Topic: Animator of the Week: Ben Young (Sonjira) (Jan 26, 2015)

http://i.imgur.com/Y5T35ZD.png

This featured brickfilmer post is part of a series of articles highlighting animators who supported the Bricks in Motion Documentary project on Kickstarter.

Ben Young, known on BiM as Sonjira, is a 17 year old animator whose began making brickfilms in the summer of 2011. Having drawn inspiration from Robinson Wood, Captain Bulldog, and Doug Vandegrift, he decided to get into the hobby after deciding that "it couldn't be THAT hard."

His first film that he got a lot of response for was BIRDFaCE, which inspired him to pursue the hobby more seriously. His latest project, A Fresh Start'N, has been celebrated by the community for its absurd humor, which drew inspiration from local advertising for grocery chains and other stores. It's an especially impressive project considering he made it for the BricksInMotion Twenty-four Hour Animation Contest.

Another recent project for Young was his largest film, BIRDFaCE Origins, which has met with polarized opinions on the BricksInMotion forum for its unique style. One of his biggest takeaways from the project was the process of casting local voice actors:

"I put together the largest cast of any of my films, with a large amount of being people who I knew from school. I'd meet up with them with my microphone and get to play director, telling them exactly how to deliver their lines. As one may imagine, it's a lot easier to do that in person than over email. I also got them involved in the scripting and editing of the piece. I know a lot of people in the brickfilming community tend to shy away from getting people near to them involved in their process, but I think they should really give it a try. It makes it all a whole lot more enjoyable, having people near you to bounce things off of."

Collaboration and working with people in person is certainly something that can benefit a brickfilm, and something that would be good to see more of in this community! Ben drew on his experiences in his school's journalism program, The Sycamore Leaf: "Naturally, being in a large group like that, you kind of get forced to collaborate with others on your project, in more ways than just getting voices from some guy 4,205 miles away in Sweden."

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: Animator of the Week: Ben Young (Sonjira) (Jan 26, 2015)

As soon as I saw BIRDFaCE, I decided that I must get Sonjira to voice a narrator in one of my films, or maybe as many films as possible, which is why I've become so fond of using narration the past few years.

I once had the pleasure of reciting BIRDFaCE word for word to its creator in person.

Squid wrote:

I once had the pleasure of reciting BIRDFaCE word for word to its creator in person.

we all only wish we could be so lucky

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Sonjira has an incredibly unique style, in my opinion.

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Ben is one of the most inspiring young members on these forums currently. His sense of humor always brings me back to his newer films for more.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Thanks everybody! I feel so loved! <3

I want to hand a thank you to Smeagol for featuring me as the AotW. It's a cool honor, and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

https://i.imgur.com/gGaR9Oz.png
Youtube @TheRealSonjira I consider it a personal defeat if my pee is not perfectly clear every time.]

A Fresh Start'N is my favorite THACXII film. There was the perfect amount of pause between each joke delivery and the next scene.

Sméagol wrote:
Squid wrote:

we all only wish we could be so lucky

Well worth the nine hour trip there and the nine hour trip back home.

Well done Sonjira. You are very good at animation,.. and comedy for that matter!

Pfft, who's this guy?

Good job, Sonjira. You definitely deserve this honorable honor.]