Topic: Sony Movie Studio 13

I really, really need a new editing program, since Pinnacle Studio is frustratingly unstable. Movie Studio Platinum seems like the best fit for me and my workflow (probably the Suite version since I'd love an audio program more reliable than audacity), but when messing around with the trial it crashed on me, and the little text boxes that appear when mousing over something flicker. The second problem doesn't really bother me since once I learn a program I tend to work to fast to read those things anyway, but since I'm switching software mainly for stability purposes (and to have more than 2 audio tracks) I wanted to know what people who use the program have to say about it's stability, since for all I know that crash was a total fluke. Thanks guys. mini/smile

Re: Sony Movie Studio 13

I have Sony Vegas 11, and have only occasionally had a render issue or two. (It's an easy-to-fix bug, don't worry.)
And I have had an issue or two when I used a bunch of the 'Legacy Text' effects, but haven't had that in some time.

It's a great program, and I highly recommend it.
But if 13's glitching, perhaps you could try an older version. I don't know how powerful/new your computer is, and it may be having issues with all the latest programming complexities. 

That being said, you mention Audacity problems, and I've never had one.

The issues I've had with audacity were on my old computer, I just got a new one, I should probably at least give it another chance. I don't think my computer is the problem, it's pretty darn well speced. I may look into version 12, see how that does.

If you haven't purchased Movie Studio yet, DON'T GET 13! Get version 12. Sony changed (dumbed down) so much stuff (mostly the interface) to make it easy for people with tablets, and it basically ruined it for desktop. I use 12 Platnium and it never crashes, and it's extremely easy to use because the interface is actually normal instead of blown up like 13's.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'm just going to throw out my two cents and suggest that you try all the free editing software out there. Smeagol recently posted about Da Vinci Resolve 11. There's also Lightworks, and Blender 3D has a video editing section that I feel could be pretty powerful, if you know how to use Blender.

"[It] was the theme song for the movie 2010 first contact." ~ A YouTuber on Also Sprach Zarathustra
CGI LEGO! Updated occasionally...

I have Resolve 11, and despite my computers above average specs, I can't get smooth playback. This is fine for color grading, but for editing animation I consider it a fatal flaw. I've tried Lightworks; it doesn't really work with my workflow and I hate the UI. I was unaware Blender had an editing section, I'll look into it; I'm doing pretty thorough research before I buy anything; when you become responsible for feeding yourself you start to look at money in a whole different way mini/tongue . This morning I found that B&H has a student price for Vegas Pro 13 edit of $150, so I'm going to look seriously into that and putting on my big kid editor pants.

I had a very problem with crashing when I first started using Movie Studio 13. Try downloading a lower version of the trial (e.g. If you have a 64 bit processor, get the 32 bit version of the program) and see if that helps. mini/smile

I got the movie studio platinum suite too, but considering the fact that I have been using Vegas for so long that I know the program like the back of my hand, Movie studio is more beginner style that it is confusing to get used to the layout and schematics of everything. The music and audio studio is the best part to me and I would just recommend Vegas instead  mini/smile

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

MotionHero2001 wrote:

I got the movie studio platinum suite too, but considering the fact that I have been using Vegas for so long that I know the program like the back of my hand, Movie studio is more beginner style that it is confusing to get used to the layout and schematics of everything. The music and audio studio is the best part to me and I would just recommend Vegas instead  mini/smile

You do realize that Vegas Pro is 600 dollars and up, right? Most people look into Movie Studio to avoid the high pricetag. It's just not practical for the average brickfilmer.

Last edited by rioforce (June 20, 2015 (06:39pm))

YouTubeWebsite

rioforce wrote:
MotionHero2001 wrote:

You do realize that Vegas Pro is 600 dollars and up, right? Most people look into Movie Studio to avoid the high pricetag. It's just not practical for the average brickfilmer.

Yeah, but when it comes to the quality of the films and the amount of the things that come including chroma keying and more, Vegas is superior to movie studio. I'll admit, in the platnum suite, the music and audio studio is great but for the editing portion of it all, Sony Vegas is great. But that's just my opinion and I don't want to start a debate or anything.  mini/smile

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

If you're going to lay out that kind of money, might as well make the switch to Adobe stuff.
Or at least, that's the recommendation that I've heard.

And to specify, I have the Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum Suite 11.
Got it on sale for around $35, and it's great. Handles all my editing needs. And while it can't do any fancy effects, it's fairly surprising what all you can do once you figure it out. I'd highly recommend it to any beginners, and anybody that's looking to spend anything less than whatever Adobe and all the similar big names charge for theirs.

I never saw Vegas studio for $600.  That seems very high!

https://vimeo.com/channels/holdingourown      http://holding-our-own.tumblr.com

"None practice tolerance less frequently than those who most loudly preach it."

Vegas Pro is $600, but it is also a full professional editing program designed to be used by film professionals editing for broadcast or other professional forms of distribution. It has specific features to aid editing for television. However, for most of the people on this site, there are student prices available. The edit version is available for $150 for students, and is only missing features that I know I personally will never use. I'm going to edit a short on the trial to see how it works for me. It seems like a really good opportunity to learn using more professional software without spending a huge of amount of money.

Since it's been 20 days I'm going to double post.

I edited the short I just released, Backpack, on the trial of Vegas Pro 13, to determine if it worked for me and the way that I edit. I have now purchased Vegas Pro 13 Edit at the student price. Although the professional set of editing tools will take some time to get used to, the amount of control over the footage that those tools gives is amazing, and I can't believe I waited so long to upgrade. Vegas Pro gives me smooth playback in preview, an area a lot of programs seem to fall short on, and the unlimited audio tracks feel like manna from heaven after working with only two tracks for years. It's also worth noting I haven't been experiencing the weird performance issues I had with the Movie Studio 13 trial. I would strongly encourage those who qualify as students (and I believe teachers as well) to consider this option when looking for a more professional editor. It does everything I'm ever going to need editing software to do, even well into the future, and the one time (pretty darn low) payment is a huge plus for someone like me who knows they're going to be living on a pretty tight budget for the next several years.

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/294/19545823601_3e9230029b_z.jpg

I've decided to switch off of Vegas Pro and no longer recommend it. Over the last several projects I've worked on, I've encountered an unacceptable number of critical bug. At moment I think I've fixed them all, but I'm not sure. I'll try one fix, it will work for a little, but then the problem will come back, and the cycle will continue. Sometimes I can recover my work, but often I can't. I almost didn't finish the last THAC because of Vegas crashing multiple times, and I've lost many hours of work over the last year. I'm at the point where even if Vegas Pro worked the way it should from now until the end of time, I would still never be able to trust it. Maybe version 14 will be better, but until then I need to start using something else.

I think I'm going to switch to Premiere elements until I can just afford to pay for CC. I've been messing around with the trial, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has pretty much all of the functionality I used in Vegas Pro, just hidden behind a somewhat clumsy UI that's supposedly "easier" to use, and the render times are a little slow. But that's a price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind that I'm not going to lose all my work to a bug.

This issue is part of the reason I haven't released anything in awhile, and I'm frustrated to a point where I just need to move on.

backyardlegos wrote:

I've decided to switch off of Vegas Pro and no longer recommend it. Over the last several projects I've worked on, I've encountered an unacceptable number of critical bug. At moment I think I've fixed them all, but I'm not sure. I'll try one fix, it will work for a little, but then the problem will come back, and the cycle will continue. Sometimes I can recover my work, but often I can't. I almost didn't finish the last THAC because of Vegas crashing multiple times, and I've lost many hours of work over the last year. I'm at the point where even if Vegas Pro worked the way it should from now until the end of time, I would still never be able to trust it. Maybe version 14 will be better, but until then I need to start using something else.

I think I'm going to switch to Premiere elements until I can just afford to pay for CC. I've been messing around with the trial, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it has pretty much all of the functionality I used in Vegas Pro, just hidden behind a somewhat clumsy UI that's supposedly "easier" to use, and the render times are a little slow. But that's a price I'm willing to pay for peace of mind that I'm not going to lose all my work to a bug.

Sorry to hear that Backyard, I too have moved on from Vegas into a premiere suite that I got in a master collection. It definitely did become a hassle to get past all of the critical bugs, I figured that out not that long after you posted before. Glad to see that you enjoy the new program though. Hopefully things do go well for the both of us in the long run with Adobe.

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

Wow glad I read this! I'm looking to buy a new editing program and Vegas pro 13 was what I was planning to buy. Right now I'm using movie studio 9 as well as magix edit pro 14. I too have have random crashes with playback when alot of effects are in the scene using movie studio 9. Adobe would be ideal but I don't wanna pay a monthly bill for a program I'd rather buy it and own it. With movie studio I only film 1 min in each session and then render it and then render them all together in the end. However maybe I'll look to Vegas 12?

Blissfilm_Productions wrote:

Wow glad I read this! I'm looking to buy a new editing program and Vegas pro 13 was what I was planning to buy. Right now I'm using movie studio 9 as well as magix edit pro 14. I too have have random crashes with playback when alot of effects are in the scene using movie studio 9. Adobe would be ideal but I don't wanna pay a monthly bill for a program I'd rather buy it and own it. With movie studio I only film 1 min in each session and then render it and then render them all together in the end. However maybe I'll look to Vegas 12?

I don't know, If Sony left that amount of bugs on 13, I wouldn't want to know how many uncorrected ones on 12 there would be, there are many other alternatives to paying the monthly bill. I was lucky enough to get the version before creative cloud, maybe you could find a code online that does the same. If that doesn't work then there are other forms...

I HAVE RETURNED!!!
Youtube
PunBB bbcode test

I like Sony Movie Studio (as I said earlier in the topic). If you get any, get 12 or 14. MAGIX bought Vegas so now it's just called Vegas Movie Studio 14. They fixed the UI it seems (in contrast to the tablet-type huge icons UI they had in 13). I haven't used the newest, but it looks pretty good. Otherwise get premiere elements. I haven't used that either, though, it just seems like a good equivalent to Movie Studio.

Sure, there are a few bugs in version 12, but I haven't noticed anything huge. It's a bit limited in effects, but in linear editing, it does its job really well.

YouTubeWebsite