Topic: Lego The Medieval Election - WIP (49secs with audio/music)

Hey guys,

The last day or too, I have gotten this idea for a Medieval themed story.
The Medieval Election is based on a sacred ruling of the Kingdoms rulers to allow one a certain ruler to have a chance to be elected. These elections happened very rarely, if elected he will obtain his benefits that were mentioned when he was going for election. However rivalery and corruption follow close by.. Bandits form, rivals change, friends turn to enemies.

I'd likely to quickly mention that half of this video suffered some light flicker, now I can say with certainty it wasn't from myself causing the light flicker rather it was a setting that was already formed in my program called (back light compensation) I have no idea why it was checked but it was the serious cause of light flicker.. as you will notice after about half way everything is back to normal. I do apologize for that and will look into making sure its turned off everytime in future!

This was a really fun vid to work on, first time doing a sword sequence, a different walk cycle, and some small masking, with of course dialog, and improved set scenery.

Now I was inclined in thinking this may be better in the released section or production, I was debating over it for some time. I didn't think releases just yet, as it's not a finished film but perhaps a part. Then I said to myself this may be better as a WIP. As its still going and as I mentioned I am learning new things, most notably was the sword sequence/slashing and stabbing.

Also I have made two videos (Both exactly the same) Only one with no blood effect and one with it. I understand some users don't like it, or just think it goes well in lego films which is why I made the first link blood free! mini/smile

I'd love to get any feedback on what I can improve what I could work on, if the walk cycle is better than my original, and just what you guys thought of the whole in general.

I've made the original (without blood effect) Public with annotation for the same vid with the effect if people wish to watch it that way, in a unlisted link. Is this a good idea in your opinions?

I also waited until I had both links uploaded for it to be easier and more accessible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S367FkQH8IM (Noblood effect)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8-wYHrrsg (With Blood effect)

Sincerely,
Divine.

RELEASED! Check out my channel to watch it!
Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Re: Lego The Medieval Election - WIP (49secs with audio/music)

I think the blood-free version is better. The blood in the other version was OK, but it's gross to me, because, after all, these are minifigures we are watching. Plus, blood doesn't just vanish into thin air. It should fall on the floor and form a puddle (I know that sounds extremely graphic, but that's how liquid works). Other that that, it was good. I like how he pulled out the sword, and the horse walking past.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

The animation seemed choppy at the beginning, but got better towards the end. Over all, good job!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

More camera angles needed.  mini/smile

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Hey RioForce,

Thanks for your response, I'm glad at least you liked the version without the blood, I just sometimes feel it needs a bit of blood or something to really create and sell the setting of the clashing, whatever the scenario may be, I do plan on trying to do it in actual camera production next time try and make use of red studs or clay.

Gentrystudios, thank you for the kind words glad you enjoyed it!

Togfox, I totally agree with you man! I will hopefully get more of those angles in the next video! I am confined by limited space, but I will make what I can to get some more angles.

Thank you for your kind words guys, also wanted to know if you guys preferred this walk cycle over my normal walking cycle. Something about it sort of appealed to me.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Check out my Youtube Channel New Vid every week: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5NKN … 7cRn8gsNaw

Lord of the Rings was extremely efective in conveying violence, and was virtually bloodless.

Last edited by HoldingOurOwn (October 26, 2014 (10:51am))

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

To add to what HoldingOurOwn said, a good sound effect can convey the violence or mood, so can certain camera angles, and lighting. Or a combination of all three. Blood isn't necessary, but whatever suits you, I suppose. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

at risk of derailing the thread, the use of blood or not is an artistic decision.  you'll find some that enjoy doing it, some that don't.  some that like to watch it and some that don't. your call.  mini/smile

Aka Fox

HOO thats a really good point, Lord of the rings was also one of my favorite triolgies. I'll deffs keep that in mind,

Rioforce, you make an effective point as well. When done right I do believe sound effects and camera angles and the lighting have a huge effect on the mood of the violence!

As Togfox mentions blood use is really more of a preference and artistic decision. For me, I like the use of it, but my viewers are also very important to that aspect, and I really try to take as much feedback and provide viewers what suits them best. But as I understand some prefer it and some don't.

So what I intend to do in my next vid/future vids. Is leave the original video without any use of blood, and give a secondary option to watch the same vid with blood as I did with this one, only the one with blood would be unlisted. This way we can have best of both worlds.

But thank you for your understanding, of my preference however as I said you guys give me the feedback, tips, and motivation, I'd like to show you my support as well.

Thanks guys!

(PS How do you guys feel about the use of playdoh/clay as blood)

Sincerely,
Divine.

Last edited by Divine (October 26, 2014 (07:01pm))

I've written this response three times as I don't want to unduly influence your products.  After saying it's your call, I'll go right on to say I don't like any blood at all, but I do prefer clay/doh over CGI.  mini/lol   I'm squimish.  mini/confused

Getting a bit philosophical here, but Hollywood movies have blood for realism and believeability.  I think for brick films, that boat has well and truely sailed!

As an artist, you need to decide if this is something you want to do.  Perhaps just the once.  Perhaps all the time.  Perhaps only when the story calls for it.  Perhaps you like playing with CGI and it's something you want to do because you like it and you want to.

Have you seen the opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan"?  On the beach?  That was way over the top yet it served it's purpose and the movie is a mega-seller.  If Speilburg listened to people like me then that movie wouldn't be the way it is.  mini/wink

Aka Fox

Haha its alright Togfox, your not in any want undermining my influence don't worry if anything, you are fueling it with tips and feedback mini/smile

togfox wrote:

I'll go right on to say I don't like any blood at all, but I do prefer clay/doh over CGI.

Thank you for you're honesty. Thats good to know you appreciate clay/doh over CGI at the least. Which is great!

Togfox wrote:

As an artist, you need to decide if this is something you want to do. Perhaps just the once.  Perhaps all the time.  Perhaps only when the story calls for it.  Perhaps you like playing with CGI and it's something you want to do because you like it and you want to.

This is a really good point here, as you said really figuring out when to make use of it, if your going to make any use of it at all. For me truthfully, I like the use of getting practical with CGI when I can, but that being said I only like to use it when its really needed. But as I mentioned the viewers perspective is very important to me, I like to fullfill what they'd like to see and what they wouldn't. As said some enjoy it some don't. So having the option of a second choice with an unlisted video could be a possiblity, or just less use of CGI as blood. As RioForce made some good points earlier as well, when he mentioned the blood spill didn't drop and it doesn't just vanish are really good points to remember, and can take away that realism.

Togfox wrote:

Have you seen the opening scene in "Saving Private Ryan"?  On the beach?  That was way over the top yet it served it's purpose and the movie is a mega-seller.

Yes I do remember seeing it, I actually just took a rewatch, and here was one of the comments; As horrific as this scene is, it was 1,000 times worse in real life. And that is not an exaggeration. Which makes a very good point here, where sometimes the blood use is preciseness to an extent, or depending on the content or mood of the scene.

togfox wrote:

If Speilburg listened to people like me then that movie wouldn't be the way it is. mini/wink

Haha mini/smile I wonder how it would be if it was done your way mini/wink

Anyhow thank you for your response I appreciate you taking your time to right some great factors, know that I will be taking all this into consideration as I do my next brickfilm. Your feedbacks, are very important.

Sincerely,
Divine.

Divine wrote:

Haha mini/smile I wonder how it would be if it was done your way mini/wink

They'd be hiding behind rocks dodging NERF bullets.  Every now and then some random trooper would get struck in the head by a suction cap NERF bomb.  mini/lol

Aka Fox

Ahahaha mini/lol Brilliant beyond relief, I'm laughing terribly hard right now mini/bigsmile I'm actually trying to picture this instead of the bloodshed in Saving Private Ryan. It'd be quite the act I must say..

Sincerely,
Divine.

togfox wrote:

I've written this response three times as I don't want to unduly influence your products.  After saying it's your call, I'll go right on to say I don't like any blood at all, but I do prefer clay/doh over CGI.  mini/lol   I'm squimish.  mini/confused

Togfox, so am I.  And there's a real medical name for it: vasovagal syncope.  And it's as involuntarily a response (ie. uncontrollable) as is a person suffering from a mild from of shock whenever one is wounded.  (any time a person is hurt, even from a small cut, the body goes into some form of shock)

To get on topic, if there is bloodiness, I'd prefer play-doh, plasticine, etc.

Another movie to watch for a study on being more dramatic without being explicit is the original Phycho (the only one worth watching).  The famous shower scene, which showed no actual violence explicitly, so many who viewed this black & white scene in the theatre "remembered" seeing it in color, the imagery was so vivid!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

holdingourown wrote:

vasovagal syncope.  And it's as involuntarily a response (ie. uncontrollable) as is a person suffering from a mild from of shock whenever one is wounded.  (any time a person is hurt, even from a small cut, the body goes into some form of shock)

Wow man its actually a real thing? Sorry if I caused any discomfort to you's! It was definetly not my intention. Of course, I will always from now most essentally use the original film (No blood) and have a secondary link(Option) for a unlisted link of same vid with the option of VFX, its really the choice of the viewers, but by default I think having it with nothing is best representation, at the least there will be use of play-doh but thats about it.

holdingourown wrote:

To get on topic, if there is bloodiness, I'd prefer play-doh, plasticine, etc.

Thank you for letting me know, this really does help make decisions a lot easier, your feedback does matter mini/smile

holdingourown wrote:

Another movie to watch for a study on being more dramatic without being explicit is the original Phycho (the only one worth watching).  The famous shower scene, which showed no actual violence explicitly, so many who viewed this black & white scene in the theatre "remembered" seeing it in color, the imagery was so vivid!

I have seen the trailer to psycho! The actor seems to be an amazing fit for the role! I haven't seen the movie, I'll have to watch it some time to understand the famous scene thanks for that!

Appreciate your response and feedback!

Sincerely,
Divine.