Re: Anime Discussion Thread

Sonjira wrote:

Tiger and Bunny.

I have to admit that Bandai sponsors them and made Very good S.H Figuarts of their characters, I MUST BUY THEM! mini/delirium

Legend of Korra is pretty great. Arguably better than The Last Airbender.

Pillow wrote:

Recently rewatched both seasons of Code Geass, which is the best anime series ever along with Death Note.

haha yeah, im just finishing up code geass r2 which has been quite the wild ride, and i would probably re-watch death note but it got taken off netflix instant play not long ago >:(

WEIRD MANGA TIME

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m82xd3Nx7a1qzlozwo1_500.jpg
http://intramuros.es/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/scb01.jpg
http://www.bateszi.me/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/the-thing-that-drifted-ashore-by-junji-ito.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m81lggDSQR1rusb6mo1_500.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4veaqpr8x1qdc388o1_1280.png
http://www.ponpokopon.net/Manga/ultraheaven3.jpg
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly6eanFfhN1rnenm8o1_500.png
http://www.awesome-engine.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/deathcops05.jpg

bricksinmotion member of the year

So at MCM in London last Sunday, I bought two seasons of FMA Brotherhood. Oh my God I love this show so much, Edward Elric is just awesome.
By the way, for the few people here that have ever watched To Aru Majutsu no Index  (which you should by the way, it's awesome, and the spin-off is almost as good) they're making a movie which should be out in Feburary.

http://i.imgur.com/WAr6hHC.png
BRAWL 2013 ENTRY Quack In Time
"Why in the world did you do a weird language if you know English?" - tenny1028

There is a free Anime being made called Project Morevna.

Should I watch any of the following?:
Black Butler
Soul eater
Death Note

I'd like to know which of these programmes are worth my time. They've all been recommended to me at one point in time

Also today I got a button with Baron (from The Cat Returns) on it. Figured that's anime related.

Death note is one of those anime's where the plot gets confusing at the start and end , Soul eater i have to admit there are a bit of weirdness and Black butler i had never head of mini/blankexpression .

Either way the best way to watch these are in subbed form whereas the voice acting i magnificent while dubbed voice acting is very crap.

EDIT: I had finished watching Fruits Basket and started watching Gundam series in the Universal Century , only seeing Char's Counterattack and Gundam Unicorn 1 so i try to get the rest of the series legit. I love Fruits Basket so much it blew my mid of and i was like wow , it kind of made me cry for the most of it

Last edited by Kuwaga (April 26, 2013 (01:18am))

For the last few months I've been watching a fair (read: unhealthy) amount of anime, and I just remembered we had this thread, so I figured I'd drop a few reviews.

Stein's;Gate: The basic premise (a group of oddballs accidentally turn a microwave into a time machine that can send texts into the past) makes the show sound more absurd than it is. It begins slowly and I've seen some complaints that the first few episodes are difficult to follow (personally I don't agree, but it's worth mentioning). Once the main arc starts the setup pays off and it goes from mildly amusing to being an extremely enjoyable show. Don't get me wrong- it definitely isn't without its flaws. Most grating for me would be a very obvious "plot twist" that is dragged on for two or three episodes (it is something of a side plot, so I suppose that makes it slightly more excusable), and some peculiar fanservice... which, while mild by anime standards, was still pointless enough to bother me. The two main characters are extremely well acted and written, but the rest of the cast is mostly one-dimensional (lovable, but shallow nonetheless). The show holds a surprisingly self-consistent system for time-travel until the last few episodes... at which point it kind of throws everything out the window.

When I list all of the things I didn't like about it, it starts to become difficult to understand why I think Stein's;Gate is worth watching at all. In spite of that, I feel compelled to state that it was a thoroughly entertaining show with more than its share of humorous and poignant moments. Is it the pinnacle of animated television? No, no. Nope. Not at all. Still, it had that spark that made it worth watching for me in spite of the numerous problems. Also, the title song is awesome.

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day: Anohana is really one of the more interesting shows I've watched- there's no grandiose save-the-world plot and the animation is simple (though that isn't to say poor- the visuals are exquisite), but the show succeeds in that it focuses on its characters without falling into the typical slice of life trap of becoming a show about nothing. The characters themselves are well written and likable... with a few exceptions. If you're the kind of person who gets emotional about television shows, be forewarned: tears will be shed. Overall, I think this is one of my all-time favorites. It doesn't bite off more than it can chew, the art and music are well done and memorable, and it wraps things up beautifully. I really only have two complaints- the first being that there's a gigantic plot hole that affects the main plot mechanic. I know, I know, "Squash, why are you praising the writing for a show with a huge, gaping plot hole". To the writers' credit, it was addressed briefly and hand-waved away, but ultimately I didn't think the explanation was satisfactory and it does leave a bit of a blemish on an otherwise solid story. The second issue is that despite only being 11 episodes long, there are points where the show felt like it could have been shortened. At no point does the story drag on, but it does begin to repeat itself toward the end. Nothing major, but worth noting, I think. Regardless, a superb series and definitely worth a watch if you don't mind a touch of melodrama.

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki): Ugh. I saw the first episode of Mirai Nikki at a club meeting months ago and wasn't particularly impressed. The visuals were decent, but not fantastic, the main character is irritating, and the Battle Royale/fight-to-the-death plot didn't strike me as particularly compelling.For some reason I decided to try it again a few months later, and a few episodes in I started to understand why the show isn't considered a total waste of time. I'm going to throw in some spoilers for this one.

Spoiler (click to read)

The Yuki/Yuno (who are the two main characters) dynamic was by far the most interesting part of the show. It was twisted enough to create questions about the personalities of both characters, and in the end I think it was the show's greatest redeeming quality. That said, it could have been handled better as the show progressed, and eventually it all unwound until the final episode tried to turn the relationship into a run of the mill love story. And speaking of the finale- what was up with that? It completely changed the tone of the series. It can't be claimed that the series was "realistic" to that point... but it wasn't Dragon Ball. At least it did explain why a 14 year old girl was an unbeatable knife-fighter.

Other writing oddities: Yuki's dad grabs the only parachute and essentially flips his son the bird as he leaves him to die in a collapsing building (and then follows that up by killing the kid's mother). Fortunately he redeems himself in the next episode with a heartfelt "I know I made a few mistakes, son, so I'm gonna do some time and everything'll be A-OK between us" speech. Yup, that's totally enough to make me forget that you murdered your ex-wife and left your son to die. Way to go, dad.

Future Diary is a popcorn show. It's action packed and exciting, with a whole lot of wrongness thrown in for good measure. Unfortunately, if your brain doesn't shut off entirely while you watch television, you're going to be left frustrated by the terrible writing. Also, did I mention that the main character is incredibly annoying? It bears repeating. I can't really recommend this one.

Psycho-Pass: Psycho-Pass follows the same basic formula as Mirai Nikki: episodic antagonists, a futuristic conceit (in Psycho-Pass, this takes the form of the Sibyl System, a large scale computing device that reads neural scans and determines if the person being scanned is a criminal). It differs from Mirai Nikki in that it isn't utterly brain-dead. The show does take the time to examine the philosophical implications of the technology. The characters have more depth than I anticipated at its inception, and they tend to evolve in a way that is believable. Be forewarned that there is a fair amount of shock material- though it was usually in keeping with the themes of the show, there were points where I felt it was overdone.

Anime tropes don't saturate Psycho-Pass, but they are present; small bits of fanservice and frequent cornball references to "destiny" only served to take me out of what was otherwise a well constructed sci-fi universe. While not flawless, Psycho-Pass is an exceptionally well written action/thriller, and certainly worth giving a shot if you like the genre. The first season is for the most part a contained story arc, but they are producing a second season... I'm not sure how I feel about that. I have a sneaking suspicion that the show has peaked, but I'll watch when the next season premiers and hope that I'm wrong.

Serial Experiments Lain: This is going to be a difficult one to write about. I guess the best way to start out is by saying that I have quite a few abandoned scripts that resemble scenes from SEL. The plot is eclectic at best, the main character's personality changes constantly, and characters weave in and out of the narrative with alarming frequency. One episode is half composed of a narrated history of computing and its intersection with conspiracies and hoaxes. Another has a seven minute psychedelic clip show set to a wailing guitar solo. In short, the show does what it wants, and doesn't seem to care if you understand it or not. As you can imagine, this leads to a fairly confusing plot. That said, the main story arc was less interesting to me than the scenes that composed it. For having been created in 1998, SEL was remarkably prescient when it came to examining the influence the internet would grow to have on first world culture (though obviously the internet had been around long enough at that point to give them some indication of the things to come). It tackles themes of loneliness, social isolation, and identity in a way that is surprisingly engaging. Fans of science fiction and cyberpunk will find Easter eggs in almost every scene, and it's clear that the showrunners put a great deal of thought into creating Lain's world. There's also a significant amount of symbolism... though I'm ashamed to admit that I would often fail to recognize a recurring motif until three or four episodes after its introduction. The bottom line for me is that the show was worth watching for its ambition, but is more successful as a series of vignettes than a cohesive series.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_uXn6HeRC8Q/UGJMkZD3BNI/AAAAAAAACt4/wNkWuWOnhf4/s1600/476572-persona_4_the_animation___op2___large_08.jpg

As evident by my forum avatar, I recently got into the Persona line of games--especially loving Persona 4. Love it so much, the continuous milking doesn't bother me. Makes the wait for Persona 5 easier. There's plenty to follow after first beating P4, what with the upcoming P3/P4 crossover game, two fighting games, and a rhythm game (all with a story, all supposedly canonical). Plenty to follow. But I just wanted to experience P4's vanilla story again, without immediately replaying the game itself. Persona 4: The Animation lived up to my expectations, surpassing a few.

http://www.thiseuphoria.com/anime13/persona4-1-0.jpg

This anime adaptation takes the game's story, characters, central themes, etc. and lays them out in an anime, TV show format. While still following the game's intentional repetition. It's like you're going through the game again on New Game+, but you're not really playing. It's pretty meta. The protagonist has a name here, Yu Narukami. He has a voice and a personality. Fully characterized, still as nice and funny as you can be in the game. That characterization is what I enjoyed the most. Manages to encapsulate the heart behind what you do in the game.

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120827150346/megamitensei/images/3/31/Izanagi-no-Okami_in_P4A.jpg

Technically speaking, the Persona/Shadow fights are cool. The rest of the visuals, however, are basic, not too impressive. I wish they could find a way to resemble the game's character portrait art style and still have decent animation. Maybe the other anime they have coming up, based on the Golden version of Persona 4, will be better. Watching the English dub, another gripe I have is that Troy Baker ditched voicing Kanji after a few episodes. Weird.

I had fun with this show. Not really into anime, but it was nice to see classic moments from the game animated. Also nice to see additional subplots. Definitely recommend binge-watching if you've played the game before.

Last edited by Timothy R (June 6, 2014 (09:56am))

Bumpity-bump.

Not too long ago I finished reading Death Note (the Manga)... and I think I've just discovered my new favourite thing.  I've never been into Manga/Anime at all up til this point, but it's just brilliant.  My favourite characters are Ryuk and L (as you may have guessed from my current profile pic), and Light Yagami is my new favourite villain.  It's incredibly well-written; all of the characters are very strong, although Misa Amane is kinda annoying (though I get the feeling she's basically meant to be a parody of the annoying fan-girl).  I did feel that the story did decline somewhat in later volumes, especially after

Spoiler (click to read)

the death of L.  It's only accentuated by the fact that Near is basically a replacement L, with fiddling with his hair and playing toys replacing sitting weirdly and a diet that would induce diabetes in anyone else.

But the finale totally and completely makes up for it, in addition to having basically the greatest epic speech and death scene in the history of epic speeches and death scenes.  It keeps you guessing until the very end.  I also quite like the philosophical aspect and moral ambiguity of it.  L says that "justice will prevail" and the "good guy always wins", yet both Kira and L consider themselves to represent the good side.  The story structure actually reminds me somewhat of Breaking Bad (the characters of Light Yagami and Walter White share quite a few similarities, coming to think of it).

I do have a few issues, though.  There are a few contrived moments and plot holes.  Ryuk mentions that humans who use the Death Note suffer from psychological pain and anguish, but aside from a throwaway remark by Light in the beginning, we never really get the feeling that he is affected much by it.  (Granted, he becomes more and more unhinged and insane as the story goes on, and

Spoiler (click to read)

the eventual fates of everyone who uses the Death Note

also somewhat reflects this, but we never get the feeling he is actually feels doubts or is tortured by it.)  As mentioned before, Near doesn't seem very convincing to begin with (though his characterisation does get a lot better by the end).

Also, I thought Mello was a girl at first (due to his manner of dressing and hairstyle, and the fact that he apparently shaves his armpits...).  In fact, I was rather disappointed to find out he wasn't a girl.  It's a bit disappointing that the only female character with any long-term development is Misa, and she's basically an annoying, shallow, dim-witted fan-girl.  (Yes, there's Naomi Misora, Hal Lidner, Rem, and Takada, but none of them are around for very long so it doesn't really count.)  Not only that, but Light also seems to not like women much because he thinks they're weak and emotional, so it would have been interesting to see a strong/smart female character as a counterpart/foil.  Now, to be clear, I'm not one of those feminists who rants about how women are under-represented in films made in a male-dominated society blah blah blah etc. but it just felt a bit imbalanced to me.

Spoiler (click to read)

I also really don't get why Rem killed L and Watari and sacrificed herself just to save Misa.  I get that she is protective of her and feels something like maternal love for her, but anyone who willingly gives up 3/4 of their entire lifespan just so another person will acknowledge, let alone love, them really does not deserve that sort of sacrifice.  Especially considering that she's not even the first Shinigami to die to save Misa...

Needless to say, I'm rather interested in watching the Anime now, and I'm not sure whether I should go for sub or dub.  Actually, Death Note has gotten me interested Manga/Anime in general.  I'm contemplating looking at Fullmetal Alchemist, Psycho-Pass, maybe Attack on Titan, and Studio Ghibli's and Satoshi Kon's films, but I'm always open for suggestions--does anyone have any recommendations?

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Psycho-Pass is pretty decent if you're not turned off by gratuitous violence.  The second season is just starting. Kon's films are also good choices, though all of the ones I've watched (Perfect Blue, Paprika, and Tokyo Godfathers) have each had some major flaw that kept them from being as brilliant as they could have been. As films go, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children are both great if you like softer stories.

You should defanently watch Satoshi Kon's films, in fact anyone who is interested in film or animation should watch his films, he is one of my favorite directors. You should also watch this video essay about his editing, he was a really incredible film maker and his time came to soon.

Squash wrote:

Psycho-Pass is pretty decent if you're not turned off by gratuitous violence.  The second season is just starting. Kon's films are also good choices, though all of the ones I've watched (Perfect Blue, Paprika, and Tokyo Godfathers) have each had some major flaw that kept them from being as brilliant as they could have been. As films go, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and Wolf Children are both great if you like softer stories.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll be checking them out.  Personally, I don't mind violence if it enhances or adds to the plot (e.g. Breaking Bad does this well), though I do tend to dislike it if there is no reason for it or it's just there for the sake of being there.

SlothPaladin wrote:

You should also watch this video essay about his editing, he was a really incredible film maker and his time came to soon.

Said video essay is actually how I learned about his films to begin with and the reason I intend to watch them, haha.  I'm hoping I'll be able to watch his films within the next few days.

I should probably also watch Studio Ghibli's films, too.  I did see Howl's Moving Castle many years ago, but basically all I remember is that the main character got all upset and started melting after his hair got dyed black, a witch suddenly aging rapidly after being exposed to a bunch of light bulbs, and some kind of flying device (I was about 11 at the time...)

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (October 25, 2014 (02:27pm))

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college

One of my favorite films of Kon is Millennium Actress, but one of my favorite genres is films about film making so I may be a bit biased.

Some other films you may want to consider are:

Tekkon Kinkreet, heavlly influenced by the visual direction of City of God, this a a gritty story about two young brothers who live in the 'Treasure Town' neighborhood. I highly recommend it.

Samurai Champloo is pretty well known and with good reason, I hate a lot of anime soundtracks but this has a great, more stylized and modern approach that is wonderful, I would put it as the same level as Bebop, both overall and as far as great use of soundtracks goes.

As far as Ghibli's films go I really love Castle in the Sky, it's everything I want out of an adventure story.

If you haven't watched a lot of the legendary classics of anime it would be worth checking out, Akira which was first recommended to me by other film nerds who I wouldn't classify as anime nerds, also Ghost in the Shell is very good which even seems to borrow philosophical ideas from the works of Ingmar Bergman and the like and work it into and excellent piece of science fiction. One of the saddest movies ever made and a film I think everyone should watch is Grave of the Fireflies, don't listen to me, listen to Roger Ebert

I really liked Akira when I saw it years ago. Definitely one of the best anime and animations around in a long time. Kiki's Delivery Service is also another personal favourite. I find it far more family friendly than a few others, but thats not a bad thing at all!
Has anyone seen Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises? Its another anime that I have been meaning to watch for awhile now.

I have heard of Akira, in that it's the film that brought Anime and Japanese Cyberpunk to the West (at least, that's what I've heard, I could be wrong).  My experience with Manga/Anime thus far is basically limited to Death Note and the aforementioned viewing of Howl's Moving Castle, so I'm not really familiar with anything else (hence why I've become interested in getting to know it a bit better).  Regarding Ghost in the Shell--should I go for the original film, or the Stand Alone Complex TV series?

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (October 26, 2014 (07:31am))

FlyingMinifig wrote:

I've also heard of Ghost in the Shell--should I go for the original film, or the Stand Alone Complex TV series?

The original film is more dark sci-fi, where SAC is political techno-thriller. Both are good, kind of just depends on what you like. Personally I prefer the film. One thing that bothers me about SAC is that it has a lot of monster-of-the-week episodes, and I prefer overarching plotlines. The film feels a little more focused on the ideas it's trying to convey, and doesn't lose itself so much in the technical aspects of the story. The two series share characters, but they're very different in tone and the characters are only superficially similar.

Hmmmm.... Ive heard a lot about anime before. I draw anime every once in awhile but I've never watched any shows, I guess i'll look into it more!

Moved an have no room to animate, but I do have a Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/84070766@N07/ My friends and I have been composing a Comic Series: http://cosmosquestcomic.com