Topic: Brickfilm of the Week: Dance of Death (October 23, 2015)

http://i.imgur.com/mZvWSvJ.png

Our Brickfilm of the Week Horror Special continues! This week’s Brickfilm of the Week is Dance of Death by Steffen Troeger.

Dance of Death (German: Totentanz) is a 2004 horror brickfilm directed by Steffen Troeger and animated by Troeger and Andreas Mooslechner. It is based on the 1813 poem of the same name by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. It placed first in the NWBrickCon 2004 Mystery Contest and won the audience choice for Best Film at Steinerei 2005.

Steffen Troeger, also known as "Go Le Go," was a member of Brickfilms.com and continues to make brickfilms to this day. He is also known for Found, 802.701 The Time Machine, iWater, and the Bricks in Love series.

Watch Dance of Death on YouTube

What are your thoughts on Dance of Death? What did you like about it? Did you have a favorite moment?

Re: Brickfilm of the Week: Dance of Death (October 23, 2015)

Although I am familiar with golego's work, I can't say I've ever seen this one before. It is well executed and does give off a horrifying effect, partly due to the black and white and the look of the tempter (I believe that's what he's called). There definitely something very scary about him. One of my favourite parts was the actual effect of the dead coming out of the graves. It really did look like something out of a horror movie. The one thing I probably would of done differently, if I was golego is the music. I would of probably used Danse Macabre instead, as that is based on the Dance of Death, however, the music of choice wasn't bad, and it still worked well in the film.

This was definitely an ambitious project that clearly succeeded. I enjoyed it enough to view twice. Agree that the dead rising from the graves was very well done. I can't imagine how long this took to execute. Great inspiration and proof that patience and hard work can produce a great result!

I believe this was the most mentioned film in the documentary interviews. I think what impresses me most is the feeling of tone/atmosphere it has, which I find unsettling in a way that is typically hard to achieve with LEGO. I think a lot of that is owing to the music and sound design.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png