Topic: How To: Making a Trailer

So, yeah, I have made trailers, but I'm not good at making them. I made one for one of my 7 minute shorts, and it was a breeze. On the other hand, my film Incapable, my co director had the task of making the trailer for it, so I'm not accustomed to making trailers for films longer than 8 mins. I've watched Film Riot's somewhat newer episode on how to make one, but it didn't help me much. What are some of your guys' thoughts/tips on making one? Should I render the film out and just splice it up in a new sequence, and render again? Thanks!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Re: How To: Making a Trailer

Yeah that Film Riot video was really underwhelming.

I think the important thing is to figure out what your film is about -- what the thesis of it is -- and try to present in a concise presentation of what that is, but without including a proper conclusion to the idea, so that people will want to see the film to piece it together.

I sometimes find it helpful to edit trailers to music in order to get a feel for how the edits should flow; for instance, the BiM doc teaser trailer was edited over some temp music. I then composed new music that had a similar structure and feel to the temp music.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

The Hollywood formula:

Cram all the exciting parts into 30 seconds' to 2 minutes' time, and leave out the boring rest of the movie.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Whenever I think of good trailer, I always immediatly think of Alien.  It does a great job of building suspense, better than some entire movies. 

Another trailer I like is the trailer for Nightcrawler.  This trailer reveals some plot points, but just enough to make you want to watch the movie and fill in the gaps.

The worst trailer(s) I can think of are those for the Amazing Spider-Man 2.  After watching the first trailer, I kind of wanted to see the movie, but after the next couple, I realized that I had seen the entire movie.

I don't know what your movie is about, so I don't know if these are good examples for it or not, but they are good for future reference

To make a good trailer, you should really do the same as you would for anything else: study the greats, figure out what makes them great, then apply the same to your own work.  Essentially, you have to convey enough to get the audience excited, without revealing too much.  Also, a trailer should have a proper structure, and in a way be like a mini-movie.  A lot of film-makers apparently tend to treat a trailer as a quick montage of all the best shots in their film plus a title sequence, which is a pretty counter-productive attitude.

This topic as been something I've been interested in myself lately; as you might be aware, recently I made a trailer for my upcoming Brickfilm.  A particular influence for this was the trailer for Inherent Vice.  (This trailer also motivated me to actually go see the movie in the cinema, so as far as I'm concerned it did what it was supposed to do, make me go watch the movie).  I really liked how it was edited and almost seemed to tell its own story.  Another issue is having enough material to build  convincing trailer.  I had animated only a few scenes when I made my own trailer (in fact, I ended up having to animate a little bit extra to properly complete it), so the final result ended up being slightly awkward and stilted, instead of being as smooth and flowing as I'd have liked.

It's also important to capture the feel of the movie in the trailer.  Do you want to make your audience feel happy?  Sad?  Frightened?  If you can do this effectively people will be interested in seeing your film.  Bottom line, you have to tease the movie enough and get the audience excited to see the actual film.

Last edited by Mr Vertigo (April 15, 2015 (03:27am))

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Wow, all this information! Thanks guys. I do have a question, on the technical side. Would you guys suggest importing the complete film render, then render out that trailer footage twice? Or would it work to copy and paste the footage I want into a new sequence in the same premiere project?

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Gentry, what I do is plan the cuts I put in the trailer and render those sections, but that's only because I omit the laugh track for the trailer.  (I'm just about to make one now.)  Then I reassemble them.  I think it's handy to take the final render and re-edit it (with the same a/v settings.)

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."