Topic: DSLR Capture Software

Hey everyone,

Recently I've been experimenting with using my Canon DSLR for stop motion and really like the results. Since the program I have been using for the past few years only supports webcams, I am now searching for new software. 

One piece of software that looks promising is AnimaShooter. I probably will check out the free trial to see if it will work out, but I'd like some opinions on it.

In short (not really), I have two main questions:

1. What do you think of AnimaShooter Capture?

2. If you wouldn't recommend AnimaShooter, what would you suggest? If I were to get new software, I'd like it to have Canon DSLR support (obviously), Onion Skinning (that's why EOS Utility is out of the question), and a price of under $50.

Thanks!

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

Re: DSLR Capture Software

I honestly, have no experience with AnimaShooter Capture. I checked out the website, and it really looked like a good software for Stop Motion animation.

What i can suggest you is iStopMotion. It is a very very good software, and it is 50$. The only bad thing about it, is that it is Mac only. If you are in a PC i only know EOS Utility and MonkeyJam. (I am not sure if MonkeyJam can support DSLR cameras.)

Another software i know is HeliumFrog Animator (but i do not know if it is good). It is free but it is also a very old software and it may not work well with new versions of Windows. (I have not seen it, so i would recommend you take a look at it if you want to know how good it is etc....

Dragonframe, however is the best stop motion software out there. It is a A LOT OF money (295$) but is super worth it.
Again, my top suggestions are iStopMotion for Mac and Dragonframe for PC. If you are looking on a cheap PC software, look into AnimaShooter Capture or EOS Utility. mini/smile mini/smile

Andrew BrickMovies - Stop Motion Animator

The free programs like MonkeyJam and HeliumFrog don't support DSLRs. I believe they are way harder to code for, so you're going to have to pay something. On the surface Animashooter looks like it could be a good affordable alternative. Definitely use the trial first though, and beat on it pretty hard, because for whatever reason stop-motion software tends to be particularly prone to stability issues. That's one of the reasons DragonFrame is so popular, it's the most stable (there are other reasons too, obviously).

iStopmotion and AnimaShooter Capture are pretty much your only options as far I know. If you are attending school though then you can apply for the student discount for Dragonframe. I did that recently and it save me a lot of money so look into that.

DarkHoundIV wrote:

If you are attending school though then you can apply for the student discount for Dragonframe. I did that recently and it save me a lot of money so look into that.

But the only problem with that is that it's a non-commercial license (which a lot of people simply think that only applies to businesses not being able to use the product, but actually, it means you ought not put ads on your videos either because then the video is technically a "commercial" product). In the long run, I'd definitely say buy DF if you're gonna get it, because with the student discount, you'll have to buy it again in the future if you want to make money off your videos (either in ad revenue or making stuff for clients).

But, as for the topic question at hand: I tried AnimaShooter trial, and it wouldn't even open on my computer. Not sure why, could be my computer. I'd love to hear if anyone else actually got it to open. For a long time there, I used a free camera tethering software called DigiCamControl. It's no animation program, but it takes pictures and has a bit of live view. I think it added some onion skinning too. Might wanna check that out.

You didn't specific Mac or PC, so  if you're on a Mac, there are a few free capture options on the Free Software List (but I've never tested them out of course since I'm a PC guy).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

The student license can be used for making money later on, you just have to be using it not making money for a little wile if I remember correctly, cause we emailed them about it when I bought Dragon frame. And I remember I could use it for jobs later on (and I have).

Hope that helps
OsomStudios

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

rioforce wrote:
DarkHoundIV wrote:

If you are attending school though then you can apply for the student discount for Dragonframe. I did that recently and it save me a lot of money so look into that.

But the only problem with that is that it's a non-commercial license (which a lot of people simply think that only applies to businesses not being able to use the product, but actually, it means you ought not put ads on your videos either because then the video is technically a "commercial" product). In the long run, I'd definitely say buy DF if you're gonna get it, because with the student discount, you'll have to buy it again in the future if you want to make money off your videos (either in ad revenue or making stuff for clients).

But, as for the topic question at hand: I tried AnimaShooter trial, and it wouldn't even open on my computer. Not sure why, could be my computer. I'd love to hear if anyone else actually got it to open. For a long time there, I used a free camera tethering software called DigiCamControl. It's no animation program, but it takes pictures and has a bit of live view. I think it added some onion skinning too. Might wanna check that out.

You didn't specific Mac or PC, so  if you're on a Mac, there are a few free capture options on the Free Software List (but I've never tested them out of course since I'm a PC guy).

Sorry for not clarifying: I use PC.
I just downloaded the Animashooter free trial, so I'll see how it goes.
Does DigicamControl take pictures or just screengrabs of the camera's live feed? If could do that, I'd definately look into that.

And thanks to everyone else who's made suggestions. :)

YouTube

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

Does DigicamControl take pictures or just screengrabs of the camera's live feed? If could do that, I'd definately look into that.

Since DigiCam is a tethering program, it actually uses the camera's shutter to take the photos. If AnimaShooter doesn't work, you should look into it, but don't go in with hopes too high. mini/wink

YouTubeWebsite

rioforce wrote:
FeinsteinFilms wrote:

Since DigiCam is a tethering program, it actually uses the camera's shutter to take the photos. If AnimaShooter doesn't work, you should look into it, but don't go in with hopes too high. mini/wink

Immediately forgetting what you just said, I went in with high hopes, but wasn't disappointed. I'll need to run through a little more testing, but I think DigicamControl will fulfill my current needs.

I did manage to open the Animashooter free trial, but I got a message saying that I needed to get an activation code to connect my camera - in a free trial! I didn't bother...I will say, though, the interface does look clean and it seems to have a decent amount of features.

However, since DigicamControl will suit my needs (and is free!), I'll just save my money and put it toward other uses.

Also, does Dragonframe tether your camera or take from the live feed? I had always assumed the former, but I saw something in the FAQ about the live view that confused me (about why the recommend Canon cameras vs. Nikon because it has a higher resolution live feed). With all the information you guys are giving me, I think I'm in way over my head (don't stop, though, it's helpful!).

YouTube

FeinsteinFilms wrote:

However, since DigicamControl will suit my needs (and is free!), I'll just save my money and put it toward other uses.

Also, does Dragonframe tether your camera or take from the live feed? I had always assumed the former, but I saw something in the FAQ about the live view that confused me (about why the recommend Canon cameras vs. Nikon because it has a higher resolution live feed). With all the information you guys are giving me, I think I'm in way over my head (don't stop, though, it's helpful!).

Well I'm glad DigiCam is working for you!

Dragonframe takes pictures with the camera shutter. It uses the live view, of course, for live view. With a webcam (which is another topic entirely), it of course just takes a snapshot right out of the live view. But for DSLRs, it uses the shutter to make for some pretty photos. DSLR live view streaming doesn't look that great and can be grainy. Canon does have a higher res live view from what I've read (can't confirm it though), and that helps when animators are trying to get things in focus and junk. But yeah, it uses the shutter (I think I'm redundant now mini/tongue )!

YouTubeWebsite