Topic: Bourne's Visit to Naples [TEST]

Here's the link,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L54h6ZVZvB8

A Test. Bourne's friendly visit to Naples.

The Bourne Supremacy is property of Universal Pictures (Universal Studios)

Re: Bourne's Visit to Naples [TEST]

Howdy RemnantMedia! Just noticed that no one ever commented on this, so I figure I might as well.

First off, I really like the framing, as well as your use of depth of field. Animation is also very nice as well. Even the subtlest movements are pulled off very smoothly, giving the characters a realistic and lifelike quality. The motion blur during the scuffle also fits rather well imo.

However, I must admit that I'm honestly not a huge fan of the shaky cam effect.  In moderation it can add a unique and interesting look, but to me in this case it just feels too overdone and basically has a dizzying quality more than anything. Also, the movements carry over from shot to shot, which takes away from the realism quite a bit and makes it rather easy to tell that the effect was done in post.

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Thanks for they reply Brickcrazy.

Sorry for the very delayed response. I agree the shaky camera is overdone, but its that way in the actual movie. Yep, the dizzying is defiantly there, but again, its that way in real film. If you turned on the tv and saw only the length of this test of the movie, you would have no idea whats going on, what the environment is, or why he's punching these guys. You are flat out disorientated.

As to the topic of the camera movements, the actual movements were achieved in reality. Only the subtle camera shake was done in post-production. And...I can't see either type carrying over from shot to shot. mini/confused

But! This is a test! And as such is not held to as high quality standards as our films. Thats why if you look closely you can see flickers of black pixels.

Again, thank you very much for your reply.

Last edited by RemnantMedia (November 25, 2016 (05:20pm))

Just watched the side-by-side. While the shake is there in the original movie scene, it's far more subtle and natural, giving it a less dizzying quality. In fact, I noticed that your film in the side-by-side version lacks the artificial shake entirely, and I rather preferred it. Plus I've noticed the same shake effect throughout much of your most recent of the Bedzin episodes (which are really quite well made btw), and it felt a bit extravagant and overused there as well imho.

As to the shake carrying over from shot to shot, I could always be wrong, but it still looks that way to my eyes, as if the shake effect were applied to the entire video track instead of each individual clip. The shake in your film moves more or less in pretty discernible circular arcs. If you watch closely, you can see the arc carry through from shot to shot.

Anywho, I understand it's just a test, but I figured since you posted it here you wanted input. Everything else was extremely well done I thought, including the actual camera movements. My only minor gripe was the post effect shake. I totally get that it's your film and your vision, that was just my humble two bits on the matter mini/wink

YouTube  |  Flickr  |  Twitter

Thanks! We really appreciate your complements and your critiques. As we produce more content we are going to try to be varied in both story and cinematography.

Thank you very much, we always love hearing from our audience! If you haven't voted in the poll on this video, be sure to!