Topic: Short Fight Sequence

I'm just trying to increase the quality of everything in my animations (lighting, animation, sound design, visual effects, etc).  Please be as brutal as possible with your feedback!  I would like absolutely everything to be picked apart so I can improve.  Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBZLCg1v-L8

Behind the scenes photos:
http://imgur.com/a/hDcrt

Last edited by Lego Stax (May 20, 2017 (03:55pm))

YouTube | I'm making music now. Have a listen. | Website

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.
Need a voice actor? Hit me up.

Re: Short Fight Sequence

I can say I'm definitely surprised with the skill level here. I like the realistic feel you achieved through, what I believe to be, post-production motion blur, I'm sure that was intentional. The animation is very smooth and the movements quite realistic.

I do feel that you should lengthen the 'build-up' to each punch. Extending the distance the arm swings back and forth for every punch will help add to the impact of the hit.
As for the throw into the wall, I feel the speed of the man flying through the air is great. However, the figure seemed to be able to easily toss him aside with only one hand which is obviously unrealistic, which I'm not sure you were going for. If you, like I mentioned before, extended his 'building up' to the throw and had him rotate his body more when he threw his opponent, it would look more natural. The speed at which the figure also bounces off the wall and rolls to the floor is also a tad too quick. If you hold the figure against the wall for an extra two/three frames, having his body express more of the impact before falling to the ground, I imagine it will look better.

LMDigitalMovies wrote:

-snip-

Thank you for criticism!
I even thought that the throwing animation (the stormtrooper in the air) itself was a bit too fast (though I wasn't going to reanimate that because it was already difficult and this is just test footage anyway; I would definitely reanimate if this was for an actual project).

Any thoughts on sound design?  Is there too much going on?  Does it fit well?

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.

In addition to what LMD said, I'd like to add that maybe the throw could have used a bit more arc.  The dark stormtrooper seems to be picked up, then dips down a bit, and the comes up again and stays at that level until he hits the wall.  Because a person is a pretty heavy object for another person to throw, it wouldn't have to be that dramatic.  Maybe just have a frame where he grabs the guy, picks him up a bit, throws him and he goes a little bit higher than before, and then he falls a bit before hitting the wall.

I think that sound design was pretty good.  The inclusion of the ambient sound at the beginning was nice.  The siren noise though was a bit much, but I was attributing that to whatever the clone trooper detonated before running over.

I was overall pretty impressed, and think you have a nice clip here.  Maybe just slow things down a tad.  I'll have to keep an eye out for your next project.

Greenshirt wrote:

-snip-

Your critique is greatly appreciated!
When you said that the siren noise is "a bit much", did you mean that it was too loud and seems to overpower some of the other sounds?  Or that it shouldn't have been there at all?

It seemed too loud, a bit over the top, but I guess there could be a practical reason to have the sound.  If it isn't coming from something in the environment, quieter music would have worked better.

LMDigitalMovies wrote:

I do feel that you should lengthen the 'build-up' to each punch. Extending the distance the arm swings back and forth for every punch will help add to the impact of the hit..

Not sure I agree, the sound effects suggest just quick little jab punches. I thought it looked great.

Lego Stax wrote:

I even thought that the throwing animation (the stormtrooper in the air) itself was a bit too fast

This was the one thing not lookin' quite right, but not bad at all by any means. I loved the follow up close up shot with the gun.

Life is like a box of LEGO, you never know what you're gonna build. - mrgraff

It really looks great. You've got good pacing in this.

The only thing is, the punches don't seem to have much impact. I don't think it's in the arm, it looks more to be in the reaction of the guy. It's like he's punching a punching back lightly or joke punching a dude at the gym. It just doesn't look like it hurts.

As for the throwing, it needs more weight. The stromtrooper lifted the guy way too easily, especially if he's supposed to be human-weight. I feel like he flew a bit too fast too, as the others said. Give the guy some dead-weight and make the stormtrooper struggle a bit and it'd be more realistic.

Of course, this assumes that the stormtrooper isn't a superhuman dude. Then it'd be different.

Keep up the great work! Very impressive stuff you have here.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

rioforce wrote:

-snip-

Thank you, and everyone else, for your feedback!

I'll work more on these things and (time allowing) have more test footage in the next few weeks.

The animation is very good, although when the guy gets thrown against the wall, somethings to make it look a little unrealistic. Perhaps if you did some more easing in and out then it would look better? Just a thought. Anyway I hope you continue to make a lot more brickfilms like this in the future! mini/bigsmile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

This is amazing! It looks just like live action! I think although people are saying it's not realistic, I belive the problem is that it looks TOO realistic!

Perhaps similar to the way animation from rotoscoped live action tends to feel weightless? Early Max Fleischer and other animated studios traced over live actors either as a stylistic choice (in the case of Gulliver) and often times for budget: even Disney's Snow White included rotoscoped segments, mostly with the Prince, although much of that was re-animated by hand for the theatrical re-releases in the 1940s since they were unhappy with the results, so good luck finding it. As Brad Bird paraphrased many a great animator, the purpose of animation is not to recreate life, but to distill it, finding only the essence of what gives something life and personality, and discarding the elements that don't tell the story.

Most of the criticisms I'm seeing here (stronger anticipations, arcs, weight, timing, etc.) aren't problematic.... in the world of live action. Live action isn't always clear, and life, unlike fiction, doesn't always have meaning or purpose. One of the 12 principles of animation, appeal, can be applied to the other 11 principles. How does each principle (each pose, each movement, each frame) tell the audience something in a broad, clear manner?

This is kind of vague theoretical stuff, but something I enjoy thinking about, and something that each of us approach differently which is what gives us our own unique voices.

I suppose if I had to pick one thing to focus on, I would say clear, strong anticipation poses, and strong follow through. The action itself can go by in a whiz, because it's what happens before the action and after that really tell us what happened.

Excellent work, keep it up!

Last edited by thistof (March 24, 2017 (01:44am))

https://bricksafe.com/files/thistof/hillbillyheist/TofAnimation.png

Lego Figure Productions wrote:

-snip-

Yeah, there needs to be more easing in at the beginning for sure.  I sure plan on making more!

thistof wrote:

-snip-

Thank you for your compliments!  However, I do believe it could look more "realistic", as "realistic" as inanimate moving objects can look mini/lol Regardless, I've never heard of this other stuff you brought to light.  I'll have to check it out. mini/smile

How did you do the motion blur? it was awesome!

STOPandMOTION wrote:

How did you do the motion blur? it was awesome!

It's a plugin in After Effects called CC Force Motion Blur.  It does pretty much everything for you.  You only have to know the shutter angle of your camera (though I leave that setting at 180 degrees).

I found free software called SlowmoVideo: https://github.com/slowmoVideo/slowmoVideo  It provides a relatively similar effect as After Effects.

Very smooth !
I sub.

Realistic movements and incredibly smooth animation. I would agree with the suggestion of additional easing. Nice visual effects! They blended in very seamlessly.

RedBrick1/LegoTrain587 | EXPANSE | A Brickfilm