Topic: [Sight & Sound] Honk Honk!

Directory Link

http://i67.tinypic.com/20u3n7d.jpg

Youtube

"Honk Honk!" is a big honking fun time! It’s a story of a man who’s history has deprived him from what he’s passionate about, and he goes to great measures to express just how important it is to him.

A spin-off film featuring two characters from my (personally disappointing) release from a year ago: CHANNEL 42; events going in chronological order. Aaron Carmichael and TeaSpoon make a return in my entry to the BricksInMotion.com’s Sight & Sound animation competition.

Last edited by VN (August 31, 2016 (07:33pm))

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Re: [Sight & Sound] Honk Honk!

Wow, I don't really know what to say about this. The lighting, the animation, the set design, the sheer goofiness of it all... everything was super impressive. Amazing job! mini/smile

Perfect. mini/yes

In all seriousness, the animation of the arm for the honking motion is one of the most creative bits of minifig animation I've seen in awhile.

This is madness and I love it. The spastic edits set the tone for something strange, and when that music hits, ho boy. What a ride. I gotta lie down.

https://i.imgur.com/IRCtQGu.jpg

Fantastic work! Was wacky, weird and I thoroughly enjoyed it! The piano animation at the end was great too

Fun and beautifully made. I love all the movements of the arms and the voice acting. Happy to see another new film from you.

Thanks everyone!

backyardlegos wrote:

In all seriousness, the animation of the arm for the honking motion is one of the most creative bits of minifig animation I've seen in awhile.

mini/smile I knew I had to do something distinctive there.

Last edited by VN (September 4, 2016 (05:46pm))

So... that was really weird, but pretty stinkin' awesome.

Now available to score films. https://soundcloud.com/guy-commanderson

"Contrary to the old saying, the trick is not to expect but accept the unexpec..." ~ Rick Rascal

That was awesome, I loved it. It's so interesting to see this kind of stagey, theatrical approach to storytelling in brickfilming, but you pretty much nailed it. Very unique, and the gamble paid off.

Good to have you back and animating again, VN. mini/smile

MindGame wrote:

Very unique, and the gamble paid off.

mini/cat Hearing that makes it all worth it.

Great camera movements and everything. My complaint was the piano at the end. The piano keys were rightfully built, but, as I followed the music sheet, the notes were all wrong. That's a shame. Although a nice music video from all other points of view.

LegoStudiosP wrote:

I followed the music sheet, the notes were all wrong.

Oh, really? I took the scrolling music sheet directly from the Garageband project where the song was assembled; only discrepancy was that the music was played an octave higher. I'm novice at piano and reading music so why it is incorrect is really beyond me. mini/confused

Last edited by VN (September 9, 2016 (02:35pm))

Looks like it was exported in bass clef, maybe? Not well versed in music theory but that's how it appears to me. The animation itself is perfect though, I don't think it's really something to sweat (maybe that is bass for tiny minifigure pianos!).

Honestly I didn't even pay attention to the sheet music until LSP brought it up because the hand animation was so well done.

I rechecked, Squash is right. I must be honest that I didn't go to check on my piano the notes (I'm from a family of musicians; that's why I checked this); it's supposingly written in Bass clef; usually music sheet written for th right hand is in Treble clef / G clef, but this is in Bass clef /F clef. The reason I couldn't see that is because the clef isn't shown. Still this whole thing is me nitpicking something that isn't even important for the animation itself. mini/wink

I have to say, I've probably watched this countless times by now. The quirky dialogue, the lively animation, and the detailed sets really make this film standout. Very impressive.

Looking forward to seeing more brickfilms from you, VN!

Last edited by Willow Tree (September 10, 2016 (12:28pm))

I loved the pace and photography on this. The black background was nice and black. But I really loved the creativity of the story/concept. It stands out for its originality.

I think the piano animation succeeded regardless of the treble/bass clef issue. Maybe that cat can just read/transpose in any clef!

mini/wink

Woodrow Village Films
youtube.com/woodrowvillage

WOW the animation was so smooth!! great job! how did you do the cam movement? it was fantastic! mini/bigsmile

STOPandMOTION wrote:

WOW the animation was so smooth!! great job! how did you do the cam movement? it was fantastic! mini/bigsmile

Thanks for the comment. I use a tri-pod that was from a telescope, it has geared mechanisms for position adjustments. I love doing camera animation but I think I over did it a bit in this one.

I'll have a new film out very soon so come back to check it out.