Topic: Glen Hansard on Staying Open - Kinetic Typography

Glen Hansard on Staying Open - Kinetic Typography

YouTube

Started this as the final for a motion graphics class I took last semester, but finally got around to finishing it all up just yesterday.

Re: Glen Hansard on Staying Open - Kinetic Typography

The pacing is so good. I'm unable to pick up any flaws in it (because I have no experience with this type of filmmaking).
What I liked the most was how you did the stutters.
How does the process of making kinetic typography differ from stop motion? Are there any techniques that you used in stop motion animation and have carried into this piece? Could you also link to some kinetic typography videos that you would have referred to when making this?

Youtube

my dad doesn't want me to brickfilm on because it's his computer, but he's not home right now at the moment.
-FilmyGuy1

I like it!

The second half did this pretty well, but for the first part I would suggest having slightly longer sections where the "camera" isn't moving so much (it helps you maintain focus, which can be a bit hard with constant shake/text transformation/etc.). Other than that, it looked great. mini/wink

Thanks for the comments! I'm really glad you liked the stutters, Kd2000, as those were the parts that I was most excited about when I made it.

Kd2000 wrote:

How does the process of making kinetic typography differ from stop motion?

Well, you have a lot more control over all of the timing, and in general it's all just a lot easier to do than stop motion because it's all in the computer. Also, since I usually animate stuff that exists in real life with stop motion (like people), it's definitely a lot different to animate something as simple as text that doesn't really have any rules to how it can move.

Are there any techniques that you used in stop motion animation and have carried into this piece?

Easing in and easing out is probably the main one I transferred over when I started using After Effects, but honestly, I think working with motion graphics taught me more about stop motion than vice versa. Being able to see the curves in the After Effects timeline really helped to clarify the principles that aren't as visible in straight-ahead, frame by frame animation, and seeing how simple offsetting of key frames can make animations way more interesting helped solidify the principle of overlapping actions.

Could you also link to some kinetic typography videos that you would have referred to when making this?

There were a lot of videos I looked at when making this, but here are a few examples that inspired me: "Karloff", "Ira Glass on Storytelling", "From Paper to Screen", and "Tim Did It". I'm also a big fan of the way the Nerdwriter animates text, and I think he was a big inspiration for a lot of the movement here. (Just a disclaimer - not all of his videos are super clean.)

Mighty Wanderer wrote:

The second half did this pretty well, but for the first part I would suggest having slightly longer sections where the "camera" isn't moving so much (it helps you maintain focus, which can be a bit hard with constant shake/text transformation/etc.).

I definitely agree. I think making sure things don't get too hectic is one of the main things I learned from this project, and if I ever make another kinetic typography piece, I'll have to plan it out with this in mind. The reason I didn't really try to fix that problem for this video is that I'd been working on it for a while and I kinda just wanted to call it quits and release it, taking what I've learned from it for my next project.

Also, I tweeted this at Sam Jones, the guy who does the podcast that the audio is from, and he tweeted about it! mini/bigsmile