Re: Brikifilms - A Brickfilming Wiki, NEEDS YOUR HELP!

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:
jampot wrote:

Nathan and Rocky, while I appreciate your concern, I have discussed all of this in-depth with BoatsAreRockable.

I'd also like to point out that in future, people are more likely to contribute to the wiki if they are allowed to add content about their own brickfilms as well as those made by others.

That's fine, but an entry to the animation challenge? Why?

One of the things I discussed with Boats was also using the wiki as a base for BFCU canon, and thus every brickfilm that is a part of the BFCU has a page, including BrickStory's Captured and JonnDthunDer's Perpetual Twilight. Besides, it's not like it took me long to make; a page like that takes less than five minutes, and to be honest if other people had animation challenge entries that they were particularly proud of, or perhaps that won that category, I wouldn't feel offended if they made pages for them (as long as they were properly formatted).

And Nathan, the wiki has got along fine so far. The only difference between something like this and Wookiepedia (sorry, I have no idea what Memory Alpha is) is that at the moment it's undernourished. Assume for a second that the wiki magically had brickfilm, director, character and location pages for every animation in the film directory, and that 80% of it was correctly formatted. Would it still be a 'bloated mess', or would it just be an extensive digital encyclopedia?

I really don't think any of this is a problem unless people unless people make it into one.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

jampot wrote:
jampot wrote:

Nathan and Rocky, while I appreciate your concern, I have discussed all of this in-depth with BoatsAreRockable.

I'd also like to point out that in future, people are more likely to contribute to the wiki if they are allowed to add content about their own brickfilms as well as those made by others.

That's fine, but an entry to the animation challenge? Why?

One of the things I discussed with Boats was also using the wiki as a base for BFCU canon, and thus every brickfilm that is a part of the BFCU has a page, including BrickStory's Captured and JonnDthunDer's Perpetual Twilight. Besides, it's not like it took me long to make; a page like that takes less than five minutes, and to be honest if other people had animation challenge entries that they were particularly proud of, or perhaps that won that category, I wouldn't feel offended if they made pages for them (as long as they were properly formatted).

JamPot, listen I respect you, but a entry to the animation challenge should not be acceptable! If it does have a story or something, a good story! Lots a views, then that should be fine! But Santa fighting a Troll shouldn't.

JamPot, listen I respect you, but a entry to the animation challenge should not be acceptable! If it does have a story or something, a good story! Lots a views, then that should be fine! But Santa fighting a Troll shouldn't.

Judging something by views is elitist, and by that logic this wiki should be 100% about Forrestfire101.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Semi-Mod post]

Let's see what BoatsAreRockable has to say. I think everyone has said their piece and any further back and forth will just lead to hurt feelings. It's clear people has different views on what the wiki should be.

This isn't a worldwide obsession like the Star Wars universe. These are Lego videos that are lucky to get a couple of thousand views. In most cases, there is no need for dedicated location and character pages and these details could easily be included in a film or series' own page. There's not usually a huge amount of interest or details anyway and it would come across as completely self-serving.

I also think that some level of exclusivity would have to be maintained and a page should be deemed notable enough to be made. Right now, the Wiki is clogged up by people making pages for themselves and anything else they want and it really appears badly to anyone visiting for the first time. Wikipedia wouldn't let you make a page for whatever you like (and for good reason), so why should this? I'm not saying it should be for top-tier popularity only, but letting anyone make a page for anything they make would be a mess, and is part of the reason why this wiki is currently not taken seriously.

EDIT: This was written with the idea of the wiki becoming more officially associated with BiM in mind

Last edited by Penta (October 21, 2014 (11:38am))

Okay, fine. Delete all my pages, rollback my edits, I honestly don't care. I really enjoy wiki-building, and I was having fun with this project.

Let me make this clear one more time: I double-checked with BoatsAreRockable to make sure the character and location pages were okay before I even thought about adding them.

While most brickfilms might not get over a couple of thousand views, we're not Wikipedia. We're the original content creators, and does nobody else think that it can even be fun to make all of this stuff? Honestly, the way you guys are suggesting running the wiki - a wiki that I have put more effort into than many of you have - is extremely prohibitive.

And since this is the point where it's stopped being fun, I'm through. I'm done with the wiki. I was helping with the more mainstream elements too: working out layouts, spell-checking, expanding the Brickfilmer Directory etc, but I'm not allowed to enjoy doing it?

Sorry to the friends I do have here - you guys are great, and just knowing that you're out there has helped me through some dark times - but I think a lot of others need to remember that brickfilming is still just a hobby, and maybe you should stop taking yourselves so seriously.

I'm kind of on the fence about this. It's hard for me to see a problem with having minor works if the articles are formatted and linked to the pages about the directors, but some kind of "notability" criteria might be a good way to regulate what is and isn't on the wiki in the future.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

First of all I would like to state that I am the wiki’s main admin out of circumstance more than anything. I am not a very active member of this community but love brickfilming and am also very interested in website design. I never really wanted to be someone ‘in charge’.

In the building up of this wiki we have all learnt a lot and made mistakes, heck I thought it was sensible to block a spammer for 2000 years back in the beginning…

I would welcome some more active member’s assistance, such as yourself NathanWells, on helping us structure and fix the currently existing problems with the wiki. Also it would be a shame for you to leave Jampot, you’ve been a great help so far. If it turns out that people end up not wanting the brickfilming canon related stuff on Brikifilms or a suitable arrangement cannot be found. I'm sure an alternative location can be found, even if that's in the form of another wikia.

I think with discussion (there’s some currently in the chat) we can work out fundamentally exactly what is wrong with the wiki and try and fix these issues.

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

POTENTIAL SOLUTION TO DIFFERENCES...
There appear to be two main directions people would like to go in.

1) Information to richen the universes brickfilms are set in with information about the fictional side of brickfilms, such as: story locations, character pages, universe history etc. People would be able to express their creativity and make their brickfilms more full.

2) Factual information about the history of brickfilming itself and important, significant brickfilms and the creators of those brickfilms as well as information about the tools used to create brickfilms. This information allows people to learn more about the brickfilming process.

At the moment Brikifilms tries to talk about both fiction and non-fictional elements and this is rather confusing. After a long discussion I think it would be best if the two subjects were split into 2 wikis.

1) The first wiki would take the existing Brikifilms content and change it about to focus more on the brickfilming canon.

• It would be run by the existing Brikfilms admin team, although more would almost certainly be added.

• It would move to a different URL to highlight its focus more on canon elements. http://brickfilmcanon.wikia.com.

2) The second wiki would start from scratch with a plan to focus on certain notable brickfilms and brickfilmers. It would nicely tie in to the Brickfilm Archival Project.

• It would aim to be headed by Bricks In Motion moderators and eventually respected wiki contributors.

• It would use http://brickfilms.wikia.com as its URL to highlight its focus on brickfilming more generally.

• However, for now editing is limited on this new wiki while guidelines are decided.

The previous Brikifilms wiki will be effectively abandoned. All of its useful content will be moved to the appropriate new wiki and the aim is to eventually close or have it redirect.

Edited URLs to reflect what has actually occurred

Last edited by BoatsAreRockable (December 29, 2014 (05:29am))

Boats Animator
Free stop motion software with 1080p support!
YouTubeBrickfilms WikiBoats Animator

I think this is an excellent solution, and a good way to find a compromise. I will be ready to aid in the transition.

This sounds like a great way to expand and keep everyone happy. I'm glad this discussion has gone as smoothly as it has and I await the new wiki.

That sounds great.