Topic: What tripod do you use? (and is it good?)

I'm looking into compiling an article for this site about tripod recommendations, and I wondered what y'all have worked with and what your experiences have been.

After using a very cheap, largely plastic velbon tripod that could not execute smooth pans and tilts for over a decade, I recently bought a couple of new pieces of gear in this department: a Q-666c Tripod, which I got for $125 on eBay (I see AliExpress has some lower prices on it but I've heard mixed-to-terrible things about buying from that site) and a Manfrotto 410 tripod head to replace the cheap ball head that comes with it. I picked one up used for $200 on B&H, though it appears to me deals like that are somewhat rare.

The Q-666c I bought because I needed something I could travel in Europe with for the documentary. It is made of carbon fiber and collapses down to a very small size, so it's great for travel. There might be better or at least cheaper options for a brickfilmer.

The Manfrotto 410, though expensive, is the best tripod head ever for brickfilming. You can rotate the years on it to precisely execute tilts and pans, perfect for stop motion.

I've used the Ravelli AVT quite a bit, as well; it seems adequate and the weight and build quality are pretty good. I find it difficult to execute good pans on this tripod and the head cannot be replaced, so those are limiting factors I've encountered.

Of course, it could be argued that you don't even need a tripod for brickfilming. It is my understanding that some professional stop motion animators use wooden posts with a screw mount attached to the top. This lets you attach a Manfrotto 410 or other nice head to the post, but because it is a post (with some kind of base), it doesn't have three sprawling legs to get in your way while animating, and it is not going to fall over so easily. Presumably you'd have to make different heights, or construct something that can raise up and down. I'd be interested in hearing about non-tripod approaches people have taken.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Re: What tripod do you use? (and is it good?)

Well, as far as non-tripod stuff goes, How to Not Rob a Bank is composed almost entirely of shots where I just slapped the camera onto the set, which usually situates it pointing right at the characters.  If ever I needed a slightly different angle, I would put LEGO pieces around it to tilt it up or down, and sometimes side to side.

However, sometime about half way through filming Vladimir Vango, I discovered my family's old tripod, although only a small tripod.  So I put some stuff under my set at the time and raised it up so that it would be level with the tripod.  Using the hinges on it, I was able to do pans and other motions like I'd never been able to do before.

Although, it is rather old, and I don't know what sort of brand it is.  It's  a bit uneven, and slightly shaky, but if you don't touch it much it works okay enough.  It probably wouldn't be a good idea to get this exact tripod, but I do think having a tripod like it of a similar size and shape would be nice.  I've also been wanting to get one.

This is what it looks like:

https://scontent-a-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/p480x480/59377_497616330261714_493745108_n.jpg?oh=ee9ba54b3435e94f1b845500cfadc237&oe=55632630

The main reason I like this relatively small size is that it's rather easy to build a dolly machine around as depicted here in this picture so I can still used the dolly to push the camera along whilst I can get more precise angles with the tripod (and by that I mean slant the camera excessively).
If anyone hasn't yet seen it and would like to, here's my camera motion video in which I put a bit more detail about the dolly rig: http://youtu.be/RWACQUVGBss

The disadvantage of this is that you'll have to have your set elevated particularly high above the base of the dolly so that the set and camera are level.

I'm currently doing this by having a smaller piece of furniture next to me table like this with the dolly and tripod on that:

https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3902/14979615612_1242016c17_c.jpg

If you look closely at the dolly you can see I've set it a bit lower than I actually need to but stacked some bricks under the tripod to elevate it to compensate, this way I can reduce the stack of bricks and easily lower it for an especially low angle on the subject.  Or I could stack the bricks higher for a higher angle.  And though it takes some doing, the white metal shelf I use for this can also have its height adjusted to be even lower for if I'm filming a set which is significantly less tall.

Overall, I really like dollies, and a tripod of this size is really good for that.  However, the tripod itself is not as good as it could be, so I'd suggest looking for something of a similar size.

I also recently got a big tripod that can go one the floor, but because of that it's much too big for my dolly.  I'm planning to use it for shots that are really high up, but, as of yet, I haven't animated anything for a film with it, although I did use it to take a few pictures of the town.

I have this tripod http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/6 … 63_AT.html, and these two heads: ball head,pan head. The tripod is good; it's sturdy, can hold a good amount of weight, and it's not to heavy to carry out into the field somewhere (though I wouldn't take it on a long hike), but heavy enough that it won't fall over. The ball head is also very solid, and I would certainly recommend it for anyone doing stills photography; everything but the knobs is made of metal, it holds onto the quick release plate very well, and the separate pan lock is awesome. There are also degree markings around the bottom that would probably be great for stop-motion pans, but I haven't needed a pan in a film since I got the tripod. The pan head, which I got for free, I would not suggest, simply because the horizontal and vertical movement are locked by the same nob. This means that when attempting a lateral pan, the weight of the lens will pull the camera forward, making a smooth pan very difficult. I attempted to do so in The Little Director, and the end result of 30 minutes of panning was still not that great. Stop-motion pans are entirely out of the question. I got the tripod for Christmas last year, and having not heard of Vanguard I was surprised with the quality, especially for the price. I would suggest looking at the brand if on the market for a tripod.

I've stopped using a tripod. During production for Unhealthy Foods, I kept getting really bad camera shakes and I had nothing to do with them. I never bumped the set or the camera. But then AquaMorph told me on the chat one day that it was because the tripod was on carpet. He said to add a weight to the tripod. I tried that, but it made it worse. So then I just placed the camera on the set above two pieces of clay. That seemed to solve all my problems. Plus, I can get closer up.

I use three tripods.

Ravelli AVT 67 Inch
I normally don't use this tripod for brickfilming, as it's very heavy and big (I prefer to go smaller and lighter). But it's an amazing tripod with a great head, and I use it for almost all of my filmmaking.RAVELLI LINK

Dolica ST-500 68 Inch
This tripod is my main tripod for brickfilming. I know most people want a heavy system for accidental bumps and stuff, but you won't be any happier with a tripod like the Ravelli. If you bump it, you bump it, redo the shot. It's made out of just aluminum and probably won't be a first pick for anyone, but nonetheless I use it frequently. DOLICA LINK

Sunpak SPK620520D 52-Inch
This is my smallest and lightest tripod. It's very cheap and you get what you pay for. I've already broken one knob on it, but I have been using it for about three years, and it's still my go-to low-profile tripod. It's very close to Squid's little one. SUNPAK LINK
All of these tripods are relatively cheap, but even though I don't use it as often as the others, I would ultimately recommend the Ravelli tripod.

Last edited by Gentry Studios (January 16, 2015 (07:30am))

Twitter | Instagram | YouTube Channel | Tumblr | My Weekly Film Podcast!
"For I am NOT ashamed of the Gospel of Christ" - Romans 1:16

Thanks for the responses, guys. It seems like tripods aren't a major point of contention among brickfilmers. I suppose not everyone even uses them, and most people aren't trying to execute detailed camera moves with them.

http://i.imgur.com/wcmcdmf.png

Huh, I forgot to post my tripod on here. mini/shifty

I use the Fairfax Elevator Tripod. I have no idea how old it is. I do know that my Mom bought it at a yard sale for a couple of dollars in the early 2000's. (Though it is super basic, because it only has one control knob on it). It has an elevator and extendable legs. It can get petty large, though I rarely need to extend the legs for brickfilming. The head was originally too loose, and the weight of my lens kept making it fall downward. I fixed it by jamming a piece of paper in it. Now it's almost too tight to rotate up and down. mini/tongue

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7314/16189639749_d1233afd84_c.jpgFairfax Elevator Tripod by rioforce, on Flickr

I tried using one of those new light-weight tripods, but it was prone to set bumps and I didn't trust it with my camera very well. I also have a mini tripod. I don't use it much for brickfilming, because my sets aren't elevated.

Can't say I actually recommend the tripod though, since it has such limited movement and it's joints aren't smooth. I'd really like to get proper tripod one of these days.

Last edited by rioforce (October 14, 2015 (06:22pm))

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

Massive bump.

I ended up getting a new tripod in early 2016.

I use the Bogen 3001 tripod legs (I took off the stock head) and a Manfrotto 410 tripod head.

http://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/Brickfilming/equipment/bogen-and-manfrotto.jpg
(dog not included)

I also have a Neewer macro geared focusing rail which I use for dolly and pan shots. It mounts atop my Manfrotto tripod head and provides good movement. It's slightly wobbly with both rails attached, but they come apart so you can have one at a time if you wish.

I'd be interested to revive this topic and hear what everyone else uses! Tripod discussions are three times as interesting than monopod discussions.

YouTubeWebsite
https://bricksafe.com/files/rioforce/internet-images/RioforceBiMSig.png
"Whatever you do, do all to the glory of God." - 1 Corinthians 10:31b

I use a Targus TGT-BK58T 58". It's very sturdy and very reliable. One thing that I love about it is that it has a carrying handle on the tripod. Another nice feature is that to move the pan head up and down there's a crank handle. I wouldn't trade this tripod for anything!

-Brickman

I'm using a DSLR so usually there isn't room on my table for the camera.   For this reason I do use a tripod.  I'm using a Manfroto video tripod: http://amzn.to/2oyI1UQ
It has really good control and mobility.  The only issue is that you have to make sure it is tight before you start filming or it can droop with a heavy camera.

Black and Yellow Bricks

BYBatman]
batcomputer
YouTube  | Facebook  |Twitter @RealBATRUMP

I have a Bogen 3236 (newer versions are the  Manfrotto 475B), it's great if you are doing standing animation work (which is better for your back) but it's a bit to big for sitting animation setups, it's rock solid plus it has a gear driven Y axis so if you use image stabilization you can get up and down tracking shots. And of course I use a Manfrotto 410 tripod head, just like god intended.
http://i.imgur.com/5kGT7qC.png

I also have a backup Bogen 3221 tripod with a Bogen #3030 head which is nice for shots I need the camera to be lower but it is not a sturdy as the 3236

For now, I just use my family's tripod, which I found the other day. It is an Optex T165. I believe it was worth roughly $65 at the time of purchase, and I don't think it is still being sold a lot. It is pretty light, so good to take for travelling, even on a long hike, and it gives very good camera stability. It attaches very well to the camera and does everything other tripods do like panning, tilting etc. The tripod is very flexible in its size, which is good. I haven't tried, but I think at its maximum height, you could only animate with it while standing up if you are 5 and a half foot or shorter mini/tongue. As I said at the start the stability is fine as long as you don't bump the tripod, however I am animating with the tripod on a carpet at the moment, and I'm thinking it might be worth putting a flat piece of wood or something underneath (which I will then probably stub my toes on numerous times mini/lol) so that the camera position doesn't move if I'm changing things like the focus or zoom on the camera. Would other people recommend doing this? Please let me know.

EDIT: After using my tripod some more, I have found that I can't take out the battery of the camera without taking it off the tripod, which may cause issues if it happens during the middle of a scene (luckily this time it didn't). It's just as well that an AC adapter is arriving on Monday mini/smile

Last edited by Dragon Brick Studios (April 15, 2017 (12:52pm))

YouTube   |  Twitter

Who even reads this?