Topic: Brickfilmer on Jimmy Kimmel

Who would have thought that a fun hobby would make it this far?

Link to segment.

Link to Morgan's channel

"Tell stories that matter to you, not stories that'll sell." - Stephen Tobolowsky

YouTube/Twitter/SG

Re: Brickfilmer on Jimmy Kimmel

That's cool, good on Morgan! I'd not seen his films before, but they're pretty decent. Thanks for sharing

Wow, that's actually really cool! Just goes to show how much the hobby has grown.

While positive exposure for the hobby is always nice, I hope it won't come across as bitter if I say that I think it's pretty weird how much publicity Morgan has gotten for his videos over the past few months considering the low production value and attention to detail of these recreations. I wonder if this is luck, or a really good publicist at work.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

I'm generally inclined to feel the same way as Smeagol; there are so many brickfilmers who are, frankly, more deserving of attention. However, this sort of thing seems to happen pretty frequently; the general populace tends to be impressed with even relatively mediocre brickfilms, so if one gets attention, it spreads. I've seen more brickfilms with terrible animation and over 100,000 views on YouTube than quality films with 10,000 views. I mean, the only video I've made that's gotten a huge amount of views is a piece of garbage I made before I knew how stop-motion works. I've sort of fallen into the view that this is a reality of the world: sometimes attention isn't always given to those that deserve it. Still, I think the public impressions of brickfilming are improving.

It really is about building networks.  Those with larger networks and connections to social media will always get the most views.  Good quality is not necessary - average quality will suffice to stop the average joe hitting unsubscribe.

Aka Fox
Youtube: My channel   Twitter: @animationantics
Best brick films: My selection

Pretty positive Morgan Spence made a music video for Paul Oakenfield a few years back, and got mentioned on the radio. This would obviously raise his publicity levels, but I dare say I do have to agree with Smeagol!

I think it's pretty cool when brickfilms are becoming more popular, although this probably wouldn't be the best example of it, however, it's not terrible.

I think the reason it has become popular is simply because he's been recreating movie scenes, thus building off of the popularity of pre-existing material.  I think someone on this site before remarked that people often would rather see something they've already seen before, which may be the case here.

A much better example would perhaps have been Brotherhood or ForlornCreature.  Both of whom make stuff based off of pre-existing material, but Brotherhood makes some clever jokes, and Forlorn makes interesting stories about Minecraft.  Plus they both keep pretty high production values (particularly the latter).

I'm sorry but honestly the kid doesn't deserve the amount of attention it's just plain obvious. I'm not being mean, I'm being fair. Same goes to filmmakers. What if Transformers: Age of Extinction won an Oscar? Would the people be happy? I doubt it. Same here. Morgan's videos are average at best and it's a shame a lot of people were overlooked. So congrats to Morgan and what a shame more talented folks didn't get the attention on national TV **cough** Brotherhood or somebody else as talented **cough**

Morgan is the equivalent of a Sci-Fi channel original movie writer.  There are so many talented writers just trying to break into TV, and yet people who have written Sci-Fi original movies get on TV!

But when I saw John D Thunder's well-made BRAWL entry on national TV, that was a great moment!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

I must agree with Smeag and Larry. I had wanted to say something along those lines, but I didn't want to be the first one to come out and be the first one to test those waters. I know Hazzat's already gotten recognition for his works, by having his brickfilms broadcast on British television, and at film festivals, but I quite liked his Movie Moments much more than Morgan's stuff. I'm happy to see him getting recognized on Jimmy Kimmel, and it's cool that we're both the same age. But, some of those video comments seriously make me want to throw something.

The sad thing is that these people are so impressed with the average quality, they could probably be impressed with just about anything. If a two-year-old drew a dot on a piece of paper with a colored pencil, they'd be tripping over each other to shower the toddler with praise.[/accusations, criticism, rants]

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Welp, if it makes people go and watch Morgan's videos then hopefully they'll also find out about Brickfilming as a whole - and maybe they'll discover works like The Magic Portal and Unrenewable.

For some reason I can't help but be happy for the guy. (I actually feel really bad that I used to constantly bash Forrestfire101 years ago...)

YouTube
Max, She/They

I guess the "it'll increase awareness of our hobby!" defense holds no water for me. I think people who are aware of YouTube are generally aware of LEGO movies at this point. So at this point it just feels more like a celebration of mediocrity to me. I say this holding no rancor or bitterness toward Morgan, who seems like a nice guy. If I were in his position, of course I'd ride the wave of publicity. Good for him.

There's definitely better brickfilmers. And then there's worse brickfilmers. Way worse brickfilmers.

I wouldn't really complain. Maybe instead some 10-year-old recreated a film scene in 5 FPS with half of the stuff in the scene looking out of place or crappily constructed and would've been famed for it. That would be way worse.

signature

Eh, sure he's received a level of attention disproportionate to the quality of his work, but such is life. I think in this case it simply comes down the the fact that Morgan's work appeals to the general public (and with a show like Jimmy Fallon's they're going to feature stuff that appeals to as broader audience as possible). People like classic films, people like Lego and people like cute Scottish kids, so Morgan's a winner. Yes there are many animators who definitely deserve much greater recognition than they get, but that doesn't mean Morgan shouldn't have gotten this feature.

I think it's important to avoid an 'us and them' attitude between 'proper' brickfilmers and other Lego animators on Youtube like Forestfire or Morgan. In the end, we're all doing the same thing albeit at different ages and skill levels and while it can be frustrating to see some people get recognition while others don't (*I know that feel), bitterness to those who are more successful doesn't achieve anything.

apologies if that came across a tad preachy

*when I was in school, one assembly a teacher showed us a brickfilm made by someone in the school, some low fps star wars thing. I never found out who the kid was that made it but he was my sworn nemesis as everyone had seen his film but none of mine (that I thought were totally better)

CheesyBricks wrote:

I think it's important to avoid an 'us and them' attitude between 'proper' brickfilmers and other Lego animators on Youtube like Forestfire or Morgan.

I agree with this. I think this community gets a rep for being elitist sometimes and I'm trying not to contribute to that with my words in this thread. But I felt obliged to mention that I have a negative opinion of this sort of attention for the hobby rather than a positive one, simply because I do think it is sort of a damaging/marginalizing way of presenting the hobby to the public.

WoutStopmotion wrote:

I wouldn't really complain. Maybe instead some 10-year-old recreated a film scene in 5 FPS with half of the stuff in the scene looking out of place or crappily constructed and would've been famed for it. That would be way worse.

The worst part is those generally get a lot of exposure since the tags are relevant and/or people love to hate on films like that. Any sort of recreation of a movie scene/tv show/video game/other media in a medium of animation gets a tad more exposure than everything else.

Anyways, on topic, I've never seen any of Morgan's films, but at first glance they seem decent. Whenever brickfilmers/brickfilming as a hobby in general get noticed to a wider group of people, it's (most always) good.

As mentioned before, it's pretty clear the popularity/mention on the show is due to the fact Morgan recreated famous movie scenes--it seems that in this case Brickfilming is being thought of as merely something to recreate existing material in a "cute" or whimsical manner, rather than its own artistic medium as capable of carrying its own unique and well-made stories as live-action or other forms of animation.  As everyone on this website knows, basing something off a pre-existing IP is a sure-fire guarantee to gain more views and popularity (see: every Licensed Brickfilm debate ever). 

This approach also lends itself well to internet culture in general, I think, as something like "movie moments in LEGO" will grab attention, and it is easily liked and shared.  Sadly the prevalent popular attitude seems towards Brickfilming seems to be "hey look, this guy recreated famous movie scenes using legos" rather than "this person invested an insane amount of time writing a script, recording voices, building sets, then painstakingly animating every single frame of this film, all to tell his own original and unique story".  Even Michael Hickox seems to make Brickfilms based largely off what a non-LEGO fan's perception of LEGO is: simple, nostalgic and child-like, rather than a medium that can be used to tell a much wider variety of story. Though I suppose this could be said of film-making in general, given that "let's plays", vlogs, and memes dominate the web in terms of popularity whilst amazingly well-made short films such as this [note: does contain a bit of language] have nowhere near that amount of recognition.

With all this being said, even if Morgan may not be deserving of all this publicity compared to other Brickfilmers, he's far from being the worst one to gain this sort of recognition *cough*acertainStarWarsteasertrailer*cough*.  And it's nice to see a Brickfilmer not named Forrestfire or Keshen get popular (not that I'm trying to disparage them, but it's good to see some variety).  Hopefully at least it'll encourage Morgan to improve his Brickfilming skills, and make some truly amazing works.  Who knows, it might even make some people discover Brickfilming as a whole, and they might eventually become accomplished Brickfilmers as well.

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Mr Vertigo wrote:

As mentioned before, it's pretty clear the popularity/mention on the show is due to the fact Morgan recreated famous movie scenes--it seems that in this case Brickfilming is being thought of as merely something to recreate existing material in a "cute" or whimsical manner, rather than its own artistic medium as capable of carrying its own unique and well-made stories as live-action or other forms of animation.  As everyone on this website knows, basing something off a pre-existing IP is a sure-fire guarantee to gain more views and popularity (see: every Licensed Brickfilm debate ever). 

This approach also lends itself well to internet culture in general, I think, as something like "movie moments in LEGO" will grab attention, and it is easily liked and shared.  Sadly the prevalent popular attitude seems towards Brickfilming seems to be "hey look, this guy recreated famous movie scenes using legos" rather than "this person invested an insane amount of time writing a script, recording voices, building sets, then painstakingly animating every single frame of this film, all to tell his own original and unique story".  Even Michael Hickox seems to make Brickfilms based largely off what a non-LEGO fan's perception of LEGO is: simple, nostalgic and child-like, rather than a medium that can be used to tell a much wider variety of story. Though I suppose this could be said of film-making in general, given that "let's plays", vlogs, and memes dominate the web in terms of popularity whilst amazingly well-made short films such as this [note: does contain a bit of language] have nowhere near that amount of recognition.

With all this being said, even if Morgan may not be deserving of all this publicity compared to other Brickfilmers, he's far from being the worst one to gain this sort of recognition *cough*acertainStarWarsteasertrailer*cough*.  And it's nice to see a Brickfilmer not named Forrestfire or Keshen get popular (not that I'm trying to disparage them, but it's good to see some variety).  Hopefully at least it'll encourage Morgan to improve his Brickfilming skills, and make some truly amazing works.  Who knows, it might even make some people discover Brickfilming as a whole, and they might eventually become accomplished Brickfilmers as well.

A lovely insight, my friend.