Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Selma:
I was wondering what all the Oscar controversy was about, and then I finally saw Selma and understood. Selma was a really good film, and one of the better historical films in the past few years (speaking as a fan of Argo and Lincoln). I really liked how MLK was portrayed not just as a larger than life heroic "I have a dream" figure, but as a man who has failings and worries, without losing the qualities we value in him. The emphasis on the Civil Rights movement being led by clergy was another thing I liked in the film, as that's something that I hadn't really realized.

One minor issue I had was that the amount of slow motion in this film was a little ridiculous.

One Easter weekend. One boy. Three terrible movies.

Furry Vengeance (2010)

Brendan Fraser packs up his wife and "city boy" son and plants them in a housing development that he's overseeing. The only thing is that the master-planned community is being built on a government-owned forest. And the animals aren't happy about that. In this highly offensive and ridiculously stereotypical [so-called] comedy film, Fraser goes mad trying to match wits with the critters, much to his boss' dismay.

I remember the previews for this movie. I remember seeing it in cinemas. But, one thing I didn't remember was how awful it really was. That one guy who seems to be in everything nowadays plays a character who shouts random noise at people for no reason, trying to sound like he's from Thailand or the Phillipines, or something. Fraser has a right-hand man, who's Hispanic, who emerges from the bushes as if he was doing landscaping or something. An elderly lady is usually seen in the movie repeating a muttered phrase about pinecones and Bessie the Cow. It's all really weird, and could come across as offensive.

The film has a lot of naughty moments, and references that will go over kids' heads, including a Cypress Hill song at the end! I mean, really?! The randomness in the movie is supposed to be comical, and sometimes charming. But, the whole movie is pretty unsettling, and unbelievably dumb. It's not the worst movie I've ever seen, because it's not meant to be bad--at least, I don't think. But, it is pretty bad.

2/10

Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004)

Since we're all brickfilmers here, everyone probably already knows how it feels to step on a LEGO brick. Well, let's say you had about five LEGO bricks stuck in your shoes, and you weren't allowed to take them off--maybe you were at church, or something. That's the same feeling you get when you watch this movie.

In the sequel that makes its predecessor look like a masterpiece, Frankie Muniz returns in the titular role as a boy who must defeat his evil camp counselor and a discount Ben Kingsley from implanting a fake dental filling into the mouths of the world's leaders, thus using mind control to take over the world. Whew. And I thought the storylines of an ordinary spy film were ridiculous.

The movie is so annoying, and a lot of times it just doesn't make sense. It's scenes are pointless, the cinematography is poor, and the CGI is atrocious. It's painful to look at, uncomfortable to sit through, and overall a terrible sequel to a terrible movie.

And to think that this is the kinda crap that I grew up with.

1/10

Ladder 49 (2004)

In this drama from the director of My Dog Skip, Joaquin Phoenix is a rookie fireman who learns a lot about firefighting along the way, especially from the help of John Travolta, the chief firefighter of Engine Co. 33.

With too simple a story, corny acting, an overabundance of cliches, and a manipulative film overall, the end of the movie leaves you wondering what Larry King was thinking when he called the film "terrific".

5.5/10

And to think I could have been watching a quality movie, like something from the Fast and Furious series...[/foreshadowing]

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Gravity
Watch it yourself. The zero gravity looks so cool.

Two other films (not movies), both of which are companions with gravity.
Aningaaq
I am a person who watches the bonus features, behind the scenes, etc.
Aningaaq is a short film directed by the same ones who directed Gravity. Just like Gravity, the film takes place in a very remote area, Greenland. Aningaaq, the main character, interacts with a woman supposedly named MayDay. He, does not speak English but has a fun conversation with her. I recommend whoever liked Gravity to watch it.

Collision Point: The Race to Clean Up Space
When I watched Gravity I had a question in the back of my mind, "won't the debris someday go out of orbit and crash onto earth"? Well, Collision Point was a documentary informing and spreading awareness about floating satellite pieces orbiting the Earth. It used clips from Gravity and made the thriller look like an educational film.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

So my parents though this would be a good historical lesson for our whole family; but apparently we did not take into account the fact that the same guy who directed Man of Steel directed this film as well..........bad decision. And thus we were treated to 2 hours of mass color correction, fake blood effects, bazaar creatures, zero character development, completely unrealistic battle scenes and a story that took great liberties on the original historical events. Way to go Zack Snyder. If you want a more realistic historical depiction of the great wars of the past go watch the Lord of the Rings.

3/10

Last edited by Galactic Films (April 11, 2015 (03:59pm))

Galactic Films wrote:

3/10

I know opinions are opinions... but watching a movie expecting it to be realistic and to be historically accurate doesn't make much sense, especially with a movie taken from a comic book.

Not to mention that 300 is supposed to be a mythic interpretation of the battle, not historical.

Biggest disappointment since I watched Thor hoping for an accurate account of the Norse people's military history.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Come on, you guys. It could be worse. You could be forced to watch Honey Boo Boo in your American Cultures class.

Oh wait, that actually would be a thoroughly accurate representation of present-day America. Never mind!

Cinderella

I liked it!  Although the first act does drag on for a little bit too long.
Also, if you sit through the credits, some of the songs from the old film play but sung by members of the new cast.

Birdman or (the unexpected ignorance that "or" should have been inside the parentheses)

There was so much drumming that I got a headache watching this film.  The drumming was also sometimes so loud compared to the dialogue that I could barely make out what people were supposed to be saying at times.

I liked Birdman. Although, I thought it didn't deserve Best Picture 100%, it still was solid. The drumming did get a bit annoying at times, yes. I loved all of the one-take shots!

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

I do admit, that long shot was really impressive.  Although, it felt like it was there more because they wanted to show off, rather than stepping back and asking if they really should.  And that drumming really did make things feel tense in a few scenes.  Overall, it does a fantastic job of capturing feelings of stress associated with performing on stage when not everything it coming together so nicely.

Into the Woods

It was good for the first 1hr and 20mins until they started a whole other story in the movie.

"Bless you for making this." -Sloth 2016 * on "Chicken Shaped Lighthouse Attacks Police"
http://bricksafe.com/files/harborlightpro/400x100%20BRICKSINMOTON%20PIC%202.jpg
Ephesians 4:29 -"Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers."

Zodiac
I was a bit disappointed! Seeing the trailer and reading the cast/crew and plot, I was sure I was going to love this movie. The story was excellent, except for the ending.

Spoiler (click to read)

There really was no conclusion

. Other than that, I thought it was pretty good - the first 6 minutes had me hooked. T'was weird to see R.D. Jr. in a movie besides Iron Man/Avengers stuff mini/lol

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Jacob's Ladder
Had been meaning to watch this, never had, finally did. Very powerful story with great character portrayals, I was also impressed by the cinematography and sound design. The events of the story are metaphorical, something I only realized about halfway through, so it'll warrant a re-watch. Overall, a beautifully haunting and poignant film.

https://i.imgur.com/x8mil9Z.png

Jacob's ladder is an awesome movie!  Jsut had to say it!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Taxi Driver
This is the second best film I've seen all year. Everything just worked so well in it for some reason. The music was excellent, Robert De Niro and the all the other actors were great and the cinematography.. mini/delirium  There wasn't a single boring shot. This film Defenestrated me head first out of several windows and I loved it!

I never knew what was so great about Taxi Driver.  I rank it up there with Titanic as among the most overrated movies ever.  I saw it once at my brother's prodding.  I'll never get those two hours back.

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

I never knew what was so great about Taxi Driver.  I rank it up there with Titanic as among the most overrated movies ever.  I saw it once at my brother's prodding.  I'll never get those two hours back.

Fair enough. What do you not like about it? I admit I was quite seduced by the cinematography but I still can't think of much I didn't like about the film. I think I really like Scorsese's style of filming, especially in his earlier work. mini/smile

I've put The Aviator on the list of "Most Underrated Scorsese Movies". I guess Taxi Driver goes up there too, due to the surprising amount of people who have never heard of the movie. If they've ever heard the line "You tawkin' ta me?", then they've heard of it.

Issac, besides finding it extremely boring, I didn't find Iris, Travis, or any of the characters likeable, including the sympathetic ones.  I never understood the hype.