Re: What was the last movie you watched?

Terminator: Genysis. Just got back from IMAX. It was a lot better than I expected it to be. I LOVED Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor (and I'm not just saying that because I'm a religious GoT addict).

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006)

Hmm. You know, it's better than the first one. It feels like it's got itself in order and has a more visual idea of what's going on. And, I'm pretty excited for At World's End. I'll probably rent it pretty soon here. But, I'm not gonna be here at all next week, so I guess we'll see...

9.5/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Tomorrowland

Overall, it was enjoyable, but not a film I'm likely to remember in a few years. One thing surprised me, though:

Spoiler (click to read)

The antagonist has a lot of excellent points. Here's what I could find of his monologue for reference:

"The entire world whole heartedly embraced collapse… In every moment there’s the possibility of a better future and you do nothing about it. … Because that future asks nothing of you. Why? Because you want to sink — you gave up.

In every moment there's a possibility of a better future, but you people won't believe it. And because you won't believe it you won't do what is necessary to make it a reality."

Now a disclaimer: I think his greatest flaw here is he firmly believes that absolutely nobody is going to change. He's over-generalizing ("you people," "the entire world," etc). He's got a very bleak outlook, which seemed to be the point. But that there are at least some people who've given up, who forgo a better future (even if only for themselves) because it would require something of them, I think he's correct. I feel that there are people out there with zero ambition, content to just float along for 75+ years without really doing anything, and that's terrible.

Also, I'm kinda bummed that he dies at the end. It seemed really unnecessary to me.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

Spoiler (click to read)

The concept of "Tomorrowland" was the optimism of the future, but Governor Myx's pessimsim was what led to its downfall.

And I, too, was disappointed that he had to die, instead of be redeemed.  I was surprised a the level of violence for a PG movie, actually.

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

The last movie I saw was the 80s action classic, "The Terminator."  It was on Netflix so I decided why the heck not?  I watched it and was blown away at how it was simultaneously dated and timeless.  What a great action film.  In a genre which today really isn't the same.

My profile picture is deep fried lol

Jurassic World

Eh. A fun spectacle to see in the theater. I'd love to see a dinosaur movie for once that isn't a monster movie, though.

The Hunt

Incredible, one of my favorite films I've seen in years. Definitely left an impression and is one of those films I find myself thinking about often since having seen it over a month ago.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

My brother saw JW and said he loved it.
I hear the dinos go into space in the next movie.

Terminator Genisys Genesis

This movie is a dull, grey, loveless, gratuitious continuation of a clearly finished franchise. And by 'this movie,' I'm of course talking about Terminator: Salvation. Genesis is actually pretty good. It didn't set me alight, but it was a good way to pass two hours.

What I liked most was how it tried to do something new. It tried to BioShock Infinite the franchise by twisting formulas and messing about with parallel dimensions. Did it suceed? Kinda sorta. I found the whole thing engrossing but at the same time began to spot the plotholes. Plus I want Emilia Clarke to star in every action movie from now on, and Arnold's performance reminded me that the guy is a master of deadpan.

Ultimately, I value originality over actual quality. If you create something that's bland but very well made then it only serves to make it even more bland. If you create something flawed (even deeply flawed) but do it with a unique flair then it's still going to stand out.

Last edited by Max Butcher (July 10, 2015 (02:20pm))

YouTube
Max, She/They

I finally got around to watching "Casablanca", the old black and white classic. Very well written for its time, I enjoyed it. Though it might be dull and very slow for many people here, it was made in 1942, and it shows. I did laugh at the toy plane on a string landing at the airport. mini/lol

Looking through the last few pages for good movies to watch - lots of good recommendations!

Smile and say hello to people. It costs you nothing and can brighten their day.

million Dollar Baby.

Seemed good for a while, then the horrible ending kinda made ruined the whole feature for me.

Mad Max: Fury Road

Incredible film. Definitely one of the best of the year so far

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (12:29pm))

Formerly known as HeliumBrick

What?

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (12:20pm))

Sharknado 543
Meh, the first one was better.
10/10

/

Last edited by Noah (May 27, 2017 (12:20pm))

Ant Man

9.5/10

A brilliant movie, with the right kind of humour, and finally something different to the standard 'make lots of money' superhero movie template that Marvel has been doing. Great work on the character development and story development. Easy enough to keep track if this is your first Marvel film, and enough easter eggs if it is your tenth. Plus, an end credits scene that actually is worth staying around for. One of the first movies in a long time that I want to go back and watch again in cinemas.

http://www.cxpulp.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=874&d=1279678499
The new KB Videos coming soon.

Matchstick Men (2003)

The plot twist is one of the better ones I've seen in movies lately, the action is tense and gripping, and Nic Cage is at his absolute wackiest. Have you ever been dragged to a sidewalk and beaten til you PEED BLOOD!!!

9.8/10

TRON (1982)

Despite tiring easily from watching an hour and a half of Windows 95 screensavers, I gotta give it to Star Wars and this movie for revolutionizing special effects in movies. However, these innovations did lead up to a time period where VFX would soon be done to death.

8.8/10

The Iron Giant (1999)

I'm glad I finally found a copy of this movie. It's a nostalgia trip back to the times when my parents would take me and my kid brother on long car rides and would pop in kids' flicks almost like this one to keep our six-year-old selves entertained. Still surprised I've never seen this one before. Really liked it.

9.5/10

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Ant-Man

For those who may have been on the fence about seeing this movie, GO SEE IT! While my favorite Marvel film, this movie is right in between Iron Man and Thor for me. The body count is kept at a minimum here and focuses more on a Bat Man PUNCH and POW style. While there are a few things I wish they would have kept from the Scott Lang origin story, the end result is quite a fun and heart warming tale.

Pixels

This was a movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again. The movie was a great tribute to the classics that we still love today. There are a few points that are a bit redundant, but work great with the story. Though I wish there was a better storyline to the movie than just having VFX take over.

Ending....if you dare..

Spoiler (click to read)

Trust me....You don't want to know

It adds up to be a good movie to see during the summer.

7.5/10

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test