Re: The Animation Challenge

backyardlegos wrote:

How, and why, are you using 17 fps instead of 15, it makes no sense.

Forgive me, but why does it make no sense?

Personally, I switch between fps. The lowest I use nowadays is 17, and the highest is 26 (but that's normally for very specific, rare shots). My average is probably 19.

Sorry, this is a bit off-topic.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

My D&L entry was only 10fps, but I made it a while back, and I am currently working on a film at 12fps. I don't think I'll up it any more, at least for a while.

I feel like any fps 12 and up starts making your animation smoother but the most important thing is the way you animate. You'd be suprised how fast you can get things to look if you eas in and out properly. I myself like 15 fps and have been practicing using it to make things look as smooth as possible but still be fast and intertaining. example

Yeah, that is pretty smooth, good job. I've got to say, I'm filming my next film at 12fps, at the moment, and I am quite pleased with how smooth the walking looks. You'll be able to see it later this month. Anyway, I think we are differing from this page's actual subject. We better stop now mini/wink

Yes, but I'm defenently planning to enter this challenge you should too.

Nah, haven't the time this week.

I'm struggling to enter, but I'm going to enter.

"I wear black even when I'm not animating. I'm like a walking funeral parlor."
-PushOverProductions

Just a reminder, the deadline for this round's entries is this Monday. Only one person has entered so far. Let's have a little more competition here. There's still plenty of time to make one. It doesn't have to be super elaborate. Just remember, the whole point is to improve your skills and have fun!

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Tims Videos wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RC47fjUh4x4
Sorry it's so fast. I'm still adjusting to 17 fps.

I think the camera should be further away from the subject and make the shot wider so you can show the car driving into the wall at a greater speed. Right now it seems as if you wanted to give the car enough to screen time for the audience to be able to recognise that it's a car (there's nothing wrong with that) but it doesn't have enough space to make it look like it's fast. A slow drive and a massive crash doesn't suit the laws of physics. The fame rate isn't too big of a problem though, just the position of the camera.

For most animations I make (except for character animation) I change the frame rate to see if it looks better. Sometimes a kick looks better at 16 FPS and a punch looks better at 19 FPS. Usually I resort to 15 FPS. 24 FPS walk cycles are really good when they're done well but they same walk style can't be achieved at 15 FPS.

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

The not-so-interesting entry of mine

I made this, didn't really feel like redoing it. It's not the best, and the physics are weird and goofy, but hey, at least I'm entering. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Looks like there's only two entries this time. Slightly disappointing compared to the last few rounds but hey, at least there was still some competition. Thus, without further ado, the winner of this round is...

rioforce! I liked your entry. The way you waited till after the collision to make the car fully fall apart gave the clip a somewhat cartoony feel (which matches rather well with your other animations, IMO). I must say though, the reality defying physics at the end weirded me out a bit... mini/tongue

Tim, your entry was OK. Unfortunately, the way it hit the wall and fell apart was rather unrealistic. Also, as others pointed out, it was rather short. I understand that you're getting used to a new framerate, but I'd definitely suggest making your test animations longer in the future. That way, they'd not only be more enjoyable to watch, but would give you a better idea of what you need to improve on as well as give you more practice animating (which is really what this thread is all about, after all). You'll definitely learn a lot more making a 5-10 second clip than you would a 3 second clip.

Take it away rio! I look forward to seeing what you come up with. mini/smile

Last edited by Brickcrazy (September 7, 2015 (07:23pm))

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

I was going to enter, given I am animating a car chase currently(around 2min long) but had to fly to NZ for my grandfathers funeral. next time...

I wanted to enter this one - my idea was to have a car falling off the back of a transporter lorry (inspired by Bad Boys 2) and because I happen to have the Lego City Car Transporter set but I simply did not have time this week, good effort from Tim and rioforce to keep it going though:)

DNAnimation

Thanks, Brickcrazy! It's too bad there weren't more entries, though. Maybe there will be lots of entries for this challenge:

Sword fight! Animate two beings, whether animals, minifigs, robots, etc etc etc sword fighting. They can use cutlasses, lightsabers, shortswords, sticks, fences, or any other type of sword objects (I guess even a swordfish would count if you could pull it off effectively mini/tongue ). The more action the better. This is a fairly easy challenge to setup, but difficult for a lot to accomplish, but don't let that scare you off! Let this be a learning experience, test your limits and see how well you can do. mini/bigsmile

The deadline is September 14th!

Last edited by rioforce (September 8, 2015 (07:23pm))

YouTubeWebsite

What's the deadline? I'd love to enter but I'll be away until September 18th.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

Whoops, sorry, the deadline is the 14th. I forgot to put it in the post. Too bad you'll be away D:

YouTubeWebsite

That's a shame mini/sad well, best of luck to everyone who enters. This seems like a cool challenge.

I wish I could, but I'm away at the moment, and also currently working on a film that's taking longer than I initially thought. Sounds like a really good competition too mini/sad

Gonna get started on this right away. Hopefully I can get it finished before the deadline.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

I have a question. Can the sword fight animation be part of an another project that I am working on? mini/confused I started animating a project that includes sword fighting but I would like this to part of this contest.

Last edited by Headpods (September 8, 2015 (06:08pm))

Making Motion  Youtube