Topic: Bad Animation Habits

This is just a general survey where people comment below any bad habits they have with any part of the process of making an animation (although I'm not going to allow 'can't be bothered to make an animation' as a bad habit! mini/bigsmile)

For me, probably the biggest problem I have is that if my remote camera ever turns itself off automatically and I am just about to start filming the next scene, then I won't bother using it, and often this situation repeats itself throughout the course of one animation, so I will film most of it without using my remote camera mini/rolleyes

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Re: Bad Animation Habits

not actually animating

Retribution (3rd place in BRAWL 2015)

&Smeagol      make the most of being surrounded by single, educated women your own age on a regular basis in college
AquaMorph    I dunno women are expensive

Lazily copy/pasting one frame.

William Osborne wrote:

I think that's a flaw in all of us mini/wink

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Lego Figure Productions wrote:
William Osborne wrote:

I think that's a flaw in all of us mini/wink

Agreed. And even when I do I tend to get little amount done because of this bad habit- checking previous time for a whole minute. mini/tongue

I forget to fasten down my sets and camera, leading to bumping things and having to completely start the shot over.
It's bad. I should have learned by now...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/StevieCollins/smiles/camerathing.gif

Pritchard Studios wrote:

I forget to fasten down my sets and camera, leading to bumping things and having to completely start the shot over.
It's bad. I should have learned by now...

That happened to me in my last animation. I had to redo a scene, which meant I failed to meet the contest deadline mini/sweat

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

Forgetting to move one character in a shot where you're animating more than one character.

UnknownBrick Films wrote:

Forgetting to move one character in a shot where you're animating more than one character.

DEFINITELY one of my fatal flaws!!!

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

UnknownBrick Films wrote:

Yea..........

This world is a dark place. One day I will see my Savior face to face.
My Youtube

I think I'm guilty of all of these at one time or another,
Another thing I do is forget to double check my camera settings leading to flicker, color shift, or worse. mini/sad
I just had to re-shoot a scene because I just set the exposure to the camera's meter without checking it, only to get into my software and find out that the higlights were completly blown out.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B-S9Gk-8REITRVJVQXVwZkdBRk0
“But the enterprise in which I’m about to embark on is fraught with imminent peril.”

Forgetting to lock the aperture at anything less than maximum width...

Procrastinating

Bumping the tripod right at the end of a scene...

YouTube

"If you find a fork in the road, take it." - Yogi Berra

This has been happening to me recently: I'll catch minor mistakes in my animations and tell myself that I'll just fix it in post. I spent too much time during THAC in post because I kept trying to fix things.

jasper wrote:

This has been happening to me recently: I'll catch minor mistakes in my animations and tell myself that I'll just fix it in post.

Totally did this a few times on the film I'm working on right now. It's a product of having very limited time with my LEGO collection to film and as much time as I need to work on post, but I really don't like it. I also have a habit of focusing in to much on one aspect of a shot. Like one shot will have really nice composition, but the exposure will be off, then the next will be the other way around. Sort of a not seeing the forest for the trees kind of situation.

I am sadly guilty of almost all the bad habits in this thread...
Apart from the ones already mentioned, one of my biggest problems is leaving sticky tack littering my sets, often after characters move. It just sort of trails behind them, and I don't feel like removing it.

YouTube | Twitter | Brick à Brack | Discord @ Undershadow#9982
   -- If a frame were worth a dollar, I'd be a millionaire by now --

Me, oh gosh. I would say of course bumping the set and just delete the frames after the camera bump and copying the last frame.

Being lazy about moving characters when they talk.

Too lazy to clean off my table when I am done animating, but I just recently cleaned off my table. Lets see how long that lasts. mini/lol

In the past, bumping the webcam was a big problem for me. In some cases, it was impossible to put exactly where it
was. So I created a rig for it that could attach to the base plate.

forgetting to keep my hands out of the reflection of the window or glass door.

STOPandMOTION wrote:

forgetting to keep my hands out of the reflection of the window or glass door.

Ahhh yes especially with dark grey bricks, they're so reflective and it's really annoying mini/madhead

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?

I keep not inverting the arm and leg movements in walk cycles.  I did that today and messed up a big shot I was working on.