Re: The Animation Challenge

Pritchard Studios wrote:

So, the next challenge is...
Playing a Board Game
Ever wonder how Lego minifigures play checkers, or chess? Ever think about what they would look look like playing spoons? Well, now is your chance to find out for yourself!
Deadline: Saturday, June 4th

Yeah, it's a broader category, but I think it could lend itself to some really cool shots. And sometimes, it is these tiny, precise movements that present the best challenge, and the greatest reward when finished.

That sounds interesting, but unfortunately I found it too late... mini/blankexpression
If I win, I'll host something similar to that.

rioforce wrote:
Raptor Studios wrote:

I made an animation last year that would be relevant to dancing. I never have publicly released it if you are thinking of my gummy bear animation. This is a different one. Could I enter it to this challenge legally?

If it's not a brickfilm, then no. But unreleased animations are just fine for the Animation Challenge.

Thanks for clearing this up rio. mini/smile  I don't particularly feel very good about this one because I made it a whole year ago and the quality is very bad, along with the choppy frame rate of 10fps. I thought I should enter it anyway because I can't make a new dancing animation because I am too busy with mixels episode 3. Here it is anyway, the secret test footage of the gummy bear animation, which started everything for me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2r4RD … sp=sharing

Last edited by Raptor Studios (September 20, 2016 (09:03am))

Here's my late entry. I didn't notice the deadline until today, and, as a result, uploaded it to late. Figured I'd upload it anyway just so you guys could see it. Hope you all enjoy, and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpk_xBG_V50

Well, I actually find this quite difficult to chose, but seeing as I can only name one winner, the winner of this week's contest is....

Raptor Studios
To be honest, the animation isn't that good. I understand that you did this quite a long time ago and that you've improved a lot as an animator. But there are some really cool dance movements in this short little film. I could go on about the animation, but seeing as this is a contest about dancing, I'll just focus on the dancing - Although not perfect, I really like how all 3 figures are in sync with each other. When they move their heads up and down, I really like that especially. If you only had one minifigure, I don't think it would have been as good, but when you have a dance group, all dancing at the same time, it really works, and that's something I've noticed while animating dance groups in the past - Even if the movement of the dance isn't all that impressive, if you suddenly have a group of dancers all doing the same thing, it looks a lot better. There are a few things you could have improved on, like when they turned to the left or right and all moved one direction. There was no leg movement there, and if you had them all moving their legs up and down at the same time, that would have looked really good. Overall, you did a decent job!

Shawarma Studios
If I was judging solely on animation, you probably would have won. I really liked the animation. It was lively, funny, quite smooth, and overall pretty nice to look at. As for the dancing, well, there wasn't really much of that. Maybe if you didn't have the majority of the film with a close up of him, and showed his legs, it would have been better. I really liked it, though, so good job!

Didn't get a big turnout this time. I'm glad Shawarma did enter as well, so there actually was a competition. I can understand why this contest wasn't a big thing - I think dancing is a very hard thing to do in brickfilm form. I don't really know that many people who do it, because it's really hard. So, good job to the both of you. It's not an easy thing to animate, but you both executed it well!

Thank you for hosting this challenge William!
Hopefully this time we will get more entries.

The theme is: Racing

This can be any kind of racing you want. It can be a car race, a running race, any kind of race you can think of. The deadline for entries is on 10/3/2016, and I will hopefully give the results the day after. Good luck everyone!

I can't help but feel that "racing" in and of itself is really too broad a theme. Say hypothetically that one entry features a minifig sprinting, while another involves race cars tearing up the track. It would be virtually impossible to fairly compare and judge between the two. I suggest that you pick a more specific theme or narrow the current one down to one particular type of racing.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Brickcrazy wrote:

I can't help but feel that "racing" in and of itself is really too broad a theme. Say hypothetically that one entry features a minifig sprinting, while another involves race cars tearing up the track. It would be virtually impossible to fairly compare and judge between the two. I suggest that you pick a more specific theme or narrow the current one down to one particular type of racing.

I second this. Let's try to keep the challenges more specific and actually challenging.

Just to quote the topic post:

Nathan Wells wrote:

The theme should be challenging (so no basic walk cycles) but also possible to make in stop-motion by a typical brickfilmer (no battle scenes with 50 figures).

Not that "racing" can't be challenging, but such a broad thing can have so much interpretation that it's not challenging whatsoever. If you selected a different theme instead of simply narrowing down racing to something more specific, I'd suggest actual animation techniques or hard things (brick-water, zero-gravity, etc etc etc) instead of just simple actions (racing, swimming, dancing, etc etc etc).

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I'd suggest maybe making this theme mostly about running. I notice that a lot of people struggle with getting the run cycle right.

Ok. Whoops, I messed up yet again. mini/tongue  Ok, the new challenge is: Wind

What do you think wind would do to change it's surroundings? In this challenge, you can make wind blow objects into different positions and anything relevant to wind. The deadline is the same as posted before 10/3/2016
Sorry again for choosing a not so great challenge. Hopefully this is what you guys are looking for.

Edit: Please let me know if you think I picked a good challenge this time.

Last edited by Raptor Studios (September 25, 2016 (01:18pm))

Ooooh, this theme may possibly be some useful practice for my next brickfilm. I'll try to enter if I can.

Is it okay to add some VFX like snow or rain?

Yes, VFX is allowed, but it's usually best not to overdo it and just let the animation itself shine.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I couldn't resist submitting some old footage that I made last year with a view to making a music video parody of Selena Gomez track 'Good For You'  I know it's an old joke now, but it does sound like she's singing slightly different lyrics to "I'm Fourteen Carat" which makes this little piece of footage perfect for a Wind theme..............Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/YjiD-4ywoI8

DNAnimation

Hopefully I'm not too late entering this. Ended up losing track of time. Full disclaimer: this is actually a short clip from my unreleased and failed BRAWL entry, but it fits the theme so I figured I'd enter it. I had originally intended to make something new specifically for the challenge but again, lost track of time.

My Entry

Thanks for entering guys! I am glad we managed to have two entries this time. And the winner is...............

Brickcrazy
This was really well done. I liked the shaking of the paper to make it look like wind was blowing it and it looked so real.
Amazing job! The movement is so good as the newspaper shook around and then eventually rolled. Thanks for entering!

legodave1
This was fun to watch. You did a nice job with the carrots moving around, and I like the movement. Thanks for entering the challenge!

Take it away Brickcrazy!

Thanks Raptor Studios!

As most of you have probably already noticed, attendance in this challenge has been rather lacking for quite some time. Thus, I'm gonna do a couple things slightly different this time around. Please note that these are expected to be one time changes and the winner is in no way obligated to follow suit.

The winner will receive one random, unopened Series 16 Collectible Minifigure. Unfortunately, due to the logistics of international shipping, only US residents will be eligible to receive this prize. Nevertheless, please don't let this discourage those of you outside the US from participating. After all, the whole point of the animation challenge is to have fun and improve our skills as animators! Also, in addition to the previous experiment, I am also extending the length of this challenge to two weeks.

All Hallows' Eve is only a few weeks away. In spirit of the season, this week's animation challenge is Digging a Grave! Should be pretty self explanatory. So what are you waiting for? Grab your best shovel or pick and a handy nearby corpse and get to work! I hope to see a good turnout. The deadline for entries is Monday, October 17

Awesome theme! I'm gonna get started right now!

Nice theme! I really probably have to try hard this time, because there is sure to be more entries as there is a prize! Anyways, this should be really fun.

Gonna have to clean up my animation table so I can enter this! mini/lol

Batmanjpd Entertainment

I probably would enter, but my camera went kaput so it might be a while before i do more animating. mini/confused