Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Brickcrazy wrote:

For the spinoff film, Rogue One, that is...  <(-_-)>]

Brickcrazy, that's legendary].

I'm kind of excited to hear what Desplat produces. His work on Deathly Hallows' soundtrack, particularly on Part 2, was excellent, and that was also a gig he'd taken over from John Williams.

Don't get me wrong, I love John Williams' work, but I don't think he's the be-all and end-all of good soundtracks. It's interesting to see how other composers use his work as a foundation for their own.

A great non-Williams Star Wars soundtrack was for The Force Unleashed (one of my all-time favourite video games). Mark Griskey's style was very different to Williams, much more aggressive and heavier-sounding, with all these deep, angry brass notes to reflect Starkiller's angst...and yet it still felt like Star Wars. It had a lot of the same patterns and rhythms, and motifs like the main theme and the Imperial March were very skillfully worked into the newly-composed stuff. The soundtrack to the awful sequel, The Force Unleashed II, was also very good. Not as good, but still good.

But it's TFU and a few older SW games that make me feel more comfortable with John Williams handing over the reins. Yes, his music was an integral part of Star Wars, but if anyone can hold the fort, it's Desplat. He's proven he's da main man.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/ZoefDeHaas/stuff/sig1.png
"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

I dug the KotOR 2 score.

But then, I think KotOR 2 is a superior work to all of the Star Wars films.

I'm intrigued to see what other composers bring to the scores in the spinoff films.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

William Osborne wrote:

I hear rumuors that Alexandre Desplat will be composing the score instead of John Williams!

Abrams treated the people at the Star Wars panel to a concert with Williams conducting. Williams also gave up composing duties for Spielberg's film, Bridge of Spies (I don't think Spielberg hasn't had a film without a Williams score since before Jaws) to work on Star Wars.

Like Jampot, I'm pretty excited for Desplat's work on Rogue One. Deathly Hallows proved he could take over for Williams, and Godzilla shows that he can do more than Oscar-bait dramas, as good as his scores for those are.

Sméagol wrote:

I dug the KotOR 2 score.

But then, I think KotOR 2 is a superior work to all of the Star Wars films.

I'm more of a fan of KotOR 1, purely on the basis of the twist. KotOR 2 was still a fantastic piece of work, but the gameplay for the three final boss battles was a bit repetitive in my opinion.

That said, kudos to them for creating in Nihilus a villain who's more terrifying than Vader.

But TFU will always be my favourite corner of the galaxy, closely followed by the Zayne Carrick saga.

EDIT: I didn't know he'd done Godzilla as well. That was another great score.

"Nothing goes down 'less I'm involved. No nuggets. No onion rings. No nothin'. A cheeseburger gets sold in the park, I want in! You got fat while we starved on the streets...now it's my turn!" -Harley Morenstein

From hearing his previous works, Desplat seems to have the same standards as Williams. They both make great and beautifully composed scores and they both have a variety of themes throughout their films.

I've heard speculation that Desplat was the one who composed the score for the Rogue One teaser. If that is the case, I'm very interested to see if he will be using Williams themes but also incorporate a new style of music to go with those themes.

http://artawakens.com/
This is really cool. I'm entering. EDIT: You have to have a Tumblr page which I don't and I tried entering about 4 times before I saw that mini/lol

Last edited by Smocktopus (August 13, 2015 (03:58pm))

I do not brickfilm anymore, but you can see my live action stuff here.

http://comicbook.com/2015/08/15/star-wa … ce-online/

You beat me to it man. mini/wink  These sets are so beautiful and remind me so much of those Revenge of the Sith sets I can't help but sit here and tear up a little bit. Well done Lego. mini/bigsmile

Desplat's previous work is beautiful, but if you have Abrams and Trevorrow trying to get in on the supermassive cash grab known as Episodes 7, 8, and 9, you gotta get Michael Giacchino in there. He's replicated Williams' work much better, as evidenced by Jurassic World. Still, it'll be interested to hear Desplat step in. Loved the soundtrack for Fantastic Mr. Fox and Tree of Life.

Have you seen a big-chinned boy?

Third Teaser

I've never known there to be such a build up for a film. To think that they released the first trailer last December, 12 months before the film's released. I can't wait for it!

They released the first trailer in November

November was it? So 13 months before released mini/eek

I find it funny that they released the first teaser way insanely early but now it's less than four months away and the official trailer hasn't been released. The current rumor however is that it'll be released October 2nd.

Force Friday is this week! Anyone plan on blowing loads of cash (like myself) at 12:01 a.m. this Friday?

Galactic Films wrote:

Force Friday is this week! Anyone plan on blowing loads of cash (like myself) at 12:01 a.m. this Friday?

I'll probably buy a few things twenty hours after the event starts. I would go to the midnight release, but with school and work in the morning; not gonna happen mini/lol
Still, it will be exciting to see what's left in the stores for me. When these releases happened for AOTC and ROTS, very little was left over unfortunately.

I'm planning on buying the LEGO Millennium Falcon and the LEGO Rey's Speeder, so a total of $170 (although with coupons, it's $145). And I'm planning to go to the midnight release. School doesn't start until next week so I have to savor these last few days of freedom.

I was planning on going out and getting Rey's Speeder, but then ended up getting a Kylo Ren poster and a lightsaber instead, mainly because I wasn't considering my choices at the time.

Where Creativity Meets Logic.
Youtube]

I really want Rey's speeder. It's a good price and the two minifigures are beaut. Galactic Bricks showed me some pictures of it unboxed and I honestly can't wait to get it.

Spoiler (click to read)

BTW, Boba Fett's 90% confirmed to be alive post-RotJ in the new canonical universe, thanks to a screenshot from a Battlefront DLC. I love Boba, and while I was apprehensive when I started reading Legends and he was still alive, he quickly grew on me again. Glad to see he's not forgotten.