Re: What was the last movie you watched?

The Conjuring
Yes! I finally got to see this! This is an amazing horror film. The acting was mostly good, 2 or 3 of the kids weren't to good, but it is very rare to find good child actors. This is more then I excepted, it is super creepy! I mean, it's rated R just for how scary it is! If your looking for a great horror movie to see this halloween, I highly suggest this one.
9/10

Last edited by Rockydude411 (October 25, 2014 (07:27am))

The Red Shoes
The original, from the 40s. Melodramatic but visually beautiful. Kind of a precursor to Black Swan, as it shows a young girl being completely consumed by her desire to do ballet.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Rockydude411Bricks wrote:

I mean, it's rated R just for how scary it is

http://media.tumblr.com/74fada43b2ecdfa1e4c2a40fe30fc287/tumblr_mlmfuwawXQ1qkx1qwo1_250.gif

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Listen Up Philip
Alex Ross Perry, 2014

A really nice, intimate drama comedy about a writer and his behaviors effect on the people around him.
It's nice to see that not all American indie films are cutesy quirkfests à la Wes Anderson. Not saying there's something wrong with him, his films or his protégés but by this point the style in which so many of them are presented in is becoming tedious and forced.
I'm always a bit skeptical when films of this kind are filmed in some old way - be it black-and-white, silent or what-have-you - with this one being filmed to mimic the cinéma vérité style. Now, I don't think the acting is improvised like this style of filmmaking typically calls out for, but the handheld and close-up-heavy cinematography really did wonders in terms of its intimacy. It felt like a John Cassavetes film but with the dialogue of Woody Allen, and I say that in the best possible way.

The jazzy sound track was also fantastic.

http://i.imgur.com/yNZTlfb.jpg

My old YouTube is since long ago defunct - now even removed.
Here is my new one.

X-Men: First Class

My favorite X-Men film.  It actually made me feel bad for Magneto.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Anchorman 2

This movie was freaakin hilarious!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
A neat little take on the source material, great style and Gary Oldman steals the show!

The Tree of Life
This films cinematography was some of the best I have ever seen. The movie is really slow paced and rather vague in the beginning. It really takes watching it twice to get a full grip on the story. It's a very polarizing movie. People seem to hate it or love it. I for one, think it is worth watching just for all those pretty golden hour shots.

I Am Legend (2007)

It's a very moving film--the cinematography, the acting (mostly coming from Will Smith), and the plot are all excellent. But, there is that controversial ending. I watched the movie with its original ending, and was able to find the alternate ending on YouTube. Really honestly, I can't decide upon which one I prefer. Both are good in their own way. One of them concludes a much-despised turned-around third act. The other is too joyful and too "and they all lived happily ever after, the end". But, the thing is that both have established the magnificent end to an incredible story. However, I wonder if anyone has tried viewing this movie with the mindset of the depicted virus being Ebola instead...

Overall, a great action-packed Will Smith vehicle to watch on Halloween.
9.5/10

Last edited by Mickey (November 8, 2014 (12:17pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Interstellar

Alright, alright, alright. Meisterstück.

YouTube | Twitter 

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h364/sfugity/bimTMIRABbanner_zps0970ba17.png
Currently going for the "Most Inactive" BiM award.

Interstellar

It's kinda like a mix of 2001, Gravity, and Inception and it's beautiful.  It really does science fiction particularly well.
It's delightfully clever, really exciting, really tense, emotional, and over all its execution is remarkably well done.  Possibly one of the best films I've seen.  Easily one of Nolan's better works.  Though it's terribly difficult to talk about the plot without spoiling it.
Go watch it, please.

Interstellar (2014)

Interesting. A very compelling Christopher Nolan movie, where he once again finds new ways to mess with your mind. I'm awed by the groundbreaking ideas, the outstanding acting, and the incredible visuals that it has to offer, even if it didn't quite live up to all my expectations. Still, even though it feels like the movie glossed over a whole hour of the movie, it's good to leave some of the audience's questions unanswered. Nolan hasn't done that since Inception, where he really bent the physics of time and space. And, the film had me predicting some plot twists here and there, but the film proved me to be wrong.

Do not go gentle into that good night.
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

It's the first Nolan movie I've ever seen in a cinema, instead of on home media, and that has made all the difference. Nolan is an incredible up-and-coming mastermind of a contemporary filmmaker, and he's just made another golden legend. This movie isn't soon to be forgotten. I could see how some call it the "2001 of its time". But, I also believe Interstellar has received that title because of the legacy it is about to leave. Interstellar will inspire dozens of sci-fi filmmakers to come, given the fact that this movie is extraordinary, it's moving, and it's Nolan's best offering since The Dark Knight. See it now.

9/10

Last edited by Mickey (November 8, 2014 (12:28pm))

Sounds like Interstellar is the kind of film where the less known about the plot in advance, the better? Should I see it sooner rather than later to avoid having it spoiled?

Jayem wrote:

Sounds like Interstellar is the kind of film where the less known about the plot in advance, the better? Should I see it sooner rather than later to avoid having it spoiled?

Yes, see it as soon as you can, but hurry! We have a prominent contender for the #1 spot at the box office this weekend. Get your tickets before they're all sold out!

It takes a great Chris Nolan movie like Interstellar to make me want to watch The Prestige. I actually haven't seen that yet.

Last edited by Mickey (November 8, 2014 (12:36pm))

Mickey wrote:
Jayem wrote:

Yes, see it as soon as you can, but hurry! We have a prominent contender for the #1 spot at the box office this weekend. Get your tickets before they're all sold out!

It'll probably have to be sometime this week, which is kinda cool because mankind should be landing it's first spacecraft on a comet on Wednesday.

Last edited by Jayem (November 8, 2014 (12:42pm))

The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition
Fixes 90% of the pacing and plot flaws in the TE? Check.
Adds some amazing slower moments and no unnecessary battle scenes? Check.
The only major flaw is one misplaced Wilhelm scream? Check.

Yep, just what I was expecting. A good film, made great, by a bunch of wonderful additions.

Mickey wrote:

Nolan is an incredible up-and-coming mastermind of a contemporary filmmaker

But... Nolan has been making widely-released films for fifteen years...

Squash wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Nolan is an incredible up-and-coming mastermind of a contemporary filmmaker

But... Nolan has been making widely-released films for fifteen years...

Nolan?

"every day I feel more pleased that sigging isn't a thing anymore" - Squash
YOUTUBE | Will voice act, ping me in the discord.
03:52    Smeagol    I should send girls turds in a box
01:28    Smeagol    That signature leaves me wondering if I should be sending more girls more turds in boxes than I presently am

Wait, what is The Dark Knight? Is that a movie? I should try to watch that.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Pritchard Studios wrote:

The Desolation of Smaug Extended Edition
Fixes 90% of the pacing and plot flaws in the TE? Check.
Adds some amazing slower moments and no unnecessary battle scenes? Check.
The only major flaw is one misplaced Wilhelm scream? Check.

Yep, just what I was expecting. A good film, made great, by a bunch of wonderful additions.

So was this more accurate to the book than the original?