Re: OSCARS 2015

Another interesting article about the nominations. I agree.

I'm somewhat disappointed that Interstellar didn't get much recognition, as it's one of the best films I've ever seen, but I suppose it's not that surprising given the genre, and the fact that it's not based on an inspirational true story. The Lego Movie snub is ridiculous though.

topitmunkeydog wrote:

best picture grand budapest holy crap holy crap on a stick make it happen

animated: IM PSYCHED THAT BH6 AND HTTYD2 WERE NOMINATED i loved those so much i cry ;-; nd im fricking glad the lego movie wasnt nominated these 2 are so good

i really want to see the other ones like song of the sea because i heard that it is really good and it would be very nice for a non-huge studio to win

also i hope interstellar wins something for sound because the sound mixing was so good

i did not like the lego movie whatsoever, i thought it was very trite and indulgent

*swings his gaze toward a furious community-turned-angry mob*

Hmm...yeah, you may wanna run now.

Anyways, I watched the Golden Globes last Sunday, and if the Oscars are just gonna be a direct repeat of that awards show, just like it usually is, then we're in trouble. Imitation Game got no wins, and its the only Best Picture nominee that I'm really actually going for. I didn't see any of the other nominees, but I might end up going to see Selma this weekend.

And, I've gotta agree with all of you guys. But, I can also understand where Jstudios is coming from. Oscar-snubbing is nothing new. The concept of a bunch of stuck-up, overpaid actors and actresses shunning quality films and worshiping art house garbage has been occurring for awhile.

Frozen's two Oscar wins last year could be one of the most outrageous examples of Oscar over-hype that come to mind. It's almost like a mini-The Interview, without the North Korean censorship, where a spiteful group of people is all it takes to pump so much unnecessary attention and hype into something mediocre.

However, I will be watching the telecast. Because I'm backwards like that.

Last edited by Mickey (January 16, 2015 (01:12pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Frozen's two Oscar wins last year could be one of the most outrageous examples of Oscar over-hype that come to mind. It's almost like a mini-The Interview, without the North Korean censorship, where a spiteful group of people is all it takes to pump so much unnecessary attention and hype into something mediocre.

Eh. As much as I'm a big Disney uber-geek, even I have to say this.
Frozen, while very enjoyable and does have a few interesting aspects, it still felt like the average Disney formula that works.  It did deserve a nomination, but I felt like it should not have won the Best Animated Feature Oscar.
The Wind Rises honestly should have won. Granted, this is Miyazaki's final film, but this isn't why it was a true winner.
There are things that we have still yet to see, emotions untouched and boundaries that still need to be pushed further beyond the animator's pencil & paper. The Wind Rises makes that push, whereas Frozen, while it does take some risks, still plays it safe and sticks to what works.

On a side note, I'm saddened by the recent news of The Lego Movie not being nominated.
Perhaps this will help bring an about face to things Oscar-wise. It might not happen now, but maybe someday.

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

I wouldn't go round spitting fire and brimstone because it's really just the Oscars being a bit bloody daft as per usual. The Lego Movie was technically exceptional - it 100% deserves a nomination, but honestly I think this community heavily inflates the merits of the film.

It's good to see Birdman up for so many awards though.

I wonder what Spike Lee said about Selma...

Max Butcher wrote:

*inserts 2 cents into comment-machine, steps into booth, sits down on stool, adjusts appearence, clears throat*

The Academy has about seven thousand members. The average age of these members is over 50, and every member has some sort of tie to the film industry. At the end of the day, the Oscar's are just a collection of opinions. They are societies elite being giving a yay or nay on a narrow set of middlebrow features.

I think it's actually detrimental to win an Oscar. I haven't heard anyone say anything about The Artist or Argo since they won. Anyone (other than real experts) heard of Ordinary People? Out Of Africa? Tom Jones? Rebecca? Winners of golden statuettes to grow dust on a shelf - not winners of the test of time.

Considering I've heard of all of those (except Ordinary People and admittedly because they're all adaptations of classic novels), and Argo is one of my favorite movies, I'd beg to disagree. While I'll agree that the Academy makes choices that are controversial, why do people care so much about the Oscars if they're so disappointed every single year?
And how about other Oscar winning films like Return of the King, the first two Godfather films, Gone with the Wind, and Lawrence of Arabia?

I'm more excited that Gone Girl didn't get nominated for Best Soundtrack and hoping that Alexander Desplat's double nomination for Imitation Game and Grand Budapest Hotel won't hurt his chances to get an Oscar to care about the Lego Movie getting snubbed (although if Zimmer wins for Interstellar, I'd be alright with that too. It's his best score in a while).

Mickey wrote:

The concept of a bunch of stuck-up, overpaid actors and actresses shunning quality films and worshiping art house garbage has been occurring for awhile.

I guess the definition of art-house is debatable, but I don't personally think the Academy has a history of rewarding art-house films. If anything, their choices usually seem pretty mainstream and vanilla, though I do agree that there are certain types of film that tend to do better than others. What specific films are you thinking of?

For those lamenting the Lego Movie's Oscar snub, a recent issue of Entertainment Weekly on its back page at least acknowledged it and paid tribute to TLM in the above line and a picture of Emmet (with a few other chars who also had the honor of being passed over.)  It was the issue with the Oscar on it, about a week or so ago.  Just something of Lego interest I wanted to pass on.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Maybe you should have posted this in the OSCARS 2015 thread instead of making a new topic for it.

http://www.bricksinmotion.com/forums/to … cars-2015/

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Merging. End of line.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein