Topic: [SOLVED] - Simulated Motion Blur Questions

Recently, I've been hoping to move all of my work over to Linux in an attempt to ditch Windows.  So far, I have found free software for everything that I ever do on the computer.  But this is beside the point.

One of the things I like to do in my animations is add motion blur.  In After Effects, I would do this with applying CC Force Motion Blur and turning on Frame Blending.  Does anyone here know of a way I can do the same thing in Blender?  If not, is there anything you can point me to for developing my own script/plugin to accomplish this?

I've looked into the Vector Blur node, but it appears to only work by taking the movement data that's calculated from CGI in Blender upon render.  Are there any tricks I can do that would simulate motion blur from a stop-motion clip?

EDIT: see my post further down for an answer.

Last edited by Lego Stax (April 3, 2017 (10:46pm))

YouTube | I'm making music now. Have a listen. | Website

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.
Need a voice actor? Hit me up.

Re: [SOLVED] - Simulated Motion Blur Questions

I don't really have an answer for video files, but if you ever need motion blur for still images, any basic image editor should have a motion blur option. Though it's not Linux compatible, Paint.net, the software I use, has a very good motion blur interface. You just select the angle for the blur to happen, select the strength, and voila! Most image editors should have a similar feature. Hope this helps!

-Brickman

Brickman wrote:

-snip-

I appreciate the thought. mini/smile But I believe GIMP is capable of motion blur, and that is Linux compatible.

Currently on hiatus from making my own brickfilms. In the process of learning music production techniques.

For those who stumble upon this thread in the future, I answered my own question.
SlomoVideo is a great tool that runs on Windows, Linux, and macOS.  It offers a motion blur feature that is quite similar to AE's CC Force Motion Blur.  The two algorithms are nearly indistinguishable when your animation is played back.

SlowmoVideo can be found here: https://github.com/slowmoVideo/slowmoVideo

EDIT: Upon close scrutiny of said "motion blur" it really isn't spectacular.  It looks a bit more like frame blending than anything else.  I'll just stick to getting the ReelSmart Motion Blur plugin for Natron.

Last edited by Lego Stax (April 12, 2017 (06:54am))

Interesting. I might try it out mini/smile

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?