films of the 90's. That being said, growing up watching Arnold Schwarzenegger films, this made me laugh quite a bit. I always thought a lot of the scenes are far too 'fake' to occur, but thats what happens whenever Arnold is in a film.
7.5/10

The Raid
Already watched it, watched it again for my birthday party with like 12 friends. Absolute best movie to watch with friends, if you don't like extreme violence and gore. The action is unbelievably well choreographed and it delivers some huge loads of adrenaline. Worth watching with people for the collective 'Oooohhhhhhh' moments when something particularly crunchy happens. Fantastic action movie.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Under the Skin
An intriguing movie. It was eerie and had some horrifying images, but it's actually a very subtle thriller. It took me a lot of thinking to work out some of the plot's minor details, and the friends who I watched it with were lost from the beginning, but once you get into it it's an engaging ride.

Visually stunning. The hyper-stylised alien lair - which is essentially just screens of black, white, and an empty watery blue, all at different stages - made an interesting contrast to the often derelict areas of Scotland where the first half of the film takes place. The CGI was understated, and scenes like

Spoiler (click to read)

the meat processing sequence halfway through, and the creation of the eye at the beginning

were visually both stunning and unique.

It's only downfall is that its plot, while detailed and fully realised, can be too discreet for its own good at times.

9/10

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

The Book of Mormon
amazing
9.7/10

If you liked that, I encourage you to read the real thing. It's even more amazing, and instead of a 9.7/10, it's a full 10/10.

jstudios wrote:

The Raid
Already watched it, watched it again for my birthday party with like 12 friends. Absolute best movie to watch with friends, if you don't like extreme violence and gore. The action is unbelievably well choreographed and it delivers some huge loads of adrenaline. Worth watching with people for the collective 'Oooohhhhhhh' moments when something particularly crunchy happens. Fantastic action movie.

Have you watched the sequel that came out this year? Even more incredible. There's a bigger emphasis on story and characters, which some people may not appreciate compared to the first movie's minimalist approach, but I loved it. Really was the best sequel to any movie in years. Everything has a wider scope: character development, story, action, locations. Only the soundtrack was a bit underwhelming in my opinion. That aside, I find it amazing to know they've topped themselves with a budget that isn't much bigger than the first Raid.

The Raid: Redemption -- $1.1 million
The Raid 2: $4.5 million

Impressive as heck.

-

Last night I watched City of God. Twisted feel-bad film that closely reminds me of La Haine (1995)--with its hyper-edited pace and exploration of socioeconomic and racial tension. I loved it.

Last edited by Timothy R (October 11, 2014 (06:56pm))

The Raid is awesome if you just accept that apparently everyone in Indonesia is a blackbelt in at least one form of martial art. (I imagine babies dropkick out of their mothers womb.)

YouTube
Max, She/They

Timothy R wrote:
jstudios wrote:

The Raid

Have you watched the sequel that came out this year? Even more incredible.

I have actually, but I prefer each one in different ways. I love the huge scope of the second and the fact that it has even more fights with the last two being so gloriously violent

Spoiler (click to read)

that baseball bat that gets lodged in the guy's face oh god yes

however I feel that given the smaller scope of the first one it was more tight and focused, there was a constant main objective of 'We need to get the hell out of here', whereas the second one keeps needing to justify the fights it's about to have.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

Gone Girl
Guessed one of the plot points pretty early, but the rest of the film had me guessing till the end.  A very Fincher-Esque film, especially the end.  Brilliant!
4/5

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2889/8957456571_f23867aeec_o.jpg
PITCH Part 1 Out Now!
Part 2 Coming Soon

The Aviator (2004)

Nominated for 11 Academy Awards, and winner of five, Martin Scorsese's nearly ten-year-old biographical epic richly documents the uneasy life of filmmaker and innovator, Howard Hughes. I'm fascinated with the history of this strange human being, particularly because of how his accomplishments influenced the future of air travel, as well as that of Hollywood. And when I found out this movie existed, I got excited, particularly because of its all-star cast and its interesting plot. But, the film focuses a little more on Hughes as an aviator, than a movie-maker. Even though, the first half an hour contains Hughes' career as a striving filmmaker, we do see a little more of his passion for planes as the movie goes along.

Hughes' longing for the ability to pull off big things will eventually be his downfall, both physically and mentally. The climactic crash of the XF-11 puts Hughes in a catastrophic medical state that could have killed him. But, it doesn't, and he keeps on trying, despite the legal obstacles hurdled his way. The film conveys the historical instances of Hughes' life almost exactly on key, with some parts understandably dramatized for the movie. Award-winning screenwriter John Logan has wrote a powerful screenplay that matches up quite nicely with the lovely musical score, which was composed by Howard Shore, of Lord of the Rings fame, and the masterful direction of Martin Scorsese. It's, without a doubt, his best film. And Leonardo DiCaprio pulls off a strong performance, even though Cate Blanchett steals the show with her witty charm.

However, the thing I loved most about this film was its sprawling scope. Some don't like overlong movies, unless their substance is interesting. Some long films can be filled to capacity with such banality, that it might just be the cause of some moviegoers' disdain for super-lengthy movies; Michael Bay, I'm looking at you. But, this movie kept me interested for the entire 170 minutes. Even though the pacing was slow, and over-dramatized everything a bit too much--which, in hindsight, is probably why the movie is so long--The Aviator can be an uncomfortable viewing for some, but it's funny, exciting, and thrilling, and if you're interested in finding out about one of the strangest, richest men in American history, you should watch this movie.

9.5/10

Fury
Went to the cinema the other day and saw this with my friends. It was pretty good, except Shia LaBeouf's mustache distracted me most the time. It just seemed so... out of place.