Topic: Emmet's JackHammer

Directory Link

Emmet's JackHammer

Vimeo Link
Youtube Link

2nd stop motion I did with my Son Micah. Even Mom and little bro Jordan got involved. He wants to do a series of shorts of minifigures with their accessories. Found a bucket of Legos and a few dimensions packs at a great price at a swapmeet. These little projects are really helping us out, we just moved across the country from Jersey to California. Kids lost their entire Lego collection and all their toys due to a fire but now I am not only motivated to get their collection back to what it was but also dedicated to playing with them using stop motion. This last project was alot of fun and I am super proud of how my son and I were able to put this together. We all worked great as a team. We received great reviews from the grandparents, aunts and uncles. We would love to receive some critique from the Bricks in Motion community who aren't related to us lol. My son reads very well and is looking forward to hear where we can improve.

Re: Emmet's JackHammer

You'll need to post a link. mini/smile

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

Click the directory link

MachoCamacho, it looks like there's some kind of problem with the directory submission at the moment so the links aren't showing up for non-admins. I've updated the first post to add them while we try to fix the issue.

Well MachoCamacho, it is good to see that your whole family is enjoying you and your son's animations! The first thing I suggest is keep animating! The best way to learn how to animate stop-motion, is by doing it. And I think a series of animations using minifigures and their accessories is a great way to practice.

I can already see a massive improvement from your first animation to this one. The globe turning at the start of your film is a good example. You took more pictures of the globe turning, so its movement in the animation was much smoother this time. I also like how you used the different faces for Emmet as well.

The second best way to learn how to animate is by watching other animations. I suggest watching other stop-motion, and even cartoons. Try watching pieces of animation on youtube at really slow speeds and see how they animated the characters for slow movements and fast movements. I'm sure you noticed when you made the globe-turn animation that the more pictures you took, the smoother it moved on screen, and likewise when Emmet uses the jackhammer, his hopping all over the place felt right because jackhammers move quickly.

One suggestion I have to help smooth things out for you, is putting your camera on a tri-pod, or some sort of fixed spot to hold it in place. Even building a Lego frame to hold the camera in place can work. Then, when you move the camera, it can be on purpose, rather than accidental "camera bumps".

Here's a pretty good "how-to" video by one of my favorite BiM animators, ForlornCreature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUH2dEqNOfE

And here's a short video of his that I really like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLJnf-NSnk

Happy Animating!

http://orig13.deviantart.net/3968/f/2017/197/d/c/faaf_logo_4_1_by_orignl_ninja_knight-dbglsld.png

nswihart wrote:

Well MachoCamacho, it is good to see that your whole family is enjoying you and your son's animations! The first thing I suggest is keep animating! The best way to learn how to animate stop-motion, is by doing it. And I think a series of animations using minifigures and their accessories is a great way to practice.

I can already see a massive improvement from your first animation to this one. The globe turning at the start of your film is a good example. You took more pictures of the globe turning, so its movement in the animation was much smoother this time. I also like how you used the different faces for Emmet as well.

The second best way to learn how to animate is by watching other animations. I suggest watching other stop-motion, and even cartoons. Try watching pieces of animation on youtube at really slow speeds and see how they animated the characters for slow movements and fast movements. I'm sure you noticed when you made the globe-turn animation that the more pictures you took, the smoother it moved on screen, and likewise when Emmet uses the jackhammer, his hopping all over the place felt right because jackhammers move quickly.

One suggestion I have to help smooth things out for you, is putting your camera on a tri-pod, or some sort of fixed spot to hold it in place. Even building a Lego frame to hold the camera in place can work. Then, when you move the camera, it can be on purpose, rather than accidental "camera bumps".

Here's a pretty good "how-to" video by one of my favorite BiM animators, ForlornCreature:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUH2dEqNOfE

And here's a short video of his that I really like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdLJnf-NSnk

Happy Animating!

Thanks for the love. The feedback was great. We are really excited to continue animating and are currently working on another project to help my daughter with Counting 1 thru 5. Thanks to this video and the enthusiasm my son is showing with animation we are going to invest some money in some stuff to help our picture quality improve. Also I have a friend who is donating us a Canon xt3 with tripod and all. We also just found out their is a clay animation class not too far from our house which I'm going to enroll my son to help him improve his skills. We watched the videos you recommended and loved them. We will be uploading "Counting with Naomi" soon mini/wink thanks again for the love