Topic: How to keep tripod still on carpet?

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum) I've had some issues with camera shake while animating with my t3i on a tripod on carpet even with remote capture. I've tried weighing down the tripod with 15 pounds but that still produces some shake if I'm not extremely careful. Any suggestions on fixes would be highly appreciated, thanks!

Re: How to keep tripod still on carpet?

This may not be feasible or practical for everyone, but what I do is use the spikes on my tripod (instead of the rubber feet) which will go down through the carpet and rest on the (particle board) floor below.

An alternative method would be to try books or something else hard under the tripod feet to spread out the weight over a larger area, or even better a board big enough to go under all the tripod feet with a weight on it.

Another thing you can do is make sure that your feet are in the same position when you take each picture, as the floor flexing can introduce shake as well.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

What kind of tripod do you have? A flimsy tripod tends to wobble a lot more, especially at the top. (I had this issue before with a tripod, and weighing down the legs didn't help anything at all).

And what kind of carpet do you have? Is it padded fluffy carpet, or just a rug on a floor?

This information will help us solve your issue more easily. Also, if you have a picture of your setup, that might help too. mini/smile

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

We would say, just shoot without a tripod as much as possible, holding the camera down with some sort of clay. We've been shooting for years and thus far haven't found a solution to that problem.

I have to partially disagree with you Remnant. I've used a tripod for years and the few times that I do put the camera on the table, I always find too many issues and limitations.  Tripods have a LOT of freedom in every axis and shooting without one is so very limiting.

However, if push comes to shove, set the camera on the table and secure it with tac. I know many people who do this, and it does work well for a lot of general camera angles (though, it's definitely not my go-to-choice for camera setup because of the many many limitations).

Alternatively, you could build a mini tabletop to go on top of your table and put your tripod on your main table and your set on the mini table or even set a shorter table or stand below your table and set a mini-tripod on that.

YouTubeWebsite

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

rioforce wrote:

Alternatively, you could build a mini tabletop to go on top of your table and put your tripod on your main table and your set on the mini table or even set a shorter table or stand below your table and set a mini-tripod on that.

I never really thought of setting up everything on my desk like that, I might have to try it. I think a big problem is that I have a cheap old tripod from walmart that is probably not helped by my fluffy carpet all over my room. Do have any recommendations for a tripod? I have been planning to get a new one but I don't even know where to start mini/bigsmile

awesomeoptimus wrote:

Thanks for your suggestions guys.

rioforce wrote:

I never really thought of setting up everything on my desk like that, I might have to try it. I think a big problem is that I have a cheap old tripod from walmart that is probably not helped by my fluffy carpet all over my room. Do have any recommendations for a tripod? I have been planning to get a new one but I don't even know where to start mini/bigsmile

Glad I could help!

Recommendations definitely depend on your budget. But for around 50 or so-ish dollars, I'd say go look up the Bogen 3001 (or just a similar set of Bogen/Manfrotto/Other Brand heavy tripod legs that INCLUDE a head). Those are the tripod legs I use (even though I have a wildly expensive head for my tripod, the stock head will do just fine) and they are heavy and I haven't had any problem. Of course, you still may need to weight them down, but they are so sturdy that they should be a lot more easier to make stable.

EDIT: To clarify, there are plenty of types of heavy tripod legs similar to the Bogen 3001 on eBay. I just don't know much about them, and took the chance on the 3001 a few months ago after finding a listing and found it was a very good tripod. So just look around, there may be similar models for cheaper an better condition. Just remember that not all Bogen or Manfrotto legs are heavy duty. A lot are light and flimsy, especially the newer ones (since they are often made for portability). Good luck!

Last edited by rioforce (December 9, 2016 (07:44pm))

YouTubeWebsite