Re: What was the last movie you watched?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (2005)

So, it's a good movie, with a great soundtrack and all, but there was one really annoying aspect of the movie that drove me nuts.  Not sure why I even noticed it, but boy did it seem to cut quickly. Didn't matter if it was an action scene, establishing shot, simple dialog scenes even did it, but for whatever reason it seemed to jump from shot to shot way too quickly.

The effects, other than a few dodgy green-screen shots, have held up fairly well. But for watching so much Doctor Who, those accents out of the kids still sounded annoying and odd. Everybody else sounded fine, but the four kids were just...off.

Anyway, that's all for now. Good movie despite the flaws, but I just wanted to rant for a bit. Carry on. mini/wink

The Babadook

Wow, just wow. I loved this movie. The atmosphere, the writing, the cinematography and sound design, gosh it's all good. It beats out every other crap sellout horror film that comes out nowadays by far. This movie proves that horror can be truly gripping and amazing.

9/10

Nightcrawler
I liked it. Jake Gylenhal delivered a great performance.
7/10
Napoleon Dynamite
I've seen this film many times, I own it on DVD. It will always be on my top 10 films list for its unique comedy and character development.
9/10

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Tomorrowland

This movie had a lot more action, cliffhanger moments, "save the world from doomsday" racing the clock and intensity than I expected.

The above is a complaint.

My other complaint is the squeezing in global warming references when I just want to escape that kind of nonsense when I go to the movies.

Other than that, I enjoyed the film.  The first thing you see when the movie opens is a nixie tube clock.  I love those, and if I could afford one and had a place to display it nicely, would own one.

My favorite pats of the movie featured Tomorrowland itself.  I love the 1950s/60s retro-future (looks like an early 1960s future).  I just wish I could visit it myself and see all the wonders that it has to offer!

I like how Tomorrowland represents the optimistic future rather than the dystopian future.  Now, I love a dystopian story more than anyone, but I love a rosy utopian suburbia without a trace of cynicism more than anyone else, too!

Some of the violence although bloodless, was pretty intense for a PG movie.  Someone at work agreed with me.  The movie was longer than expected, which is always a plus for me, as I prefer to get as many minutes per dollar as possible!  And I watched it on what the local theater calls, "tightwad Tuesday".  I even bought the medium popcorn for $2.50 and one for my wife!

Well, without spoiling anything, if you want a good action movie with misunderstood teenagers who want to save the world, that's different from your typical movie of this nature, and you actually want something with those edge-of-your-seat cliffhanger moments and bad guys on the attack of the protagonists, you'll enjoy this.  If the movie leaves you wanting more of Tomorrowland itself, as there's just not enough of it, I suggest you also read the book, YESTERDAY'S TOMORROWS by Joseph Corn and Brian Horrigan.  I just got out my copy and am getting ready to read it.  I love the part on the Dymaxion Home!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Over the past few weeks, I've been away from the forums. What could I have possibly been doing, you might ask? Watching films, my dear friend. Watching films.

Bandslam (2009)

Takes place near where I was born and was filmed not too far from a football game I attended. Yeah, that's interesting. Anyways, it's OK, I guess. The ending was pretty cool, but sometimes the character development got confusing and the songs just got obnoxious. Still tries to divert from the usual Disney Channel fare, though.

4.2/10

All The President's Men (1976)

A thoroughly compelling watch. I was always curious as to what was gonna happen next. Probably my favourite Dustin Hoffman movie. Definitely made me want to watch W. and Frost/Nixon.

9.2/10

Walk the Line (2006)

Goes right up there with The Aviator as one of my favourite biopics. It fascinates me to see the downward spiral of once such a prominent member of society, as far as fame, health, and well-being go. That's why I want to see Love and Mercy so badly. Joaquin Phoenix gives a strong performance as Johnny Cash.

9.8/10

San Andreas (2015)

You know, disaster movies are my guilty pleasure. You kind of just have to enjoy them, you can't simply nitpick at them...but when I do...

Spoiler (click to read)

Why was the CalTech building--the one where Paul Giamatti and the newswoman were at--left untouched when downtown Los Angeles crumbled to the ground and San Francisco was completely submerged? I know the entire Bay Area is pretty much at Sea Level, but he said pretty much all of California was gonna go down, right?

How was it that I was one of the only people to realize how much of a coincidence the title was? The game has a lot of relation to the movie, considering The Rock is literally committing grand theft auto by stealing trucks, boats, cars, etc. But, he's not nearly as bad as Ioan Gruffudd's character, who straight-up kills a man and leaves a little girl for dead. Plus, he's your generic, wealthy, socialite villain--hey, just like his character in Fantastic Four!

Why couldn't the elderly couple fly The Rock and his ex over the faultline to San Francisco and drop them in the stadium instead of having the plane crash offscreen? For one thing, the old guy owns the airplane, so he most likely knows how to fly it. Second, they were trying to get over as well, but they were probably doomed when their car runs out of gas after trying to backtrack all the way back to Bakersfield to find the Interstate, thanks to poor screenwriting. Third, I'm not saying this movie should be based upon common sense because it's a movie about an earthquake destroying California--oh wait, that is common sense. Fourth, that's a waste of a good airplane! Seriously, all you had to do was pick up your daughter and her two English friends and fly all the way to someplace where you're safe from the clutches of a nasty earthquake. Like Utah!

Did you notice how this movie is basically 2012? Even down to the end credits font, where it fades in and then fades out. It might not be as long, but it's most likely derived from the same story template: A man living in California struggles to make amends with his ex-wife and daughter, while a random jerk comes in and tries to take his place. Suddenly, when disaster strikes, the family must befriend two children from another country, of whom are separated from their parents, and try to make it to safety. Also, there's a scientist and a Russian dude. Also, the mom's boyfriend dies because he's a jerk. xD!

But yeah, other than that, you shouldn't be so quick to nitpick at a movie. mini/tongue

7.5/10

Jurassic World (2015)

You know, I liked this one. It's not as good as the first one, but it's not terrible either. Seeing Chris Pratt in practically the same exact character as Peter Quill as fun, and the Indian guy is cool, but something about this one felt off. It wasn't the change in director, because even though I was skeptical about a guy who's directed naught but film festival fodder helming an important addition to one of the greatest film franchises out there, Trevorrow didn't disappoint. And neither did this film. It had a lot of awesome moments, and I enjoyed it. But, something about the story felt off. Definitely my second favourite out of all the four films.

Plus, this was the first midnight screening I had ever gone to. It was an interesting experience seeing posters for a movie that doesn't come out till a certain day, and being able to see it the day before.

9.5/10

Rear Window (1954)

Probably one of the better mystery films I've seen in awhile, but far from Hitchcock's best. I still very much like The Birds better, but I am nevertheless interested in seeing his other films.

9.2/10

Coming soon: Reviews of World War Z and Inside Out!

Last edited by Mickey (June 25, 2015 (04:58pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:

Rear Window (1954)

Probably one of the better mystery films I've seen in awhile, but far from Hitchcock's best. I still very much like The Birds better, but I am nevertheless interested in seeing his other films.

9.2/10

I know opinions are opinions, but after reading "far from Hitchcock's best" I felt compelled to offer my point of view (which, for this movie, seems to me an adequate choice of words): I think instead that, along Vertigo and Psycho, it's one of the best he's made. There are many I still haven't seen (he's made about 50 after all), but these three are a whole new dimension of cinema, if he can top these he really must be from another world.

White Heat

"Made it, Ma! Top of the world!"

This film seems to have been ahead of its time. The pacing is excellent–fast, in fact, compared to other films of the same era. All the actors put forth great performances. James Cagney, in particular, is fun to watch. If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Inside Out

I watched this film yesterday, and I have to say, I loved it. I think it's comparable to the Up in story and quality. It was quite emotional (as you can expect, the whole film revolves around emotions mini/tongue ), but still very enjoyable (in fact, it's probably because of the emotional aspect that made it so good). Pixar seems to do extremely well with films about humans in modern-times. Much better, in my opinion, than cars, toys, or fish (not that they were bad, it's just that Up and Inside Out seem to be overall better).

Last edited by rioforce (June 27, 2015 (11:15am))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

MPfist0 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Rear Window (1954)

9.2/10

I know opinions are opinions, but after reading "far from Hitchcock's best" I felt compelled to offer my point of view (which, for this movie, seems to me an adequate choice of words): I think instead that, along Vertigo and Psycho, it's one of the best he's made. There are many I still haven't seen (he's made about 50 after all), but these three are a whole new dimension of cinema, if he can top these he really must be from another world.

In The Birds, the characters seemed much more interested in the frightful events that were unfolding around them. The chills, the thrills, the suspense, the goosebumps, they were all real. You felt like you were a part of this action, because Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, and the others were your guide to a fun, B-movie thrill ride. When a suspenseful setup was involved, you got scared. It all led up to the stock characters dropping like flies.

In Rear Window, the film doesn't play out like a regular mystery movie (hence why I used the word "probably"). The film uses unorthodox methods in setting up the culprit. It doesn't rule out the other neighbors, so they're just in the background, pointlessly waiting around until the 113 minutes are up. They aren't used in the story at all, other than for some comedic relief and background music. The suspense doesn't feel real, because you know who the perpetrator is. You find this out very early on in the movie?

And what do our heroes do after they've chosen the perpetrator? They look out windows! *gasps in superficial shock* Riveting!

And that's why a two-hour-long movie is laughing at the viewer for praising a movie about old people trying to solve a mystery they already know the answer to, but choose to instead stare out a window at random neighbors who aren't important to the story whatsoever! Art! Film!

World War Z (2013)

Good, but I don't think they gave the musical stylings of Muse enough glory. They didn't even include the vocals for "Follow Me", just the dubstep bits. Also, I don't understand why the discount American Sniper guy kept on calling the walkers "the Zeke".

Also, isn't it funny that in the previews for the DVD edition of the movie include a trailer for Star Trek: Into Darkness. It's kind of weird how a trailer for a movie ruined by Damon Lindelof is shown before a movie [supposedly] ruined by Damon Lindelof...with a cameo appearance from a guy from a show ruined by Damon Lindelof.

8.7/10

Lava (2015)

This was the short film that premiered before cinematic screenings of Inside Out. It's really honestly different from the normal Pixar short film fare. I wasn't really expecting something like this.

3.2/10

Inside Out (2015)

And this one didn't quite do it for me either. It had some funny and earnest moments, and it's just as brilliantly animated as ever. But, I felt two ways about the overall story.

For one thing, they could have done more with the story. I liked the idea of seeing the emotions of other human beings that Riley interacts with, and I liked how they set that up in the trailer. So, I wish that they could have had Joy and the other emotions in Riley's mind interact more with the emotions of others, like how her parents' emotions did. It's a really interesting idea, but even the overall creativity of the concept seemed to be more dumbed down than usual. Which brings me into my next point.

Secondly, the overall atmosphere feels more like one of those straight-to-Redbox Wizard of Oz ripoff movies for kids, with Rob Schneider. It's like Osmosis Jones meets Alice in Wonderland. Deep, interesting, humorous, and well-developed characters from past Pixar movies are replaced with a pink elephant and the "voice talents" of Mindy Kaling.

Woody helped me discover at an early age that while some people might act different, look different, and might be received better than oneself, we're all the same species and we were all put here on Earth for a certain purpose--whether or not you view this as religious or not. With Joy, even though I liked how good a job Amy Poehler did, I was immediately bored with how the restricted one-sidedness of her character, and how she could only be optimistic. In fact, that's what the problem was with each of the emotions. They were only capable with being either joyful, sad, angry, scared, or disgusted with something. Woody could be all of those things, and more, such as envious, hateful, and a straight-up bully at times, which don't necessarily fall under the umbrellas of the five emotions in the movie, thus going deeper.

In other words, Inside-Out was disappointing, and didn't quite do it for me. And that's a shame, considering director Pete Docter helmed Up and Monsters Inc., two of my favourite Pixar movies. Still, there were some memorable moments that I enjoyed, and I do look forward to The Good Dinosaur, in hopes that it will be better than the trailers depict it to be.

6/10

Last edited by Mickey (June 27, 2015 (02:15pm))

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Mickey wrote:
MPfist0 wrote:
Mickey wrote:

Rear Window (1954)

9.2/10

In The Birds, the characters seemed much more interested in the frightful events that were unfolding around them. The chills, the thrills, the suspense, the goosebumps, they were all real. You felt like you were a part of this action, because Rod Taylor, Tippi Hedren, and the others were your guide to a fun, B-movie thrill ride. When a suspenseful setup was involved, you got scared. It all led up to the stock characters dropping like flies.

In Rear Window, the film doesn't play out like a regular mystery movie (hence why I used the word "probably"). The film uses unorthodox methods in setting up the culprit. It doesn't rule out the other neighbors, so they're just in the background, pointlessly waiting around until the 113 minutes are up. They aren't used in the story at all, other than for some comedic relief and background music. The suspense doesn't feel real, because you know who the perpetrator is. You find this out very early on in the movie?

And what do our heroes do after they've chosen the perpetrator? They look out windows! *gasps in superficial shock* Riveting!

And that's why a two-hour-long movie is laughing at the viewer for praising a movie about old people trying to solve a mystery they already know the answer to, but choose to instead stare out a window at random neighbors who aren't important to the story whatsoever! Art! Film!

I haven't seen the Birds yet, actually.
What I immensely enjoy about Rear Window is that you only have one point of view, you are there from start to finish with the same man, you know as much as he does, and the neighbours are not just background: they are pretty much the whole picture, even the perpetrator is just a neighbour, like anybody else. The mystery itself is not as much important as the fact that James Stewart is looking at someone else's life, and maybe he shouldn't. Isn't it what we do when we look at movies, watching someone else's life? Would have he discovered anything at all had it not been for all the things going on in the background (which so becomes the foreground), yet, is he doing the right thing? That's what Rear Window is about, it's not just a simple murder mystery, it's a movie about us.
Think about the Grace Kelly character, and watch how James Steart reacts at what happens to him by comparing his life with the neighbours'.
And suspance doesn't mean not knowing who is the real murderer. Hitchcock himself said this many times: it's knowing something's going to happen, but not knowing when, and that builds the tension. The fact that they just watch out the window is not itself riveting, but that they feel useless, they don't know much what else they can do, and they cannot. Grace Kelly is in danger, and we can't do anything about it, we want to scream and to tell her to get out, yet doing that could only make things worse... isn't it riveting?

There's always a lot more going on than it seems. And he did it with just a weelchair and binoculars, which is nothing.

Last edited by MPfist0 (June 28, 2015 (04:19am))

G-Force 2009
It is pretty dumb. All the jokes were just potty humour and the plot was a little under baked. It seems like they just wanted to do a movie with Spy Guinea pigs And Kind've built a plot around it.

1/5

Last edited by Smocktopus (August 24, 2015 (05:04pm))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

Judgement at Nuremberg (1961)

Didn't see it in a while, but it aired on TCM yesterday.  It's funny how it couldn't have happened on a more timely day, after recent affairs in America.  The movie contains real footage from concentration camps that is disturbing but needs to be seen.  And the final line in the movie, when the one imprisoned Nazi said he never knew it would have come to the murders of millions, the judge left him with the words, "You knew it when you first convicted an innocent person."  I think that every judge and person serving political office needs to hear that as a reminder.

Prometheus

Not really impressed. I haven't seen any of the Alien movies yet, but Prometheus didn't make them seem too promising. Of course, Ridley Scott did a good job with the directing, and the special effects were great; but it just didn't seem to be about anything. The plot seemed to ramble a bit and no one's motives were clear. Just my opinion.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

If I Were A Minifig wrote:

Prometheus

Not really impressed. I haven't seen any of the Alien movies yet, but Prometheus didn't make them seem too promising. Of course, Ridley Scott did a good job with the directing, and the special effects were great; but it just didn't seem to be about anything. The plot seemed to ramble a bit and no one's motives were clear. Just my opinion.

I have never seen Prometheus, but Alien (the first one) and Aliens (the second one) are both pretty great, especially if you like practical effects.  I prefer Alien, which is directed by Ridley Scott and while the plot is simple, it does have a clear one.

Just saw Inside Out, just go see it, maybe bring some tissues.

I'll rate it Pixar/Pixar (in comparison cars is eh/Pixar)

I too have just viewed Inside Out. Movies have made me tear up before, but never actually cry. Inside Out was the first. It's definitely one of Pixar's best. I think that an older audience will get much more out of the film than those who are yet to make it past the emotional turmoil that is being a teenager. I feel like I'm just barely old enough to understand the emotional force the film carries. I also think that personal experience will really alter the way someone is effected by this wonderful movie.

During a big marathon on TV, I was able to relive the world of Jurassic Park
For being one of the modern classics in the movie world that you never get tired of watching, and part of one of the best movie franchises in history, it is quite incredible. And it is also great to see the original movie to get ready for the new installment. mini/bigsmile

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

Is prometheus in the Alien Universe?

HoldingOurOwn wrote:

Is prometheus in the Alien Universe?

It is a prequel.

Okay.  Never knew that.  Thank you.