Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Great Microbiologists (May 29, 2015)

This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Great Microbiologists by Joshua Leasure.

Great Microbiologists is a comedic educational brickfilm about the history of microbiology and notable microbiologists. It was made by Joshua Leasure in 2003 and features European members of the Brickfilms.com community voicing the historic microbiologists in their native languages. Joshua Leasure, known as RevMen, was the owner of Brickfilms.com from 2003 to 2007, and has made several other brickfilms, including Diplomacy I & II, The Battle of New Orleans, and System Reboot, a co-production with Robinson Wood.

Watch Great Microbiologists on the Brickfilm Archive

http://i.imgur.com/enG3qaR.png

SPOILERY DISCUSSION BELOW!

Great Microbiologists is from a genre of brickfilms you don’t see that often nowadays: the educational brickfilm. Like other educational brickfilms like The Laws of Sir Isaac Newton or the two Animation Class films, Great Microbiologists combines humor with historical fact to both amuse and educate. The animation is simple but effective, and the balance between humor and information is well done.

What are your thoughts on Great Microbiologists? What did you like about it? What do you think of the educational aspect? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Great Microbiologists (May 29, 2015)

I think my favourite moment with this film is finding a very sneaky joke while doing research on the microbiologists to get the wiki page right, but I won't give it away. mini/wink (Chat-types might know)

I find this film interesting for being an educational brickfilm that is actually funny and fun to watch. I suppose that is rarely seen as the very few educational brickfilms that do come along are often made as a school project, and not as much of a labour of love. I like RevMen's performance as the narrator, and also the strange design of the narrator. I've been thinking that it might make an interesting idea to have a contest for engaging educational brickfilms like this one.

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Great Microbiologists (May 29, 2015)

IT CALLS ITSELF BRUCE! I forgot how funny this film is. I think I caught the joke sillpenta's talking about, which I definitely didn't notice the first time I watched this years ago, but if it's what I think it its, I'm not sure it's appropriate to say. mini/eh I'm always a fan of anything science related, and the science humor in this film is just wonderful. I also love the scientists in the background banging on microscopes with hammers; I can totally relate to those guys. mini/smile