Re: Summer Contest: Sight & Sound

This sounds awesome! I can't wait to get mini/lol stareted!!!:D

I can't wait to see everyones Entries!!!

Austin-Frame5 Studios https://i.imgur.com/6kA5imJ.png

Photron wrote:

Quick question though: is the use of music from Youtube's Audio Library (which is provided free to content creators for use in their videos, and specifically listed as no attribution required) allowed for the purposes of this contest?

As long as you're within the licensing requirements, you are fine to use these, yes.

My warning that William cites was mostly written because I'm tired of really weak uses of the same 3 or 4 incompetech/Kevin MacLeod pieces being used in one brickfilm after another. It's possible to do something really nice with good stock music choices that aren't going to be highly familiar to your viewers, but I think a good original score is better, particularly in an audio-driven contest.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Given it's explicitly stated in the rules we've never needed to say this before, but because half the entries so far are in violation of it:

In order to qualify, do not share your entry publicly until after the contest deadline has passed. Thank you.

I have a question about releasing the entry after the deadline. Are we allow to re-upload the video on september 2nd. I say this because when i submitted my entry, i made the video unlisted so that when i submitted it only the judges would be able to view it. However by making it unlisted you won't be able to show the youtube video as your most recent upload. Say you are in the top 10 and your video gets linked here on forums. The video publish date will say whatever day you submitted the entry.

Basically my question (s) is. 1. Can we re upload on september 1st or 2nd. (I'm not sure what time of day on the first that the deadline has passed so to be safe im posting mine in the 2nd).

2. Will we be notified after the deadline confirming our entry has been submitted successfully?

3. When will the results come up. Sorry if you've answered all of my questions in a previous post, i didn't see it anywhere. 

Sméagol wrote:

Given it's explicitly stated in the rules we've never needed to say this before, but because half the entries so far are in violation of it:

In order to qualify, do not share your entry publicly until after the contest deadline has passed. Thank you.

Austin-Frame5 Studios https://i.imgur.com/6kA5imJ.png

Once you make it public,  the video will say it was uploaded on that day, so you won't need to worry about that!

TopBrick Studios wrote:

1. Can we re upload on september 1st or 2nd. (I'm not sure what time of day on the first that the deadline has passed so to be safe im posting mine in the 2nd).

I doubt I'm allowed to speak on behalf of the contest runners, but I would think a re-upload of your entry is suitable to notify your subscribers of your new release - that is, of course, if it's unchanged from the entry submitted to the judges.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

It's okay. Your subscribers will be notified when you make it public.

William Osborne wrote:

Once you make it public,  the video will say it was uploaded on that day

Oh really...?

Yes, a previously private or unlisted video will appear at the top of the subscription box when made public.

I was referring to how the upload date changes, I didn't know that part.

VN wrote:
William Osborne wrote:

Once you make it public,  the video will say it was uploaded on that day

Oh really...?

UnknownBrick Films wrote:

Yes, a previously private or unlisted video will appear at the top of the subscription box when made public.

VN wrote:

I was referring to how the upload date changes, I didn't know that part.

Yep, that's a relatively recent change in YouTube (I think it was introduced maybe 2 years ago now so not actually that recent). It's kinda annoying in some cases, like if you want to indiscreetly publish a video, but in most ways, it's super helpful. I always upload my videos unlisted then publish them later, and it always pushes it right up to the top of my channel as if it was uploaded that very second.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I believe what William said is correct but if you do want to re-upload it's fine, as long as you don't change the film somehow. What we are intending to avoid is a scenario where the public sees a version of the film that is different than what judges are *supposed* to be working off of (in actuality, they may watch whichever version is public when it gets posted, and that would color their initial impression if sound has been cleaned up, etc.). So, don't upload a revised/improved version until after contest results are announced and you'll be fine.

To answer the question about when results are announced: it varies. Since our judges are volunteers, I just try to get them to watch the entries and confer as quickly as possible. It usually takes 2-4 weeks, but sometimes less. If time and schedule allow, we'll announce a results live chat event where the winners are announced a few days in advance in this forum.

As for notification about your entry being received: I am updating the list periodically, it's at the bottom of the first post of the thread. If it's very near the deadline and your film hasn't appeared on the list yet (and was submitted days ago, not hours) then there's probably something wrong, but I'd have responded to your submission to let you know in that case.

edit: received entry list is updated as of this edit!

Last edited by Sméagol (August 25, 2016 (07:41pm))

May the best film win
mini/sunnies

I have a question; is it okay to use SFX from games? I wanna use some gun SFX from Counter-Strike: Condition Zero but I'm not sure if I'm allowed or not!

No, you can't.
You must have the legal rights to use the sounds/music you make use of.
Seeing as the game is a copyrighted work, you'll have to get permission directly from them to make use of their sounds.
Oh, and good luck with that.

Your best bet to somewhere like Freesound.org that may have something similar. Sweetsoundeffects.com has quite a few gun sounds. Perhaps you can find something similar there. (That being said, more and more of his links are broken, so you'll have to check yourself.)

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try to contact them or download some new SFX mini/blankexpression
Am I allowed to use SFX from free games? or it needs permission too?

Shahriar wrote:

Thanks for the quick response. I'll try to contact them or download some new SFX mini/blankexpression
Am I allowed to use SFX from free games? or it needs permission too?

That would only be allowed if the person who created the sound released it under a royalty free license. The game being free doesn't have any general connection to the sound licensing. Basically if you didn't create it and they haven't explicitly said "people can use this for their projects without asking me" you have to get their permission.

Hmmm... Okay.
However, I'm going to contact Valve (Creator of CS:CZ) but I'm not sure which E-mail is the exact one for my task. Can anyone help me?

Shahriar wrote:

Hmmm... Okay.
However, I'm going to contact Valve (Creator of CS:CZ) but I'm not sure which E-mail is the exact one for my task. Can anyone help me?

I'm going to save you some time and tell you to look for your own SFX or make your own. Valve is one of the largest companies in the video game industry and they are not going to let just anyone let them use their sound effects without a big name or money behind them. This is the equivalent of trying to call up Lucasfilm so that you can use their lightsaber sound effects.