Topic: [BRAWL 2016] Don't Look Back

Directory Link

Don't Look Back

YouTube

This is an entry to the BRAWL 2016 Contest.

Behind the Scenes Pictures

Last edited by twickabrick (July 23, 2016 (05:14pm))

Re: [BRAWL 2016] Don't Look Back

As always, your animation was excellent. You did a good job of creating a feeling of suspense throughout the film, too.

Spoiler (click to read)

The joke at the end doesn't land that well in my opinion, though. It feels a little anticlimactic. Otherwise, great work!

Spoiler (click to read)

As I was watching I was thinking "this is a shift in tone from the rest of his films", and then I got to the end and everything made sense. I have to agree with UnknownBrick that that joke at the end didn't quite land, but I don't think it was a bad idea, I just feel like the voice acting didn't quite sell it.

The animation and use of camera movement to convey tone were really fantastic, though. Great work as always. mini/bigsmile

Wow! That camera movement! I see you got new equipment, that's awesome. While the story wasn't quite as complex as your usual, I really enjoyed it. I look forward to what you make next! mini/bigsmile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Man, your animation skills never fail to impress! The camera moves and tracking shots were beautifully done. However, I have to agree with the others that the story felt a bit lacking compared to your past works. Almost felt like a glorified excuse to show off some very (VERY) good camera moves... mini/tongue

Either way, I still thoroughly enjoyed it, great work!

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Haha, the end. You don't see that in everyday movies.

The man's actual voice seemed a lot deeper than his panting. Almost as if it were two different actors.

Thanks for the comments, everybody! It's interesting to hear people's reactions to the ending. I guess that's probably a danger for one-joke movies, but the voice acting probably could've made it work better.

Spoiler (click to read)

Also, to clarify, you guys are talking about the first ending, right, and not the after-credits ending?

Brickcrazy wrote:

The camera moves and tracking shots were beautifully done. However, I have to agree with the others that the story felt a bit lacking compared to your past works. Almost felt like a glorified excuse to show off some very (VERY) good camera moves... mini/tongue

Thanks, Brickcrazy! The reason this video is so short is because we were originally going to make a much longer entry, but we decided to try to make something shorter on Friday because we realized we wouldn't be able to finish the longer entry in time. The funny thing about the two camera moves (the aerial one and the one that follows his feet) is that I animated those at around 3:00 in the morning and really was just making it up as I went along at that point. Just goes to show that blindly trying new things can turn out pretty cool sometimes! Although I animated something earlier in the day that didn't turn out very well, so... not always.

jasper wrote:

The man's actual voice seemed a lot deeper than his panting. Almost as if it were two different actors.

Both the breathing and the lines at the end were by me (Garry Moore) but I probably could've made them sound more similar.

Also, was anyone distracted by the fact that we used the Dane Cook face for the main character? mini/tongue

Last edited by twickabrick (July 26, 2016 (01:16pm))

Spoiler (click to read)

Wow, I feel bad for missing that after credits ending. It definitely adds more humor to the film.