Topic: Avid Media Composer

I've been getting frustrated by the amount of crashes and problems rendering I have lately been experiencing with Premiere Pro. So I have been thinking about jumping ships and going to Avid Media Composer which has been around forever so I am hoping it is more stable. Has anyone here used Avid and if so how well do you think it would work for stop motion? I'm still planning on keeping After Effects to do image sequencing.

Re: Avid Media Composer

I realize that I am not answering your question, so please disregard this paragraph if you want to, but here is some information that might be interesting for you. Blender can be used for video editing. I know that it isn't the optimal way of doing things and Blender has a steep learning curve (I don't know if you have used it before), but it can be decently powerful if you know what your doing. If you want to look into it more, here is a good youtube series on using blender for video editing.

More directly relating to your question: I believe that Avid Media Composer has a free 30 day trial if you wanted to give that a go.

"...just take stuff apart.  Be heartless, do not develop feelings for these sets..." -Squid
YouTube
My standards: Philippians 4:8

I never used Avid Media Composer for stop motion animation, and I'm not sure how I would do the image sequencing optimally… but if you do the image sequencing in After Effects it's basically like regular editing, right?
In that case I think it should work as well as for anything else… Although it's not because it's been around forever that you should expect it to be stable Media Composer crashing or causing headaches is a commun thing.

I gave the trial a go and it turns out it is not for me. I guess part of the reason Avid is so stable is it only supports a handful of codex so I would have to convert all my footage before using it. I think that is more of a pain than occasional crashes and problems rendering.

Avid is super particular about the codecs it likes, if your workflow isn't set up properly it'll have all sorts of problems.
The main benefit I've found is that it just has a more robust and accurate cutting system if you want to get into the frame-by-frame timing of things. It's also industry standard so good to know if you want jobs in film/TV. Otherwise, Premier all the way! Dynamic linking and codec support is the bomb.

Source: They teach Avid at my film school

mini/smile